Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm

A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.


"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 10775
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 26, 2023 1:08 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:45 am
organman95 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:32 pm
ADD in TC wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:53 pm
Someone should notify the folks over at Black Diamond Broadcasting of this.95.1 95.3 and 98.1 have been airing an open carrier for at least the last four hours.
Didn't Del go that route with his stl's over a decade ago?

I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I can't. Seems almost everyone is airing open carriers now for one reason or another. I think most of them are technical issues though.
Using the internet for your STL instead of microwave is usually the culprit.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 10775
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 26, 2023 1:13 pm

I was picking up this station yesterday in Traverse City...

CKFX-FM 101.9 MHz
North Bay, Ontario
"101.9 Rock"
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm
A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.
Off-air can work, but it can come back to bite you during "conditions" when you inadvertently end up simulcasting a co-channel FM from hundreds of miles away. Doesn't happen often, but it certainly can. :smokin
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm
A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.
Off-air can work, but it can come back to bite you during "conditions" when you inadvertently end up simulcasting a co-channel FM from hundreds of miles away. Doesn't happen often, but it certainly can. :smokin
I would say that most of the stations don't use an adequate receiving antenna. Some home brew and modified stock antennas may work better than what they have. This site has plans and analysis for antennas with very high Front to Largest Side Lobe ratio, often 20 to 30 dB. Unless the interfering station is in the same direction, this eliminates a lot of problems like that.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm

There is a nearby station that uses this inexpensive antenna to pick up an FM station about 60 miles away and rebroadcast it.

Image

This link has a relatively simple plan to add a fifth element and considerably improve performance, including front to largest side lobe ratio.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/stellar.htm

Here's a 5 element Home Brew antenna link.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/five.htm

The author claims that the materials for this and other designs can be obtained at Home Depot.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by ftballfan » Fri May 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm
A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.
Off-air can work, but it can come back to bite you during "conditions" when you inadvertently end up simulcasting a co-channel FM from hundreds of miles away. Doesn't happen often, but it certainly can. :smokin
90.9 WYVM in Sheboygan, WI picks up 102.7 WRVM over the air. However, during a lake inversion event, WYVM (as well as other Sheboygan-area translators of WRVM on 95.3 and 100.5) will often pick up 102.7 WMOM.

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm

I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

ftballfan
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm
I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
1210 is slightly more valuable because it has the translator attached to it

User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 pm

I don't know why they put 1210 there. It seems like Harold Munn would have steered them away from that site for more than one reason. The only other good reason would be is if they planned to have an FM station that could be located there. It's a decent HAAT at ground level, kind of like the WTCM-FM site, but closer to Traverse City. They moved 1210 from Saginaw/Frankenmuth to Kingsley to upgrade what was WCHB 1200, now WMUZ, to 50000 watts, which would seriously overlap WKNX 1210. It was all connected. The only other reason might be the prohibitive cost of land closer to Traverse City. They later tried to move it to Greilickville, but the ill advised First Local Service policy to Kingsley prevented it. Maybe Mr. Munn had a drop in frequency in mind at that location. He was known to think ahead like that.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ADD in TC
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by ADD in TC » Sat May 18, 2024 10:52 am

Looking through the FCC data base,it would appear that WLDR's license expired back on April 16th for being off air for over a year.

II that's the case,what now happens to the 101.9 frequency?

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 18, 2024 5:03 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm
I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
1210 is slightly more valuable because it has the translator attached to it
Yep. VERY slightly :smokin
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

ftballfan
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by ftballfan » Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 5:03 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm
I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
1210 is slightly more valuable because it has the translator attached to it
Yep. VERY slightly :smokin
That value advantage would disappear if an FM translator attached to an AM could separate from said AM to rebroadcast another station, which is allowed in some cases and not in others.
ADD in TC wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 10:52 am
Looking through the FCC data base,it would appear that WLDR's license expired back on April 16th for being off air for over a year.

II that's the case,what now happens to the 101.9 frequency?
Other Henderson licenses have been mostly off for years in the past and still remained licensed. The former 100.1 Bear Lake was mostly silent for 15-20 years before having its license yanked.

Is First Local Service still a thing? I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)

EdWalker
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by EdWalker » Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 am

ftballfan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm
I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
I can't imagine anyone with any common sense moving another signal in TC.

ftballfan
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by ftballfan » Tue May 21, 2024 7:44 pm

EdWalker wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 am
ftballfan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:20 pm
I did see that a 100.7 was dropped in at Bear Lake after 99.9 was assigned to Custer. If that allocation gets moved toward TC, then another station would likely have to backfill and change its COL to Bear Lake (likely WIAA or WTCM-FM)
I can't imagine anyone with any common sense moving another signal in TC.
Maybe Smile FM? They could then dump the two translators they currently have in TC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic