Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WKLZ Sold to EMF

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
EdWalker

WKLZ Sold to EMF

Post by EdWalker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:40 am

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WKLZ Sold to EMF

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 am

Damn.

So K-Love is on its way to Northern Michigan.

Years ago, K-Love used to avoid markets that had incumbent Christian AC formats. Clearly, that is no longer the case! They recently invaded Atlanta (home to Salem's 104.7 The Fish) and Washington, D.C. (home to 91.9 WGTS), not to mention Seattle (home to the very successful Spirit 105.3).

I wonder - will they also purchase 105.5?

So, the rumors were right! Indeed, a Christian broadcaster is purchasing WKLZ - just not the one I expected!

Gee whiz, do we really need a third (!!!) station featuring Christian AC music in the area? I hope those who do like the format continue to support their LOCAL stations/ministries (WLJN and Smile FM)...not these carpetbaggers from California.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:24 pm

Don't forget Promise something too and the Catholics at 88.3

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 am

Also 95.9 Fuel FM.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 am
Damn.

Years ago, K-Love used to avoid markets that had incumbent Christian AC formats. Clearly, that is no longer the case! They recently invaded Atlanta (home to Salem's 104.7 The Fish) and Washington, D.C. (home to 91.9 WGTS), not to mention Seattle (home to the very successful Spirit 105.3).

So, the rumors were right! Indeed, a Christian broadcaster is purchasing WKLZ - just not the one I expected!

Gee whiz, do we really need a third (!!!) station featuring Christian AC music in the area? I hope those who do like the format continue to support their LOCAL stations/ministries (WLJN and Smile FM)...not these carpetbaggers from California.
Maybe they’ll buy a Grand Rapids station next.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:13 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 am
Also 95.9 Fuel FM.
Which is owned by WLJN.

From a market coverage standpoint, none of the Christian AC stations cover the entire market well.
Smile FM has a hole along Lake Michigan north of, say, Onekama (they have a translator in Manistee).
The Promise FM covers most of the market with the notable exception of the immediate Traverse City area (91.1 has a massive null aimed right at NMC's campus, dating back to when WNMC was on 90.9).
Fuel FM is weak in the northern and southwestern portions of the market (although 95.9 might be one of the best C2s in the market from a coverage standpoint).

Between 98.9 and their existing station on 90.5 in Sturgeon Bay, K-Love will cover a lot of Northern Michigan.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:24 am

As far as 105.5 is concerned, I'm not seeing anything at all interesting in the FCC public file, other than the Silent STA filed on December 19.

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/fm-profile/wsrj

I'm a little surprised EMF did not enter into a deal to also purchase 105.5. Coverage wise, it bookends 98.9 decently and would've provided a respectable signal in & around Traverse City proper. Was NBI asking too much money? Is the 105.5 tower owned or leased? If the latter, how much life remains on the lease?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:33 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 am
Damn.

I can't see many local listeners shifting support to a generic jukebox like K-Love. Can't even get a local weather forecast from these repeaters, let alone local news, personalities or info about community and church events. K-Love's overhead has gotta be dirt cheap....pretty much a power bill and a contract engineer. They can pull a razor-thin slice of the audience and still fill the coffers. I think most listeners will continue to put support behind Christian broadcasters who relate to them and offer true value to their communities.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:03 pm

I hope you're right.

If Seattle, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta are any indication, the Michigan-based stations should be successful in outdrawing K-Love by wide margins.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm

They also have 5-6-weeks of intense fundraising per year,

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

1litemix

Post by 1litemix » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 am

Any news on wklz?

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:15 am

1litemix wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:17 am
Any news on wklz?
As both the WKLT and WCFX sales have been approved by the FCC (though they don't appear to have gone to closing yet), I would expect the WKLZ sale to be approved any day now, likely next week.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic