Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anchors sellling instead of reporting

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
mr v

Anchors sellling instead of reporting

Post by mr v » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm

I watched part of the TV 29 & 8 newscast ten days ago, the news anchor read the "Two minute drill" sports and went right into mentioning each and every business on their website. They took the station website full screen and someone highlighted each business while the anchor was talking about their deals. It was very unprofessional and they had (it seemed) at least ten businesses to mention. Does that happen every week?

organman95

Re: Anchors sellling instead of reporting

Post by organman95 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:50 am

Have not watched 29&8 newscast in a long time. Maybe a slow news day?

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 am

Nothing new here. The 7&4/29&8 newscasts have a long history of devoting lengthy news segments to the opening and expansion of businesses in the TC area, especially banks and brokerage houses.

9&10 also does frequent and lengthy remotes featuring local businesses during the Michigan This Morning show.

Mentioning businesses on the station website seems a logical extension of these practices. That said, it also strikes me as unprofessional and disrespectful to viewers to keep plugging the station website: People who tuned in to WATCH the newscast expect the full news product INSTEAD of having to go to the station website, and not everyone has Internet access.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:07 pm

If they have banner ads for businesses on their website then it is what is called Non Traditional Revenue and the business pays to have the banner and click thru there. A common practice in radio and TV and the contract may include the on air plug as well.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:52 am

WC8KCY wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 am
Mentioning businesses on the station website seems a logical extension of these practices. That said, it also strikes me as unprofessional and disrespectful to viewers to keep plugging the station website: People who tuned in to WATCH the newscast expect the full news product INSTEAD of having to go to the station website, and not everyone has Internet access.
Hence why I said "slow news day"...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic