Registrations in the queue through August 2 at 8:45a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
ChrisWL1980
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Budget cuts due to COVID-19 were cited as the reason. Not clear whether they're turning in the license or plan to sell the station later.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1892 ... perations/


Voting Blue: The Best Way to Remove Stubborn Orange Stains.

Lucky615
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am
Location: 48195

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by Lucky615 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 pm

It will probably sell. Maybe Jesus will purchase the station. Like FLR, EMF or even Smile FM.


On November 4th President Trump will tell Joe Biden “You’re Fired”.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm

My prediction: The Seventh Day Adventist group that owns & operates 91.9 WGCP in Cadillac, 89.7 in Grand Rapids and various other stations across Michigan will acquire it.

FLR's translator signal at 99.9 MHz covers more real estate than 89.7 WLNZ, so I think we can rule them out.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

Lucky615
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am
Location: 48195

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by Lucky615 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Great point MW. Is there a K-Love Classics in that area?


On November 4th President Trump will tell Joe Biden “You’re Fired”.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 pm

To the best of my knowledge - no.

I'm not even sure "K-Love regular" is on the air in that region. Last time I checked, both 91.5 & 95.9 were running Air 1.

Smile FM and Shine FM already play current Adult Christian Contemporary music on a full-time basis, and 99.7/99.9 Family Life Radio offers such music during a good chunk of its programming day, too.

I had completely forgotten that the Seventh Day Adventist broadcaster (Strong Tower Radio) already owns AM 1540 in the Lansing area, along with a recently upgraded FM translator at FM 104.7. So, I need to rescind my earlier prediction!

EMF or Holy Family Radio might be the most likely candidates.

I cannot recall if AM 1390 in the Lansing area is commercial or non-commercial. If the latter, perhaps 89.7 FM would be of interest to them.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

kc8yqq
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 am

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 pm
I cannot recall if AM 1390 in the Lansing area is commercial or non-commercial.
AM 1390 is commercial.

Also, FLR has WUNN 1110 in Mason that gets a decent signal into Lansing.



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm
My prediction: The Seventh Day Adventist group that owns & operates 91.9 WGCP in Cadillac, 89.7 in Grand Rapids and various other stations across Michigan will acquire it.
Is that the same group that operates KTGG 1540 in Okemos?


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

ftballfan
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm
My prediction: The Seventh Day Adventist group that owns & operates 91.9 WGCP in Cadillac, 89.7 in Grand Rapids and various other stations across Michigan will acquire it.
Is that the same group that operates KTGG 1540 in Okemos?
Yes. Their TOH legal ID includes ALL of their stations.



EdWalker
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by EdWalker » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 am

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm
My prediction: The Seventh Day Adventist group that owns & operates 91.9 WGCP in Cadillac, 89.7 in Grand Rapids and various other stations across Michigan will acquire it.
Is that the same group that operates KTGG 1540 in Okemos?
Yes. Their TOH legal ID includes ALL of their stations.
KTGG, which is diplexed on the WJIM-AM tower, also has a translator at 104.7 on that tower. I think that translator does far better than what WLNZ would be able to give them.

I'd really like to see WLNZ turned over to a community group to continue some of the more eclectic programming (blues, jazz) that its been doing.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4060
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 am

KTGG, which is diplexed on the WJIM-AM tower, also has a translator at 104.7 on that tower. I think that translator does far better than what WLNZ would be able to give them.
Agreed.

I had forgotten about KTGG and its 104.7 translator when making my initial post. The translator was recently upgraded and now provides good coverage of the Lansing area.


Caroline Beasley is ruining WRIF. What a bitch!!!

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am

Forgot about the 104.7 translator. I believe that was once operated by Spring Arbor University (as was KTGG prior to the sale to the Seventh Day Adventist group), and was a simulcast of WSAE. Coverage back then, even over downtown Lansing, was marginal at best. I'll have to check it out to see the improvement as I haven't listened to that frequency in a few years.


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

ftballfan
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am

EdWalker wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 am
ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:00 am
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 pm
My prediction: The Seventh Day Adventist group that owns & operates 91.9 WGCP in Cadillac, 89.7 in Grand Rapids and various other stations across Michigan will acquire it.
Is that the same group that operates KTGG 1540 in Okemos?
Yes. Their TOH legal ID includes ALL of their stations.
KTGG, which is diplexed on the WJIM-AM tower, also has a translator at 104.7 on that tower. I think that translator does far better than what WLNZ would be able to give them.

I'd really like to see WLNZ turned over to a community group to continue some of the more eclectic programming (blues, jazz) that its been doing.
A station similar to WYCE would probably work.

W284AH has a slightly larger coverage area than WLNZ. W284AH is 250 watts at around 300 feet HAAT while WLNZ is 1kW but at only 109 feet HAAT



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 am

ftballfan wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am
A station similar to WYCE would probably work.

W284AH has a slightly larger coverage area than WLNZ. W284AH is 250 watts at around 300 feet HAAT while WLNZ is 1kW but at only 109 feet HAAT
Agreed. FM is a direct-wave medium. ERP is a calculation of power output and antenna height. Antenna height is always the greater advantage. Even though WLNZ pumps out 4x the juice, their ERP is likely lower than the 104.7 translator.


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

EdWalker
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by EdWalker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am
Forgot about the 104.7 translator. I believe that was once operated by Spring Arbor University (as was KTGG prior to the sale to the Seventh Day Adventist group), and was a simulcast of WSAE. Coverage back then, even over downtown Lansing, was marginal at best. I'll have to check it out to see the improvement as I haven't listened to that frequency in a few years.
Coincidently, when the 104.7 translator was owned by Spring Arbor, it was atop of Gannon Building at Lansing Community College. I believe WLNZ was/is atop of Sykes Technology and Learning Center on the LCC campus.



EdWalker
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: WLNZ 89.7 FM Shutting Down

Post by EdWalker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am

Citizens’ group forms to try to save LCC radio station:

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/storie ... tion,14593



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic