Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Listeners are abandoning local radio in droves in the Lansing market

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Listeners are abandoning local radio in droves in the Lansing market

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb195

Look at these numbers. WOW.

Q106 just posted its worst book in over two decades' time. No wonder the playlist underwent a drastic shift in recent weeks!! WMMQ, meanwhile, recorded a very strong book.

The other big surprises:
- Terrible ratings for 90.5 WKAR-FM. A 2.9 share., with what are most likely extremely old demos. Michigan State needs to take a hard look at retooling WKAR-FM if this trend continues.
- A big dip for 97.5 Now FM. Their 6.5 share in ages 12+ is unusually low.

Unless a bunch of people are abandoning stations listed here for 96.5, 101.7, AM 1320, out of market signals, or unlisted non-comms, chances are high that Sirius XM , Spotify, Pandora, Podcast, and internet radio listening is at or near an all time high.

Another thing that caught my eye: the 1.6 share for AM 730 WVFN. That is a perfectly decent showing for such a limited signal. They are clearly benefiting from the demise of 107.3 WBBL and 92.1 The Team.

The stations listed in the published results represent less than 60 percent of total listening!!!

Realist

Re: Listeners are abandoning local radio in droves in the Lansing market

Post by Realist » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Q106’s prior “Everything that rocks” format stunk and was all over the road. When you’re hearing music that 1/2 the time could be heard on MMQ, what’s the point? So glad they cleaned up their playlist

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 pm

You and me both! :)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Idk, I'm probably closer to the Detroit market, but WMMQ is, hands down, my #1 choice for classic rock, and overall, my #1 or #2 choice when I have the radio on. And I love Q106's Saturday night metal show. If they think they have it so bad, tune in to a station here, where you're never more than 10 minutes away from Seger, Journey, Bon Jovi or Motley Crue.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:27 pm

WITL, WFMK, Now FM, WMMQ, Q106 and Smile FM are all damn good stations. Duke-FM gets points for trying something off the beaten path (I'd give them much more praise if they'd simply ditch the corny voiceovers).

Unlike when it first signed on, Duke's playlist maybe 12 to 18 months ago became more heavily centered on 90's era Country, and the ratings have responded favorably. I said at the start that the 90's should be the decade receiving greatest airplay.

Lansing is one of the few markets in Michigan - perhaps the only market in Michigan - where the stations collectively sound better today than 10 years ago.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Duke FM's 90's country is fabulous! That's exactly what I want to hear when listening to country radio.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm

The Lansing radio market is no longer relevant.
The days of Tim, Rich, etc.. with something interesting to say is gone.
There is nothing that distinguishes Lansing from Sirius.
Everything is voicetracked, sometimes they even have the wrong days voicetrack airing.
The TV stations are the only place to go during severe weather, EAS will handle it says radio management.
All that matters is cutting expenses (airstaff) and trying to fight over the sales scraps as they wither away.
And they will continue to wither away, and Lansing radio will continue to die a slow painful death, at its own hands.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:48 pm

The listeners are obviously flocking to 10,000 watt 1180- WXLA!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm

HD74 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:29 pm
The Lansing radio market is no longer relevant.
The days of Tim, Rich, etc.. with something interesting to say is gone.
There is nothing that distinguishes Lansing from Sirius.
Everything is voicetracked, sometimes they even have the wrong days voicetrack airing.
The TV stations are the only place to go during severe weather, EAS will handle it says radio management.
All that matters is cutting expenses (airstaff) and trying to fight over the sales scraps as they wither away.
And they will continue to wither away, and Lansing radio will continue to die a slow painful death, at its own hands.
It's not just the Lansing radio market. It's Lansing in general. The whole place looks like it's economically running on fumes. It never looked that way back in the '80's.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:32 pm

"It's Lansing in general. The whole place looks like it's economically running on fumes. It never looked that way back in the '80's."

You mean like the red light district across from the Capitol that is now long gone?
Or the strip mall at Michigan and Penn that used to have working ladies out front, right across the street from a local news department?
Or the myriad of Shiawassee Street stake-outs?
Nah, sorry pal, Lansing looks a lot better now than in the 80's.
But radio here does not.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Corporate radio is killing itself on AM and FM. While I can stand WMMQ for an hour passing through Lansing, WRSR is a tad better. That said, playlist wise, they both suck.

Now, an interesting tidbit. Shortwave pirates are flourishing, and the number of people listening to them is mushrooming. Also, the number of part 15 "jukeboxes"I find on AM across the country are also mushrooming. An online radio near DC receives no less than 3 part 15 signals, one playing old department store music from the 60's! What corporations will not provide, people are finding ways to provide themselves. It blows my mind how many new users we get each week in the shortwave forums I belong to, most who have grown sick of the status-quo programming on AM and FM.

I have also noticed an uptick in pirates operating in the extended AM band, some on a 24/7 basis. NOT part 15 stations, these can be heard over several states at night.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb195

Look at these numbers. WOW.

Q106 just posted its worst book in over two decades' time. No wonder the playlist underwent a drastic shift in recent weeks!! WMMQ, meanwhile, recorded a very strong book.

The other big surprises:
- Terrible ratings for 90.5 WKAR-FM. A 2.9 share., with what are most likely extremely old demos. Michigan State needs to take a hard look at retooling WKAR-FM if this trend continues.
- A big dip for 97.5 Now FM. Their 6.5 share in ages 12+ is unusually low.

Unless a bunch of people are abandoning stations listed here for 96.5, 101.7, AM 1320, out of market signals, or unlisted non-comms, chances are high that Sirius XM , Spotify, Pandora, Podcast, and internet radio listening is at or near an all time high.

Another thing that caught my eye: the 1.6 share for AM 730 WVFN. That is a perfectly decent showing for such a limited signal. They are clearly benefiting from the demise of 107.3 WBBL and 92.1 The Team.

The stations listed in the published results represent less than 60 percent of total listening!!!
Hard to draw conclusions with the public 6+ numbers in this market or any other. Even if a station is soft one book, it isn't necessarily a reality. Trends in the appropriate demo matter much more.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 pm

It's not just the Lansing market. It's everywhere. And it's not just radio. The broadcast-gatekeeper model is terminal. We have entered the era of the on-demand, long-tail model. Who needs some PD or consultant to pick what you listen to? Now anyone can be their own PD. Anyone can have unlimited choices.
Among radio management other dumb moves, they ignored that the basic appeal of radio was personalities. Music or political view were secondary. The I-Man, Howard and Rush were about the last of the breed. But 100 years isn't a bad run.

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 am

What, if any stations air the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings and Pistons in Lansing area??? It is a Michigan State town...

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm

I would think 730 would have one of them. You may be able to get WJR for the Lions if anything else.

Sadly, the team websites, especially the Tigers, are not always updated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic