Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

92.9 vs 94.9

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
HD74

92.9 vs 94.9

Post by HD74 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm

I’ve been locked on 94.7 out of Detroit for about 2 months due to a lucky antenna failure.
I caught 92.9 about a week ago and thought I was hearing a special Saturday night show.
But.
Turns out they have really opened up their playlist!
WMMQ had the power in this area, but narrowed their playlist down to what the youngster programming “classic rock” understands to be what people in this demographic want to hear. You have lost WMMQ. Fix it or fade away.
Great job cruising 92.9, you have stolen the format from the “old masters”
Rock On.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

ChrisWL1980

Re: 92.9 vs 94.9

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:07 pm

I'm not even a classic rock fan, but I still find myself regularly impressed by something Cruisin' played. It kind of reminds me of WHMI before Krol took it over.
Midwest seems to be doing a pretty good job with its Lansing stations at the moment. I enjoy Stacks and Duke as well and while I'm not an active rock listener Q106 seems to do what it does very well.
All WMMQ does now is parrot back the Townsquare corporate playlist. Compare WMMQ's playlist to US 103.1 in Lapeer, or 105.7 in Albany NY, they are identical. The lack of localism on Townsquare's stations is very noticeable whenever I listen, the stations sound satellite-fed and canned, not unlike iHeart stations such as Star 105.7 or Big 101.3.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 92.9 vs 94.9

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:33 am

You're right that WMMQ and WQUS are identical in the overnight hours. I'll have to do another comparison in middays to see if they are the same.

WRKR, interestingly enough, uses its own playlist.

I know on the weekend, a lot of like-formatted Townsquare stations now run common programming. It's easy to tell because the DJ refers to "our station" or "our app" without ever mentioning the station brand. Weekday middays on some stations are programmed in the same manner.

You are correct that iHeart has been following a similar strategy on many of its stations (especially in small & medium markets) during the weekend. I heard one such program on WSNX last Saturday around Noon (it was not a countdown show).

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic