Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Don Melvoin - Somewhere In Time

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
moldyoldie

Don Melvoin - Somewhere In Time

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 am

For those who don't know, the romantic science fiction cult classic Somewhere In Time from 1980, shot predominately on Mackinac Island, features a bit speaking part for none other than Don Melvoin (Deputy Don and Count Zappula of '70s-'80s Northern Michigan local television). He's a blustery character ordering up "twenty dozen select jumbo oysters" to the waiter in the crowded dining room scene at the Grand Hotel.

If you already knew this, forgive the intrusion, I didn't know! :razz

Something else I didn't know -- actors William H. Macy and George Wendt (Norm on Cheers!) are in the crowd in the opening post-party scene. I barely recognized a young Macy, but he can be seen when the old Elise McKenna walks slowly toward Christopher Reeve. In another shot, Wendt has his back to the camera in the background and we never see his face, but his heavyset physical appearance is quite evident, partially concealed by a stage prop window frame. Hey, ya gotta start somewhere! :blink

All three are listed in the end credits.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Jim Sofonia

Re: Don Melvoin - Somewhere In Time

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:08 pm

I am a fan of that movie and have watched it many times didn't know those people were in it. Thanks, nice find.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Reese Rickards is the uncredited personality voice on WJJD in the movie. He was the father of the Reese Rickards on Grand Rapids area radio.

I thought the scene where Christopher Reeve was driving on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, and eventually DROVE out to Mackinac Island, and PARKED HIS CAR at the Grand Hotel, was funny, knowing what us "Michiganoids" (Jeff Holbrook should write a sequel, called "I'm A Michiganoid", with a Mackinac Island reference.) know.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:30 am

If there is a remake of the 1980 movie, actress Abigail Spencer (former NBC "Timeless") is one attractive woman!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic