Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Fox soon WCMU

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The Fox soon WCMU

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 pm

In terms of the price per head, Educational Media Foundation in Detroit just paid $3 per head (maybe even closer to $3.25).

Of course, Detroit is a major market, EMF has zero studio presence and maybe 1 contract engineer, and what little overhead does exist is much easier to absorb.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I know a station that is generating $120,000 annually with less than 1kW

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Location...location...location!

(...and good original programming, too!)

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am
If 45 North owns the WMJZ tower, and if 45 North can acquire the WFDX license without having to assume the lease obligation that NBI currently bears, it *might* make sense for them to purchase the WFDX license at, say, a $250,000 price point. Would not at all discount the possibility that the true economically feasible price point is less than $200,000.
45 North does indeed own the WMJZ tower. But I'd think real hard before taking on debt by purchasing and moving WFDX. More than likely you'd just be splitting much of the revenue you already have on one station with the newly-acquired second.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am

EdWalker wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:00 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am
If 45 North owns the WMJZ tower, and if 45 North can acquire the WFDX license without having to assume the lease obligation that NBI currently bears, it *might* make sense for them to purchase the WFDX license at, say, a $250,000 price point. Would not at all discount the possibility that the true economically feasible price point is less than $200,000.
45 North does indeed own the WMJZ tower. But I'd think real hard before taking on debt by purchasing and moving WFDX. More than likely you'd just be splitting much of the revenue you already have on one station with the newly-acquired second.
Most cluster owners or managers would tell you they could generate the same level of topline revenue with just 3-4 signals as they generate with their existing maximum allowable. Groups own them because its permitted and it keeps another competitor from being in the market, but it doesn't have a direct correlation to bottom line growth. In a small market you can imagine the scenario where a $500 a month client bumps their spend to $600 (in total) because they want to be on a new station. Of course, that $100 bump doesn't buy much, so they also want to split the budget between the two stations, so revenue on an established station goes down to make room for revenue on the new format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 pm

That $150,000 number certainly isn't aging well given the price WSRT received.

This is looking more & more like a sub-$100k situation.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Well, I happen to know someone who spoke with the current broker who rebuffed an offer of $75k, suggesting they would never entertain anything below $150k. At least they've cut their expenses down to $1500 a month tower rent... and whatever the area taxes are! :lol:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am

If I were buying WFDX, my strategy would be to apply to the FCC for an STA to operate at reduced power, keep the Petoskey translator in operation, apply to the FCC to reduce class status and change COL, and propose a Class A allotment to Atlanta to backfill the "loss of service."

If an Alpena area operator were to acquire the station, they could potentially move the antenna to the tower near Hillman, downgrade to C2, and keep the Atlanta COL.

Another thought that crossed my mind is whether or not someone would be gutsy enough to try to make a "go" of a 92.5 / 105.5 simulcast.

(I removed my earlier hypothesis about Biederman potentially being interested in WFDX at a rock bottom price for purposes of relocating the station to the WBCM-FM tower w/ COL change. I had forgotten about the fact he's already at his limit for in-market signals. He could still acquire WFDX, but he'd be unable to change the COL to a municipality within the Nielsen MSA.)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:54 am

Two thoughts, high costs of operations, low value population. NBI literally can't give the station away at this point.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 am

They are just being stingy. As noted by BigFreq, someone offered $75k. The offer was rejected.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Just 20 years ago, if memory serves, Rosseels got 650K for the original WBNZ, and Hoppe got just under 400K for his two stations over there, while retaining the tower sites. My my, how times have changed.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am
If I were buying WFDX, my strategy would be to apply to the FCC for an STA to operate at reduced power, keep the Petoskey translator in operation, apply to the FCC to reduce class status and change COL, and propose a Class A allotment to Atlanta to backfill the "loss of service."

If an Alpena area operator were to acquire the station, they could potentially move the antenna to the tower near Hillman, downgrade to C2, and keep the Atlanta COL.

Another thought that crossed my mind is whether or not someone would be gutsy enough to try to make a "go" of a 92.5 / 105.5 simulcast.

(I removed my earlier hypothesis about Biederman potentially being interested in WFDX at a rock bottom price for purposes of relocating the station to the WBCM-FM tower w/ COL change. I had forgotten about the fact he's already at his limit for in-market signals. He could still acquire WFDX, but he'd be unable to change the COL to a municipality within the Nielsen MSA.)
I'm surprised Midwestern hasn't bought WFDX considering it's technically an out-of-market station (unless it would put them over the limit in the Alpena area).

Even if Biederman had room to acquire WFDX, moving it to the WBCM tower with a COL change would almost be technically impossible without a massive downgrade due to first adjacents WRPP (C1) and WBNZ (C2). If the WBNZ license were to be cancelled (which should have happened years ago), WFDX might be able to move to 92.3 in the Petoskey area with a decent amount of power. For that to happen, WMKC would also have to move to 102.7 and possibly downgrade to Class C1, which I think is doable (the Class A Pentwater allocation and WRVM in Wisconsin might make it tricky)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:56 pm

WRPP wouldn't be an issue, but I forgot about WBNZ.

You're right. As the crow flies, the WBCM site would be short-spaced (probably by about 10 miles) to the WBNZ site for C2-to-C2 first channel adjacent.

A directional antenna would be required, and the COL would need to be a location that does meet minimum spacing requirements.

The WMKC, WCMW and WKLZ sites might barely be sufficiently spaced to allow for C2 operation @ 92.5 MHz.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 pm

There might be a way to do it more easily than that, but not really easy. Now that I've seen what has happened to WFBE and WLAV, I really don't like FM directional if it's not absolutely necessary. If you drop a new frequency in, you run the risk that someone else will comment on the Petition for Rule Making, and suggest another nearby town. It looks like if you have enough chess pieces, you can make it work. There are so many First Local Services involved that you all have mentioned, like Bear Lake, Beulah, Frankfort, and Atlanta, removing them without losing control of the process like resulted from the Schaberg Petitions, with every affected and competing licensee getting involved to block it, is something that would take years. The time to drop in Class As in thinly populated areas and being viable has past.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic