Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Free Beer and Hot Wings now Mornings at WMMQ?

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
BayCityJohn2337

Free Beer and Hot Wings now Mornings at WMMQ?

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm

So just noticed WMMQ has no live morning show anymore. Looks like they are carrying Free Beer and Hot Wings from Grand Rapids.

Market after Market we are loosing our local live morning shows, only to be replaced by syndicated Garbage. Isn't this sad?

Realist

Re: Free Beer and Hot Wings now Mornings at WMMQ?

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:31 pm

While they’re on one my my local stations, I stopped listening after the company they are based at in GR fired Eric Zane. Joe isn’t a worthy replacement and they’ve added a chick who annoys me. Nowhere as funny as they used to be

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:54 pm

I don’t live in the Lansing area. Just got on LSJ and can’t find out anything about Joey Pants getting fired. When did this happen?

WOWwowWOW

Post by WOWwowWOW » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:03 pm

Lansing has been down that road before and it didn't go well. Basically the Townsquare folks are clearing our the local long term jocks as fast as their contract come up....Duran, Stephanie, Don, Chris, Joey, Nick, etc.

The local game is done and it's sad but it isn't coming back. I can't imagine being a family owned broadcaster and knowing the business you thought you were leaving your kids is basically a 501c3 non profit at this point.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:55 am

Townsquare literally announced a four year contract renewal for FB&HW less than two weeks ago. New affiliates were part of the deal.

Given the fact 97.5 recently switched to a syndicated show (one that isn't even live for much of the morning in the eastern time zone), this change does not surprise me.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am

I remember talking to a few folks I knew at the Lansing cluster when Townsquare purchased it from Cumulus in 2013. They were quite enthusiastic about the deal, as the Townsquare upper management touted the importance of live and local content. Don't know if it's just the direction of the radio market overall, but it certainly seems like things didn't turn out that way.

Checked out the WITL website a month or two ago and noticed that every daypart outside of morning drive is either syndicated or voice-tracked by out-of-market talent. Having worked at Wittle in the days when it was truly a full-service local station, it was especially sad to see.

Problem is it's a domino effect. When a station or cluster is able to undercut spot rates by implementing more automation, other stations and clusters have to do the same to keep their rates competitive. Factor in competition from online streaming services and the like, and it just becomes a downward spiral.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:29 pm

So basically this show is just a B & T clone.
Nothing but blah, blah, blah....
I tried it for a couple of days, no music.
I drive in the mornings, can't focus on the blahs, they lost my preset.
However, just discovered Nick Chase over on 92.9, where they are playing music.

Glad you landed on your feet Nick!

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:49 pm

That's a great point; the changes at MMQ definitely create an opportunity for 92.9 to gain listenership.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:49 pm
That's a great point; the changes at MMQ definitely create an opportunity for 92.9 to gain listenership.
That's a surprising move for Midwest, but a step in the right direction.

I always thought a live morning show on Duke would kill. That's an audience that would respond really well to a live and local presence, especially if they made it interactive. Too bad they didn't snag Banana Don when he exited WITL.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm

Agreed!

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 am

I never cared for this show, WXKR in Toledo ran the show for like 6 months and it BOMBED!

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 am

I knew a lot of people in the Flint cluster when Townsquare bought it from Regent. They were very excited. Almost all of them are gone now...either run out or fired because they made too much money. They've takes legendary stations like CARS 108 and driven them into the ground. Is Danny Stewart still on WFMK??? He's been in Lansing for over 40 years. I remember when he was on WVIC in the late 70's.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 am
I never cared for this show, WXKR in Toledo ran the show for like 6 months and it BOMBED!
XKR ran it for 6 months, then 100.7 the Zone took it over, where the show ended its run in Toledo 6 months later.

My mom listened to it once, couldn't last more than 10 minutes before changing the station. I never listened to it as I tend to prefer music in the morning.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:21 pm

FBHW hasn’t been funny since they fired Eric Zane, who was the resident smart ass of the show

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:59 am

I will say this about WMMQ - their new batch of station V/O imaging sounds outstanding!

Some of the best stuff I've heard on any classic rock station anywhere.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic