Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A gripe with Q106 (your new audio processing settings SUCK)

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am

Someone made adjustments to the audio chain recently, and I cannot stand it!

The high end (treble) is cranked so off the charts that it makes for a fatiguing listening experience. Reminds me of nails on a chalkboard.

Too bad - because I generally love the music choices on the station. The unbearable audio had me searching for other options when I was driving I-96 thru the middle of the state Easter weekend.

Down the hall at Duke FM, the artificial sounding reverb has been turned off. That is a change I actually like.

bmw

Re: A gripe with Q106 (your new audio processing settings SUCK)

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 pm

Can someone explain to me what it is that makes it so difficult for audio engineers to make their stations sound good? Is it really rocket science? Because it blows my mind how many stations on the FM dial sound like utter garbage from a technical standpoint. This is something that should be a non-issue in the 21st century.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Can someone explain to me what it is that makes it so difficult for audio engineers to make their stations sound good? Is it really rocket science? Because it blows my mind how many stations on the FM dial sound like utter garbage from a technical standpoint. This is something that should be a non-issue in the 21st century.
Simple answer. Very few qualified "audio engineers" remain on the job. In fact, quite a few are in the cemetery.

Additionally, today's I.T. guys, and in-house computer nerds are all streaming stuff. They have most likely never heard an old school Marantz or Sansui stereo system. So, that flat, tinny sound is probably what sounds right, or normal to their tone deaf ears.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

djb

Post by djb » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Hell, even I can take my USB SDR; tune to my Part-15 FM frequency; run the audio through a software based ASIO sound device (so no D/A conversion) - patched into Spectrometer (FREE Software) - and look at my frequency response.

And I'm CHEAP!

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Speaking of Q106 -

Heard an old time contest making a comeback on their station - “Stick with Q”. Go to such and such store, pick up your Q106 bumper sticker and stick it on your car for a chance to win $100. Heard them call out a license number and the person called back.

Haven’t heard a radio station bumper sticker in years. Always seemed like cheap advertising for the station....

format this

Post by format this » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 pm
Simple answer. Very few qualified "audio engineers" remain on the job. In fact, quite a few are in the cemetery.

Additionally, today's I.T. guys, and in-house computer nerds are all streaming stuff. They have most likely never heard an old school Marantz or Sansui stereo system. So, that flat, tinny sound is probably what sounds right, or normal to their tone deaf ears.
I listen to SXM Classic Rewind frequently in my 2010 Ford and it sounds sweet! Then again, my hearing… I’m pushing 60 down the short road.

Oh, and it’s synched with my iPhone. That ain’t satellite I’m listening to. $8 a month well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Yes - the smartphone audio from SXM, generally speaking, enjoys much better processing than the signal direct from the satellites.

The same also holds true if you listen on a TV via Dish Network, Roku or another device / service.

Driving through mid-Michigan over the weekend, I must say whatever audio processing issues that previously plagued Q106 have been fixed. The station sounds decent now. :8)

Duke FM sounds very good now from a processing standpoint, and Cruisin' 92-9 sounds surprisingly good (too bad the brand imaging on 92.9 stinks).

The old Classic HIts 92.9 WLMI perhaps would've made much more of an impact in the ratings if the audio then sounded as good as it does today. That station had absolutely putrid processing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic