Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kevin Essebaggers leaving for CMU

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
T’Variuness King

Kevin Essebaggers leaving for CMU

Post by T’Variuness King » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:54 pm

Sources inside 9&10 News are saying Kevin Essebaggers is leaving the anchor desk for CMU. The bleeding of talent has become a big issue for management. Who is next?

Taco

Re: Kevin Essebaggers leaving for CMU

Post by Taco » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 pm

New logo, long time staffer leaves shortly after. A coincidence? I wonder.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:06 am

That just means that Bill Froelich is that much closer to anchoring all the newscasts on one day... his life long goal....
You can blame Bill for most of the issues there at the Comma.... News Director who is arrogant, jealous, pompous, and lacks the anchor persona.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:11 am

Taco wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 pm
Word on the street is that he gave them an ultimatum - either the logo goes, or I go.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:04 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:11 am
Taco wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 pm
Word on the street is that he gave them an ultimatum - either the logo goes, or I go.
:lol

Oh, wait - you serious?

Kevin has practically grown up before NM viewers' eyes on Brewvine & 10. He's a staple.

If it's true he's leaving after ~25 years (the last year or so probably rather tumultuous & extra hours), a 9-5x5 job at a place he's always had a relationship with seems like a better reason than logo disgust.

But it would be a good story...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am

Hmmm.

Help me out here; I don't understand the fascination with those that read the news.

When I first saw Essebaggers, I thought: "Wow. Stiff. Actually seems a little startled or scared by the experience of being on air. Typical small market". He's not the train wreck that Hank Winchester is (was?) but certainly not anyone notable. He reads the news okay, which is my entire criteria for a news reader, but beyond that.....who cares? He is reading copy often prepared with a political slant, and offers just a few personal words here and there.

Now, if this was Devin Scillian from WDIV, I could understand the concern; he hosts other ad libbed productions, does well with live events like the parade and the Woodward Cruise, etc.

Bring me someone that can read the news without stuttering or lisping who works cheap enough that Ebel's spot prices don't have to go up and therefore my meat prices don't either. That kinda covers it for me.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:19 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am
Hmmm.

Help me out here; I don't understand the fascination with those that read the news.
Sounds like an engineer's slant...

Not sure I'd call it fascination, or agree with you that the subject just reads the news.

When a long-timer from a station in a 'Typical small market' leaves after 25 years, viewers wonder why.

When an engineer leaves - who knows? Or cares?

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm

There is a sense of safety when you see a familiar face on the television night in and night out. Mr. ESSEBAGGERS left for CMU a few years ago, but came back after a semester....

Like I said, point the finger at Bill Froelich, he has his head up the new owners ass..... and that is forcing good talent out the door. Shocked Lauren Scafidi and Adam Bartlemay are still there.... and Mike Stevens.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 pm

kager wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:19 pm

Sounds like an engineer's slant...
Yup.
kager wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:19 pm

When an engineer leaves - who knows? Or cares?
Ahhh, spoken with full embracement of the true spirit of most in the Buzzboard. Slap that keyboard and show that other guy who's boss.

Let's just say that the open-mouthed, wide-eyed, frazzled, confused, and totally helpless everywhere in the station ranging all the way from the GM down all the way to the air staff when something goes wrong is who very strongly cares when the engineer leaves.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 pm

Was Kevin TC based or Cadillac based?

It seems like they are placing more emphasis on places where there are advertising dollars. Aside from the fat butcher from some dinkwad town, those dollars are in Traverse City. Bill and Adam live in TC. That might be part of this mystery.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:36 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 pm
Bill and Adam live in TC. That might be part of this mystery.
What does that have to do with Kevin leaving?

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:38 pm

BirdieKingBobo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:54 pm
Like I said, point the finger at Bill Froelich, he has his head up the new owners ass..... and that is forcing good talent out the door. Shocked Lauren Scafidi and Adam Bartlemay are still there.... and Mike Stevens.
When did the station get a new owner? Don't recall hearing it was for sale.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:55 am

organman95 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:36 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:07 pm
Bill and Adam live in TC. That might be part of this mystery.
What does that have to do with Kevin leaving?
My comment was directed at the statement that Bill F is pushing people out.

Don't you think Kevin just wanted a change and a pay increase? That's why most people in media leave.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:15 pm

It's not a secret to anyone who knows that Pompous Comma, Bill Froelich, that he's the one pushing everyone out. He wants all the attention; yet he doesn't realize that he has the face and talent for print media; not television media. The new logo is a portrait of Bill... A Human comma who thinks he's a 10.... but he's just the punctuation mark at the end of a joke...

Surprised Bill's Bio isn't in the Anchor, Meteorologist, Sports, Reporter, and Cameraman sections. Hell, just put a special section on the website just for Bill's bio.... That is how he thinks of himself....

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:09 pm

Sounds like a chip on the shoulder. Are you an idiot or just pretending?

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic