Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Welcome to Marnesville Radio?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
cckadlec

Welcome to Marnesville Radio?

Post by cckadlec » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 am

A 29-second repeating loop, which can be heard here: "Welcome to Marnesville Radio. Breaking news is... (?), F - I - S - O - W - T - M - E - U - E - S - E - E - R - H - T. That concludes our broadcast. Thank you."

Is such a message familiar to anyone?

This was heard in the null of the semi-locals on 100.3 in Mackinaw City on Tuesday afternoon, specifically at my main radio site at the observation pier where I was listening for 7 hours. In the last 9 times I have done radio work at this site, this is the first I have heard this.

I would have to suspect it is a personal transmitter rebroadcasting something, but it's an awfully weird thing to be broadcasting, even if it were a default message for something. I didn't hear it anywhere else in the area on that day. Typical reception here is from northern Michigan, Barrie, Green Bay, the UP, and Milwaukee, but no translators (that I'm aware of off the top of my head) that are preparing to sign on to 100.3 and I'm too lazy to research it at the moment.

Either way, likely very local but weak and buried in the null, reminding me of the numbers stations I used to report on in Korea on MW.

Any thoughts are welcome. When it comes to my radio work, I don't appreciate the unknowns.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

audiophile

Re: Welcome to Marnesville Radio?

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 pm

What if it was Barnesville?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Sounds like a spy number station, but it's a letter station. Don't know where it would be coming from. One side would say The Russians, the other the Chinese. During W W I and W W II, German and Japanese spies used Shortwave. I'd say call a federal agency, but I don't know which one or who. Call a patriotic attorney.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:00 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 pm
What if it was Barnesville?
That would still not help me in identifying it though...

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:05 pm
Sounds like a spy number station, but it's a letter station. Don't know where it would be coming from. One side would say The Russians, the other the Chinese. During W W I and W W II, German and Japanese spies used Shortwave. I'd say call a federal agency, but I don't know which one or who. Call a patriotic attorney.
Exactly. That's what I was thinking about the numbers stations (just letters!). It reminded me of standing there recording the spy stations on SW in Korea when I was finishing up my radio work over there. This one just caught me off-guard because... what the heck?! Everything else I hear is easy to ID and is a licensed station. I don't know what to do with this one.

Can anyone figure out the little part I'm missing after "breaking news"?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic