Lots of new registrations this past week; thank you! Registrations in the queue from March 26 through March 27 at 7:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV RF Channel Changes

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: TV RF Channel Changes

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:21 pm

I think it is stupid that WGTU and WPBN broadcast from the same tower.

Why not move one of the stations to the Harietta tower so as to render the 15 kW translator unnecessary?

C'mon 106.7 WSRT - flip to 90's & early 00's Classic Country!!!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:21 pm
I think it is stupid that WGTU and WPBN broadcast from the same tower.

Why not move one of the stations to the Harietta tower so as to render the 15 kW translator unnecessary?
I've thought that from the beginning... isn't WFQX & WWTV doing the same in Cadillac? The power and coverage, to me, doesn't make any sense why one would be less than the other in that case

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am

I've thought that from the beginning... isn't WFQX & WWTV doing the same in Cadillac? The power and coverage, to me, doesn't make any sense why one would be less than the other in that case
Yes, but bear in mind the following:
- WWTV gets out really, really well (and both CBS & FOX are available on WWTV's digital signal);
- CBS & FOX are available on WWTV's digital translator in TC;
- CBS & FOX are also available on WFUP (although it appears WFUP might be transmitting at reduced power under an STA at the moment).

So, really, the argument is WFQX is duplicative and unnecessary. However, if Heritage were to ditch WFQX, they'd then need to apply to make WFUP a satellite of WWTV in order to preserve areal coverage of CBS and FOX programming to far northern lower Michigan. I am not sure how easy or difficult that would be. I presume that would be considered a major modification in the eyes of the FCC. Also, I am not sure how or if FOX would tolerate being on a ".2" station, although they seem to have no issue with such a situation in the South Bend market!

While I'm on my soapbox, I've gotta say that the WTOM transmitter site is in such a stupid location!! Tons of coverage overlap with WGTQ, and the areas in the Little Traverse Bay region are either terrain shadowed or suffer from weak signal. In the analog days, the location made sense because cable systems near the Soo and near Alpena could pick up the signal off-air. There are plenty of broadcast towers near Petoskey, Boyne City, etc. WTOM should move to one of those.

C'mon 106.7 WSRT - flip to 90's & early 00's Classic Country!!!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 am
Yes, but bear in mind the following:
- WWTV gets out really, really well (and both CBS & FOX are available on WWTV's digital signal);
- CBS & FOX are available on WWTV's digital translator in TC;
- CBS & FOX are also available on WFUP (although it appears WFUP might be transmitting at reduced power under an STA at the moment).

So, really, the argument is WFQX is duplicative and unnecessary. However, if Heritage were to ditch WFQX, they'd then need to apply to make WFUP a satellite of WWTV in order to preserve areal coverage of CBS and FOX programming to far northern lower Michigan. I am not sure how easy or difficult that would be. I presume that would be considered a major modification in the eyes of the FCC. Also, I am not sure how or if FOX would tolerate being on a ".2" station, although they seem to have no issue with such a situation in the South Bend market!

While I'm on my soapbox, I've gotta say that the WTOM transmitter site is in such a stupid location!! Tons of coverage overlap with WGTQ, and the areas in the Little Traverse Bay region are either terrain shadowed or suffer from weak signal. In the analog days, the location made sense because cable systems near the Soo and near Alpena could pick up the signal off-air. There are plenty of broadcast towers near Petoskey, Boyne City, etc. WTOM should move to one of those.
In regards to FOX being on .2, isn't FOXUP on .2, and either .2 or .3 in Alpena? I don't think it's much of an issue these days, as long as the coverage and advertising are there.

And for the WTOM - WGTQ overlap... I've said that since the beginning of the simulcasting. Without looking at the charts, couldn't WGTQ be moved closer to St. Ignace to cover that entire area and then simply dump WTOM? I would think that would be a H*** savings. I will say, back in the analog days, it was kind of fun in Cheboygan to simply turn a television on without any antenna, and receive WTOM in some sort of quality, depending where you were from the transmitter. I lived about 3 miles as the crow flies, and could get it clear as day without an antenna. If the air was blowing just right, I could also pickup WGTQ without an antenna, granted exceptionally low quality picture lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic