Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wsym weather in house

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Jack5o2soco

Wsym weather in house

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:59 pm

Sugden posted updates to a few topics we've discussed in here. He said before they hired two new meteorologists, but he only mentions one now. Maybe it was a typo or maybe something happened. He says he's staying but based on the comments they're trying to move him to Lansing perhaps? He's being rather candid.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz

sinklair

Re: Wsym weather in house

Post by sinklair » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:00 am

It’s a hybrid model that won’t work. Brad is staying in GR, commuting to Lansing 2 days a week or so.

If Brad doesnt want to be in Lansing, he should just take a job elsewhere. But it sounds like he was a jerk in Flint, and doesn’t have much of a fan base in GR/Lansing either.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:10 am

Kinda surprised that Fox17 hasn't used Brad as a fill in when the mets take a day off as weekend weather met left Fox17 as of last week, from the GR forum I just saw.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:17 am

Fox 17 doesn’t want sweaty Brad anywhere needs its broadcasts. In fact, they don’t even want Brad working out of GR. They put up with him, because they are told to by Scripps management. But as bad as morale, revenue, and ratings are at Fox 47, this “arrangement” with Sugden needs to change.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:08 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:17 am
Fox 17 doesn’t want sweaty Brad anywhere needs its broadcasts. In fact, they don’t even want Brad working out of GR. They put up with him, because they are told to by Scripps management. But as bad as morale, revenue, and ratings are at Fox 47, this “arrangement” with Sugden needs to change.
Why were they told to "put up with him?"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:49 pm

high fidelity wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:08 pm
sinklair wrote:
Why were they told to "put up with him?"
From what I understand, your source (above) is a former TV guy who is sad about not being in journalism any longer. I would take his expertise with a grain of salt.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 pm

How could they use Brad? It seems like he has his hands full doing WSYM solo. He was on morning and night during the snow and cold.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:26 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sweaty? Why wouldn't they want him working there? His former coworkers seemed to like him? Burkhart and him banter on Facebook all the time.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:46 pm

See TC Talks post above.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:10 pm

Right. To Sinklair's point, Brad should be in Lansing. If the job was posted with a home location as GR then it might not be that simple. "Thunderstorm" posted the original job posted and it advertising being based out of Grand Rapids. Sounds like management should have waited to hire anyone until the weather system was in place. Now they're stuck through his contract probably. I guess we'll see Brad leave or transfer on an anniversary date depending on how long he signed up for. Anyone know how long? Previous posts and FTV Live have articles slamming WSYM managers.

I have to say I'm feeling a bit of sorrow for most folks between Flint, Lansing, Detroit, and Grand Rapids and the awful management stories.

Sampling around, Brad's replacements in Flint are unwatchable. Kirtek needs to retire and Isaac is a board. Christine is the best one they got. Easlick is good and so is the new girl. The other two are young. The guy on 25 clearly doesn't want to be there. Lansing is full of kids or men older than me that are tired. Detroit is now a stepping stone market after that guy went to FOX weather from FOX2.

Michigan Storm Chasers on Facebook might be the best weather coverage now.

TedTimTv

Post by TedTimTv » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:45 pm

I sense some jealousy from Sinklair. He's a top-notch meteorologist who was hired to start weather at a station that hasn't had it in decades. We've all enjoyed having him around the past few weeks. You should have seen his excitement! The new graphics look amazing. Somehow, he did it all while covering the snowstorms and training the new meteorologist. He's dedicated.

Our counterparts over in news act like they have no idea what they're doing. Corporate says one thing, and they say another. Half our employees complain about not knowing expectations. The corporate reps are here quite often claiming we are not living up to the neighborhood model. This is because news managers who have no experience think they know better. Brad is the one thing they've never mentioned we need to fix - other than why is he not in Lansing originally.

Him and I talk often and have become close. He has had offers elsewhere that he's turned down. He actually wants to be in Lansing occasionally because he says WXMI meteorologists are taking their frustrations with doing weather for us out on him.

He was supposed to be based out of GR until Scripps decided on the new model with three meteorologists and a new weather system. He has a boyfriend over there and is building a life for himself. After trying to move him here, it was determined they've leave him in GR until his contract is up. It was a nasty, nasty fight. I'm not positive, but I'd bet a Buffalo nickle, that's why he took leave.

No one from their management team has ever even been over there to see his work space or help support him. Neille thought he had full access to their studio and people counting him down. So, I can assure you that being told to put up with him is completely false. He's in his own studio away from everyone else. He worked around-the-clock to make sure FOX17 could put all their resources into their own product. He's taken over their filling in many times because they send us awful, short, useless weather segments.

Most of my clients refer to him as their favorite compared to others in the market. He gets recognized all over the area already, too. He's taken the time to get to know the whole area. FOX17 would be lucky to have him (as much as I'd hate to see him go). Anyone would. We sell more than FOX17, and Brad is making it easy. We're constantly 105-109% of goals.

I'm sure they will try to snag him up when their has-been chief retires, Candace never comes back from maternity leave, Haleigh moves to Detroit, or the weekend kid moves on.

I can't stand watching him being talked about in such a completely false manner. No one is perfect, including him, but the jealousy over one of the best meteorologists in the state is shining bright.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:04 am

Ted Tim: I’m glad you like Brad.

But the rosey picture you paint simply isn’t the full picture.

The disinvestment Scripps has made to Fox 47 and Fox 17 has hurt both stations. To have a meteorologist forecasting for a market he’s not in makes no sense except for cost savings.

The Fox 47 GM (now station manager) has caviar dreams in a Bud Light budget. He’s tried imposing his will, only to infuriate those in his building and at WXMI. It’s the same failed relationship he had when he had local news produced by WILX.

The constant rotation of news directors hasn’t helped. Neille’s know it all attitude hasn’t helped. This stupid community News concept has not caught on.

Other Scripps stations are facing similar ratings and revenue decreases. Talent are looking to leave as soon as their contracts end.

Spin it how you want, but Brad has been a pain, he’s not even close to David Young or Andy P when it comes to trust, knowledge, ot ratings.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:13 am

Sounds like it's management, not him, according to what you just stated

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 am

There’s enough diva attitude that has made Brad not universally loved at Fox 17.

But you’re right that Scripps management screwed this up from day one. They probably thought there would be some efficiencies by hubbing weather out of Grand Rapids. By calling it a “Chief Meteorologist” (even though there were no other Mets on WSYM’s staff — and having him work out of the bigger city — that you might get a better candidate, keep them longer, etc

However, it just hasn’t worked. No one wants to admit it out loud. And no one wants to really talk about if what they are doing with remote weather needs to change — and whether Brad is the right person for the job.

Every News Director has said, correctly, that weather’s the number one reason to turn to the station. So if you have the #3 or 4 Met in the market, there’s simply no opportunity for ratings growth.

deathstar

Post by deathstar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:24 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 am
There’s enough diva attitude that has made Brad not universally loved at Fox 17.

But you’re right that Scripps management screwed this up from day one. They probably thought there would be some efficiencies by hubbing weather out of Grand Rapids. By calling it a “Chief Meteorologist” (even though there were no other Mets on WSYM’s staff — and having him work out of the bigger city — that you might get a better candidate, keep them longer, etc

However, it just hasn’t worked. No one wants to admit it out loud. And no one wants to really talk about if what they are doing with remote weather needs to change — and whether Brad is the right person for the job.

Every News Director has said, correctly, that weather’s the number one reason to turn to the station. So if you have the #3 or 4 Met in the market, there’s simply no opportunity for ratings growth.
Fox 17 has major culture problems and reporters that think they’re better than everyone else. If they say Brads a diva they’re probably projecting..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic