Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Time for Shortwave in Russia

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
otrfan

Time for Shortwave in Russia

Post by otrfan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:40 pm

Putin's Russia will put reporters in jail for up to 15 years for saying things about the invasion of Ukraine that it doesn't want people to hear. They're even restricting access to Facebook and other forms of social media. Might be time to resurrect some old school technology. Like shortwave radio.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Calvert DeForest

Re: Time for Shortwave in Russia

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:27 am

Hopefully Russia doesn't revert to old-school Soviet jamming of incoming SW signals from outside "the curtain". To my knowledge the U.S. has never engaged in any such jamming. I remember tuning to Radio Moscow in the Cold War days for some entertaining communist propaganda. The announcers always sounded like they were in a tin can. Apparently they hadn't heard of sound-proofing foam.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:27 am
Hopefully Russia doesn't revert to old-school Soviet jamming of incoming SW signals from outside "the curtain". To my knowledge the U.S. has never engaged in any such jamming.
Unlike Russia, the US had never engaged in censorship of foreign media, even if it's blatantly false propaganda. Which is why in the modern era, you can still get RT online in the US, but in Russia, foreign media had become blocked, and anyone who dares to tell the truth contrary to the Russian version of the "truth", they would face 15 years imprisonment.

(The EU, however, had blocked RT, mainly due to the fact that they're closer to the action. But that being said, no one in Western Europe jammed Russian or Iron Curtain signals during the Cold War.)

edj

Post by edj » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:27 pm

Is the Buzzer still running?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:42 am

I would not be so sure that Russians would be listening. 1- Does Russia still have shortwave? 2- Will the Russian even listen, as they are used to the propoganda.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:59 pm

We need to give them propaganda that the Russians don't want their people to hear.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:59 pm
We need to give them propaganda that the Russians don't want their people to hear.
As they say in the old GI Joe PSAs, "Knowing is half the battle."

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Well, I am not so sure most will listen. Did you see Putin's celebration of Crimea speech this morning? Packed stadium hearing the propaganda directly... and quite a few younger people seen. They are brainwashed and emotionally thinking of the Czar, who is killing them and has a compound VERY CLOSE to Ukraine, with a church and hockey rink.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic