Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Geoff Hopwood

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
richmichaels

Geoff Hopwood

Post by richmichaels » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:20 am

Too often we're on BB only to lament another passing.

I do not have the details, although I know he had been battling with health issues, that Geoff Hopwood passed. It is - again - with a heavy heart we mourn another loss. Geoff was one of the most ethical and decent hard-working people I ever met. It blew me away for years that I would be in the radio station by 6am and he was not far behind. He was always first to work and truly showed empathy and compassion and fought for his clients. I used to rag on him about his "FILING SYSTEM" of various stacks of paper. This was the same filing 'system' he kept in his car.

One time, he was driving down Jolly road and his car door flew open and all his papers (sales contracts, etc) flew out the door. A listener called the Morning show, we identified the poor guy as one of our own and we had listeners stopping to help him 'rearrange his office' and get back on the road.

He took it very well, although a little embarrassed. I miss and loved these colleagues and it's a sad moment. Hug those around you and pray to God that this pandemic is soon over and my hope is we all see each other again someday.

Sorry for the heavy tone and not to be maudlin, but these last couple years have been a wake up call. Be nice to those around you.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Geoff Hopwood

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:45 am

Very sad to see this. I remember Geoff from my two tours of duty at WFMK. You'll never find a more hard working radio sales guy than that...and someone who everyone, and I DO mean everyone, liked.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 am

I, too, remember "Hoppy" at WFMK in the late '80s. During my short time as overnight jock, he was often in when I was just getting off my shift at 6 a.m. Nobody else like that anywhere. Great guy.

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am

I never did meet Geoff when I was with Liggett, but his name was brought up often in Grand Rapids, with rave reviews.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic