Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Job Opening: Chief Evening Meteorologist, Fox 47 WSYM

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Thunderstorm

Job Opening: Chief Evening Meteorologist, Fox 47 WSYM

Post by Thunderstorm » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Job Opening: Chief Evening Meteorologist, WSYM

The E.W. Scripps news station FOX 47 in Lansing, Michigan (WSYM) is looking for a full-time Meteorologist to join the weather team. This position will work out of the FOX 17 West Michigan (WSYM) station in Grand Rapids, MI. The meteorologist is responsible for analyzing meteorological data gathered by satellites and radar to prepare reports and forecasts for the viewers in the region. A solid understanding of lake effect snow is beneficial. The meteorologist must have a strong understanding and engagement on digital and social media platforms and desire to engage in the mid-Michigan community.

WHAT YOU'LL DO:

-Interpret and analyze weather data to create local forecasts
-Report information “live” in scheduled newscasts, during unscheduled cut-ins, on-line and on social media as needed
-Develop graphics and presentation of weather information
-Report on a variety of subjects and write stories for broadcasts and sweeps pieces
-Participate in certain aspects of newscast anchoring including some copy delivery and interviewing
-Participate in community outreach projects

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
-Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology
-1 to 3 years’ experience
-Knowledge and understanding of both mid-Michigan and west Michigan preferred

WHAT YOU'LL BRING:

-Thorough knowledge of weather data interpretation and forecasting
-Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and understandable way
-Ability to create computer generated graphics
-Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems
-Proficient at posting content to various platforms
-Strong organizational, time management and problem solving skills
-Self-motivated and able to work well with a team of other meteorologist in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
-Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.

WORK ENVIRONMENT:
-In Studio
-In field for remote broadcasts, reporting

Sholmes

Re: Job Opening: Chief Evening Meteorologist, Fox 47 WSYM

Post by Sholmes » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 pm

Interesting that this person will not actually live and work in Lansing but will be in Grand Rapids.

How long until they just decide to do a regional news cast out of Grand Rapids.

I thought Channel 7 news was well received in Lansing when it was on 53 decades ago. Why are they not using the WYXZ team for this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am

Sholmes wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 pm
Interesting that this person will not actually live and work in Lansing but will be in Grand Rapids.

How long until they just decide to do a regional news cast out of Grand Rapids.

I thought Channel 7 news was well received in Lansing when it was on 53 decades ago. Why are they not using the WYXZ team for this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I think 47 still has its own news team operating out of Lansing, but they've consolidated weather ops to operate out of WXMI.

wsummers

Post by wsummers » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:30 pm

I watched a newscast on 47 today for the first time since their awful launch at the beginning of 2021. Back then it was an embarrassingly bad newscast. What I saw was a great improvement.

Gone is the anchorless news which was a horrible decision which fortunately they corrected.
While weather is still from GR, it is no longer standing in a hall in front of a TV giving a radio style report and forecast. They’ve discovered radar and is greatly improved.

As far as the news, the emphasis is local human interest stories. Overall, an enjoyable broadcast for those who get their hard news and sports coverage elsewhere and want to see mostly feel good local stories. While I don’t see it as anything 6 or 10 need to worry about, it fills a niche which local newspapers once occupied when they had reporters.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Sholmes wrote: I thought Channel 7 news was well received in Lansing when it was on 53 decades ago. Why are they not using the WYXZ team for this?
The WXYZ simulcast on WLAJ was billboarded as "Regional Action News". It was really just Detroit local news in Lansing. Not unusual as a lot of folks outstate read Detroit newspapers, but Mid-Michigan stories outside the Capitol weren't likely to warrant coverage as this wasn't WXYZ's DMA. The WXYZ deal was struck when WLAJ initially disbanded their local news operation to satisfy ABC affiliate requirements to maintain at least a regionally-adjacent local newscast.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using Tapatalk

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:12 pm

wsummers wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:30 pm
I watched a newscast on 47 today for the first time since their awful launch at the beginning of 2021. Back then it was an embarrassingly bad newscast. What I saw was a great improvement.

Gone is the anchorless news which was a horrible decision which fortunately they corrected.
While weather is still from GR, it is no longer standing in a hall in front of a TV giving a radio style report and forecast. They’ve discovered radar and is greatly improved.

As far as the news, the emphasis is local human interest stories. Overall, an enjoyable broadcast for those who get their hard news and sports coverage elsewhere and want to see mostly feel good local stories. While I don’t see it as anything 6 or 10 need to worry about, it fills a niche which local newspapers once occupied when they had reporters.
I agree, it is better than it used to be. At first it was just awful.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:55 am

Now they need one at WNEM also.

wsummers

Post by wsummers » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:40 pm

Chris Easlick was promoted to chief meterologist at WNEM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic