Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sam Ali getting some Uni-Watch love

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
bigjer54

Sam Ali getting some Uni-Watch love

Post by bigjer54 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:25 pm

sinklair

Re: Sam Ali getting some Uni-Watch love

Post by sinklair » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:52 pm

Good on Sam for trying to be creative. But WNEM and WJRT both provided live coverage from Houston when WEYI-WSMH went the cheap route and put Sam in the impossible spot.

Cheap @$$ station and corporate managers once again prove why they should not run local stations. There is absolutely no reason why Sam wasn’t in Houston for the U if M’s first national championship in 26 years. F’N amateurs.

FormerNews5Dude

Post by FormerNews5Dude » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm

That was awesome. Great job, Sam. Who cares what other people with greater resources did? You did what you did.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:31 am

Clever approach that brought a lot of positive publicity to Sam. Nicely done! :)

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 188344007/
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:41 am

I’m hope you’ll be just as enthusiastic when Stella draws pictures for a major breaking news event. Or Erik doodles pictures for severe weather. I’d personally enjoy it if — instead of all the production costs for A Classy, Brassy. Christmas — if Bill Harris would sit in front of his fireplace playing a Kazoo while putting up stock photos of real musicians.

You completely miss the point that it’s basic journalism that Sam should have been at the game like every other Sports Director. He did the best he could with what he was given. It’s the last part that was unacceptable. But I’m sure the GM and never seen News Director will laugh at all the money they saved and all the digital clicks they received… and do the same cheap alternative the next time they have a major story where they want to save a penny or two.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:22 am

I bet if you really tried, you could come up with even more absurd scenarios. When I read your post, it makes me think you're losing some of your hatred for TV news.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:34 pm

TC: I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I don’t have an absurd scenario…. The only thing we’ve discussed is what actually happened. WEYI-WSMH was so incredibly cheap that it was the only station in the market to not send crews to Houston… then had Sam Ali draw some cartoons to show instead.

Try to keep up. If you think drawing cartoons instead of covering news is the way 25-66 is going to gain viewers, then say that. At least we’ll know when you lost all your marbles.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:51 pm

In other words Sinclair will not be sending Sam to The Super Bowl if the Lions make it in about a months time. And for the record I don't see the Lions making The Super Bowl hoping that they win tomorrow VS the Rams.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:50 am

A little Muskegon birdie passed along a message that Bondy is jealous over the amount of exposure this has received while his "Keeping it Real" subscription segments haven't attracted the audience he thought it would. Most people who saw Sam's clip never knew 25's news operation existed.
turn up the radio! mighty in might!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:43 am

The kid is buying into his own press. Now Sam is drawing news conferences, etc. he’s even created his own sweatshirt with his doodles.

I gave Sam too much credit that he’d actually would push to do a competent job if given the chance. Now I see why Sinclair loves him. It’s not about covering sports. They see him as an “influencer”.

It’s the same rabbit hole that Bondy fell into. And everyone sees how well that worked out for him.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm

MasterB wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:51 pm
In other words Sinclair will not be sending Sam to The Super Bowl if the Lions make it in about a months time.
If the Lions make it to Vegas, I envision WEYI / WSMH farming its coverage out to WWMT, or even to Las Vegas sister station KSNV.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:46 am

The Super Bowl wouldn’t be on NBC — it’s on CBS (WNEM).

Here’s how Sinclair will look at the decision…

Why would WEYI promote the game on CBS?

Why would we send Sam down to Las Vegas and incur the costs?

WWMT — the Kalamazoo based CBS station — and Sinclair’s Me-TV stations can produce a special and WEYI could air it — if the Director of Declining Sales could get a few bucks for it.

It’s only the biggest sport story in Michigan… so if I were WEYI “Sports” Director, I wouldn’t pack your bags, and start drawing some new doodles. That’s the Sinclair way!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:54 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:46 am
The Super Bowl wouldn’t be on NBC — it’s on CBS (WNEM).

Why would WEYI promote the game on CBS?
They wouldn't necessarily promote the game, but rather the Lions. If your home team makes it all the way, no doubt every station in the state would promote the Lions, even if their network wasn't covering the big game.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Rugrats: I agree with you. Just wish the “brain trust” at 25-66 did as well.

If Kevin & Karin wouldn’t send a crew to cover Michigan in Houston for a National CFP Championship, do you really think they’ll pay for Sam to go to Vegas to cover the Super Bowl?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic