Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reports Of Possible FM Pirate Near Haslett

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Ben Zonia

Reports Of Possible FM Pirate Near Haslett

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 pm

A friend of mine reports hearing a station near Haslett on 93.3 that plays 70s Music. She insists it's 93.3, no TOH ID or talking between tracks.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Reports Of Possible FM Pirate Near Haslett

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 pm

I doubt it'd be a pirate on 93.3 FM.

That's where the FM translator for WXLA 1180 is located, which delivers a very good signal throughout the entire Lansing area. That station plays a decent dose of music from the 70s, too.

Perhaps someone has a legal FM modulator one or two doors over and is using 93.3 FM to stream audio from one device to another?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 pm

That's where the FM translator for WXLA 1180 is located, which delivers a very good signal throughout the entire Lansing area. That station plays a decent dose of music from the 70s, too.

Perhaps someone has a legal FM modulator one or two doors over and is using 93.3 FM to stream audio from one device to another?
I didn't see that on the list on fccdata.com when I entered Haslett, MI in the search. I just saw the Jackson WJKN translator. That has to be it, though they should be IDing. The format reasonably matches her description. She swore up and down there were no commercials, no announcers, and no ID. She doesn't know a lot about radio. She's Green and White all the way, and usually listens to WKAR-FM. Despite being born in Ann Arbor due to her father getting a Masters there at the time...

Speaking of 70s Music, did you notice that WRME MeTV FM 87.75 Chicago had the best showing in its history this month, at 8th Place, 6th Place Middays, despite not even being in the FM Band, difficult to tune, and some FM radios won't even go that low? Come to think of it, WYLO (Way Low) would be good call letters for a Franken FM. Once used on 540 Jackson Milwaukee. Wonder what WJMK Bridgeport and WGTO Cassopolis show up with. I don't think they subscribe. And 101.3 in Grand Rapids is going to 70s? Our buddy who began his career at WCCW circa 1960 would say you can't sell the format.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WY ... d=&lang=en

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:46 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:08 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 pm

I didn't see that on the list on fccdata.com when I entered Haslett, MI in the search. I just saw the Jackson WJKN translator. That has to be it, though they should be IDing. The format reasonably matches her description. She swore up and down there were no commercials, no announcers, and no ID. She doesn't know a lot about radio. She's Green and White all the way, and usually listens to WKAR-FM. Despite being born in Ann Arbor due to her father getting a Masters there at the time...
Could depend on when and how long she listened. WXLA airs station drops regularly, branding as Easy 93.3. The TOH legal ID includes WXLA 1180 and the W227DO FM translator at 93.3.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:03 pm

The Translator for WXLA is on the same tower as WHZZ 101.7 at the 600 W. Cavanaugh Rd. site. I haven't been to the East Lansing Area since the virus. When I am there, I have time to explore the AM and FM Band, while the others are at the Wharton Center seeing "Les Miserables" or some other depressing Show. That's why I missed it.

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:01 pm

101.3 in GR is mostly 60s & 70s oldies these days. Once in a while, an early 80s song will play. It's a good mix of music. Plenty of rock, classic soul and pop hits from days gone by. Lots of 60s music is part of the mix, too, not just a small amount.

92.9 in Lansing is 70s based classic rock, with some 60s and 80s stuff sprinkled in occasionally. They call themselves "Lansing's Greatest Hits" but I've yet to hear any non-rock titles.

101.3 and 92.9 flipped to their current formats at nearly the same time, interestingly enough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic