Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FCC Ownership Rules

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

FCC Ownership Rules

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:03 pm

The FCC appears to be going after big broadcasters to prevent them from owning more than one of the big four networks (ANC, CBS, NBC, FOX) in a single market.

https://policyband.com/blog/report--fcc ... +Ownership

Wondering what impact that could have on:
Sinclair in Flint (which outright and with sidecar arrangements owns and operates WEYI NBC and WSMH FOX)…
Sinclair in Traverse City, which operates the NBC and ABC stations…
Heritage in Cadillac which owns the CBS and FOX stations…
Nexstar in Grand Rapids which owns the NBC (WOOD) and one ABC station (WOTV)…
Nexstar in Lansing, which runs both the CBS and ABC affiliates…
Gray in the UP, which owns the NBC and FOX stations…

I doubt the FCC has the balls to make Sinclair actually sell one of its stations, but it would be a “Christmas miracle” if it would divest its station and a serious broadcaster would actually invest in WEYI, WSMH or WBSF. (I’m not holding my breath…)

MasterB

Re: FCC Ownership Rules

Post by MasterB » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:35 pm

You answered your own question Sinklair that FCC will grandfather in the TV stations that own more than one of the big 4 stations and in the smaller markets the few owners do need to have The Big 4 on the subchannels you also forgot Alpena MI smaller owner that isn't Sinclair, Nexstar, Scripps or Gray etc. That has CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC on the subchannels

The FCC is a joke they do nothing to stop Big Tech and don't like NAB Sinclair's, Nexstar's, Scripps, Gray, TEGNA etc.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:43 pm

Good catch on Alpena. Forget that it’s an actual TV market with one single owner.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:55 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:43 pm
Good catch on Alpena. Forget that it’s an actual TV market with one single owner.
And technically, one commercial TV station, with a major network on each of its subchannels -- though just enough to claim a "monopoly" on TV media.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:26 pm

*if* the FCC were to go after companies and shell companies, I think the markets such as Alpena with only one commercial station would be exempt.

I agree with MasterB: the FCC is a joke.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:08 pm

Yep. In the footnotes, the FCC essentially says current stations would be grandfathered in… but if a sale happens down the road, the FCC would likely force the stations to be spun off.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:19 am

sinklair,leave us not forget Gray's Alaska stations KTUU [NBC Anchorage] NBC affiliate, KTVF-TV, the CBS affiliate, KXD-TV, and the Fox affiliate, KFXF-TV, All in fairbanks, PLUS..the one station that Gray bought the media assets of its competitor, CBS affiliate KTVA (Channel 11) through a transaction that would involve moving the CBS affiliation from KTVA to KYES-TV. Gray maintained the MyNetwork affiliation on KYES, moving it down to a digital subchannel.[ which caused the FCC to fine Gray over $500K ] talk about a mess..oy!

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:45 am

Fairbanks AK has KTVF NBC//KXD-lowpower CBS and KFXF ME TV not FOX....Anchorage group Owned by Vision Alaska LLC, the station is operated through a time brokerage agreement (TBA) by Coastal Television Broadcasting Company, LLC operates ABC/FOX/CW/ION in Fairbanks...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic