Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP 1470

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sdaddy

RIP 1470

Post by sdaddy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:25 pm

Hearing 1470 WFNT was shutdown for good on Dec. 31.

I remember the WKMF Litter Boxes from that era in Flint radio..

Mega Hertz

Re: RIP 1470

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:12 pm

Say what? Of course, I notice this after sundown. Even in Brighton I probably couldn't get the signal either way.

Where did you hear about this?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

sdaddy

Post by sdaddy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:50 pm

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:23 pm

Wow, I'll be damned. It's just as well, I don't think I'd be able to get the signal after dark in Brighton but there is a lot dancing on the frequency at the moment. I'll check it again tomorrow. I wonder what brought that on.
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:00 am

Clown square has been turning off a lot of AM's recently, but this one is a surprise. With WFNT gone, they've basically handed over any Flint radio news coverage to WWJ. The audio on WFNT has been low for years. Low enough that it requires adjusting the volume on your radio.

I wouldn't want to work for a company that gives up this easily. WWJ reporters have been making the trip to Flint for awhile now, when there's a big enough story. I'm surprised that Audacy has the gas money for that.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:07 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:23 pm
Wow, I'll be damned. It's just as well, I don't think I'd be able to get the signal after dark in Brighton but there is a lot dancing on the frequency at the moment. I'll check it again tomorrow. I wonder what brought that on.
The DA points north/northwest, definitely away from Brighton. I haven't been on that stretch of 23 in years, but WFNT would disappear quickly south of Grand Blanc on I-75. Like all of the other 1470's, I assume it was protecting Peoria. Ben Zonia would know better than I. During my time in Flint, WKMF was still playing country.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:07 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
The DA points north/northwest, definitely away from Brighton. I haven't been on that stretch of 23 in years, but WFNT would disappear quickly south of Grand Blanc on I-75. Like all of the other 1470's, I assume it was protecting Peoria. Ben Zonia would know better than I. During my time in Flint, WKMF was still playing country.
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. Look at how many major city, major/large market AMs are struggling. Sure, there are some great billers and a few in the top 5, but when stations like WABC are sold and WJR struggles to make the top 15 in a market where they were consistently #1 or #2, it's not shocking when smaller market AM stations are shutting down and going silent. As an aside, I was flipping around last night after scoping 1470 and 1130 here was the audio equivalent of scrambled HBO. At this point, it's probably better to just shut 'em down. Turn in the license, save on the electric bill and take the towers to your nearest scrapyard.
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:36 pm

WTRX 1330 came in all the way to Ann Arbor in the 1970s in the car, and was quite listenable in Brighton. But WKMF 1470 was not listenable due to a null toward WOHO 1470 there, which could be heard, so I suspect that null still also affects Brighton, though without WOHO interference. Surprisingly, WAMM/WFLT 1420 with just 500 watts is heard quite well in that direction, and could be heard in Ann Arbor.

The problem for the more powerful full-time stations 5000 watts Daytime or greater is that they were forced to end up late in the game for translator applications. Class IVs/Cs and Class D/Daytimers and low power Class Bs ended up getting the translators. The FCC should have a way to keep and protect those better facilities in the database and figure out how to pair them with translators. WFNT has arguably the best AM signal in Genesee County.

Many AMs that have given up are on silent STA or quarter power STAs until they are sold to another entity.

Copy and paste these to another file before R-L takes it down as silent if you want them. Or I could send it to you if they take it down. It will be on FCCdata.org a lot longer.

Last edited by Ben Zonia on Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:13 pm

Listen to the old Have Gun Will Travel radio show from the late 50's on CD on long drives.
At the end of one of them they welcome new station WKMF 1470 to their line up.
Where does the time go?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:18 pm

Martin Stett wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:13 pm
Listen to the old Have Gun Will Travel radio show from the late 50's on CD on long drives.
At the end of one of them they welcome new station WKMF 1470 to their line up.
Where does the time go?
Shortly after WKMF 1470 went to 5000 watts Day in 1959, a DXer in New Zealand heard it and possibly recorded it. His DX log was online and I found it a few years ago.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
There also used to be an AM 1470 in Toledo until very recently. I could hear that one in the daytime on the south side of Ann Arbor with only a little difficulty a couple decades ago.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
There also used to be an AM 1470 in Toledo until very recently. I could hear that one in the daytime on the south side of Ann Arbor with only a little difficulty a couple decades ago.
1470 was WLQR for a long time, and it was WLQR when it was cancelled.

On my Delco Car Radio in the 1970s, I could hear stations on it which were around 50 uV/m, just one tenth of the middle 0.5 mV/m contour on Radio Locator, and just one third off the field strength of the outer contour on Radio Locator.

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:57 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Yes, I remember. I worked there. :smokin

I just assumed 1470 in Flint came on the air first. WOHO Toledo signed on in 1954. A lot of the night pattern at WOHO was aimed at Lake Erie. Not exactly ideal.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:04 pm

I just assumed 1470 in Flint came on the air first. WOHO Toledo signed on in 1954. A lot of the night pattern at WOHO was aimed at Lake Erie. Not exactly ideal.
WWOK signed on in 1947. They went off. WCLC went on around 1952. WKMF came on in 1953. WOHO came on in 1954. So yes, 1470 in Flint came on first.

To figure the whole History out, you need the FCC History Cards, worldradiohistory.com, The Broadcasting Yearbooks 1947-1954, The Radio Annuals 1947-1954, and the late great John Cantelon, who explained the History to me first.

WOHO...WLQR 1470 Toledo Licensed Patterns before the FCC Cancelled it.

Day

https://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.ph ... 5&sHours=D

Night

https://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.ph ... 5&sHours=N

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:03 pm

Robert Drohlich Obituary. WWOK Ownership Family.

https://www.yourobserver.com/news/2015/ ... -drohlich/

Drohlichs sell WWOK in 1947 due to too many stations signing on in the area right after WW II. Can't figure out all the other authorizations referred to in outlying areas. WOAP, WKNX, and WSGW perhaps were three of those?

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I ... e-0020.pdf

Charles L. Carrell (Adelaide L. Carrell). WCLC Ownership Family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carrell

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic