Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Music squeeze on some stations

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Jim Sofonia

Music squeeze on some stations

Post by Jim Sofonia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm

Some of the stations in the TC area squeeze the music. It plays faster without changing pitch. Anyone who knows the music will notice the pace has changed, and the song ends early. It is an awful part of processing that ruins the the work of the original artist. If they wanted it that fast they would have performed it that way. Seems like licensed copy righted music should not allow this.

BigFreq

Re: Music squeeze on some stations

Post by BigFreq » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 pm

It's a weird feature some software engineer thought might be good to add within the automation software. In NexGen, you could squeeze it 3-3.5%, in hopes of getting one more tune an hour. CHR-oriented formats did it on a fairly regular basis, but the music was so new, no one knew better. But when Rock and AC started to do it, it was noticeably bad, as it threw off tempo on gold and recurrent tunes people had been listening to for decades and knew how is was to sound. Bad radio. As it pertains to copyrights and those who represent those, I'm not sure they care about that as much as they enjoy their monthly payments from broadcasters.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm

How old are you guys? This has been going on since the '60's when DJ's would wrap a file folder label on the turntable capstan to speed up the record. Faster they go, the more they could play.

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm
How old are you guys? This has been going on since the '60's when DJ's would wrap a file folder label on the turntable capstan to speed up the record. Faster they go, the more they could play.
I'm 68 and didn't hear this on the Cleveland stations I grew up with. Your turntable trick would be very apperant as the pitch would go up along with the pacing of the tune but I suppose some did it anyhow.
BigFreq wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 pm
Bad radio. As it pertains to copyrights and those who represent those, I'm not sure they care about that as much as they enjoy their monthly payments from broadcasters.
You're right that they probably don't care, just pay the license fee. Might be the music artists have to take action if they care.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Is it men or women are from mars wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Radio Sucks wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm
I'm 68 and didn't hear this on the Cleveland stations I grew up with. Your turntable trick would be very apperant as the pitch would go up along with the pacing of the tune but I suppose some did it anyhow.
I'll bet you a Right Brain beer that your Cleveland station sped up the songs when you were listening in your teens. Alan Freed used every trick in the book.
see the link below to read the entire thread where someone wrote:The practice of speeding up music on the radio came out of Top-40 and has been around since the late 1960s, if not earlier. This practice came about because in that era it was very common for two or more stations in a community to adopt a Top-40 format and to become very competitive in doing so. Competition meant that stations adopted a number of techniques and gimmicks to stand out against others running the same format. Turntables were modified so that they would play records a few percent faster than the nominal speeds of the records. Songs on stations not speeding up their music or on home record players would then sound as if they were "dragging" by comparison.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-radio-stat ... lf-step-up

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 pm

They should just do WCFL Mini Spins.

Is the whole waveform digitally edited, or does it just close the gaps?

Sometimes in the 1960s, they would speed it up and put the pitch in the cracks, as ~3% is a quarter step and drives musicians nuts, and the record company would release it that way to shave time below the 3:00 level. Sometimes great album tracks were just a little too long and were never released as singles. When you hear them today, people wonder why. Sometimes, another artist would remake it and truncate it in some way.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm

I'll bet you a Right Brain beer that your Cleveland station sped up the songs when you were listening in your teens. Alan Freed used every trick in the book.
If you had ponied up with a good beer, it would be a bet...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 am

CKLW was famous for doing this.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:00 am

It isn't/wasn't done just on the airwaves, but also on cassettes and CDs. For cassettes it meant less tape was used and CDs to not have to go to a second CD...saving the manufacturer $$$. I recently heard a Beatles song sped up so much they sounded like girls singing.

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 am
CKLW was famous for doing this.
It could be that CKLW did this, but I never noticed it at age 17. CKLW used to piss off the Cleveland broadcasters by being at or near the no. 1 ratings. It came into Cleveland like a strong local signal and everybody had a button on the car radio set to "CK"

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Two songs I recall that were released by the record companies notably faster on 45 rpm were Steely Dan's "Do it Again" and Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in Blue". The first example was especially egregious; when it was played on a turntable that was already sped up (as many were), it sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 pm
Two songs I recall that were released by the record companies notably faster on 45 rpm were Steely Dan's "Do it Again" and Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in Blue". The first example was especially egregious; when it was played on a turntable that was already sped up (as many were), it sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Do that with the Stayin' Alive album. It's hilarious lol

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm
If you had ponied up with a good beer, it would be a bet...
Obviously I need some "beer training" around here. I tend to stick to the ones I know - where am I missing out?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Who created CEO and every good beer Russ makes? John has the best overall line up of beers in the area. Joe does many nice beers, Andy just won best IPA and has a good line up and Nate and company make great Belgians.

EDIT
Brewery Terra Firma
Short's Brewery
Filling Station
Rare Bird Brewery

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic