Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Broadcasting burnout

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Broadcasting burnout

Post by sinklair » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:45 am

In a “no duh” study, the Radio Television Digital News Association— the group that consists of TV and Radio News Directors — commissioned a report that found what literally everyone in America already knew… that journalists are leaving the business because they are overwork, underpaid, and underappreciated.

They could have paid me the tens of thousands of dollars for that conclusion and I’ll toss in the same solutions that will go ignored by publicly traded broadcasters like Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, Allen, Scripps, etc.

I find it humorous that only one company would talk on the record about the policies that broadcasters have used to drive journalists out of the industry:

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/arti ... ing-point/

It’ll be yet another study that CEOs continue to ignore and fain surprise that people aren’t watching local TV because we employ wannabe TikTokers.

djb

Re: Broadcasting burnout

Post by djb » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:16 pm

Perhaps ironically, 'Automation' was supposed to save all this Ca$h. That "savings" sure didn't get passed down to those actually grunting through their day to make that $$$.

I was in the industry during a transition to automation; and while there certainly are benefits, I always felt (and could forsee) it a slap in the face to those individuals that are actually PERFORMING to make the $$$ for the greedy C-levels.

Granted, automation isn't the entire cause of the problem - but it feels to me that once the C-Levels realized the savings that could be provided by a PC, they just kept on choppin' whereever they wanted.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:02 pm

DJB: You’re absolutely right. When we added automation at WEYI (the one on Willard Rd), management said it was needed because of the station’s inability to find (and keep) production team members. The union called it a success to get a few extra Pennie’s when the company was saving hundreds of thousands of dollars every year. That money went right to the pockets of greedy corporate owners — not to increase pay for others, nor to invest in facilities and equipment, nor to hire more people.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:17 am

You think AI will take over the business Sinklair? I know Nexstar doesn't want AI in the newsroom you think Sinclair, Gray, Scripps etc will embrace AI I think those that learn AI will get ahead in the business as I agree with Scott Jones from FTVLive and his opinion on the topic.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:45 am

AI can’t replace a Terry Camp, etc. — journalists who are actually breaking new information not already in the public domain.

I agree there will become new efficiencies. But I don’t believe there will be these mass layoffs that doomsayers predict. The AI effect will be no different than the onset of new technologies like the internet, or cell phones/wireless, etc. it will force industries to adapt. AI will eliminate some of the basic routine functions of jobs.

But I doubt very much that you will have AI reporters covering Flint City Hall.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am

I was not a burnout victim, though trying to be unofficial office leader in a "hub and spoke" operation (feeding other corporate radio peers newscasts and weather), with a emphasis du jour of "Write longform web stories, then promote them in newscasts, so we can sell digital ads!" going on would have been a grind to keep up for years. I fell out of media employment through a corporate axe swing in 2014.

Competing with apps, streaming and mobile devices for today's revenue can't be a treat.

djb

Post by djb » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Ugh. AI.

While I'm a technologist at heart (IT Engineer) in the present time - and love technology as a whole - we (as a human race) are SO NOT READY for the implications that AI could have.

Feed "AI" some bad info (sure, there are checks/verifications - but there's a limit to everything) - and now the "chains" of information are all bullshit.

Then again, I guess many media outlets' agenda's are already bullshit - perhaps it would be better.

AI creating/publishing/reporting the news? Lord help us all.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:49 am

New study from the University of Missouri looks at the challenges facing TV stations from the very real issue of burnout:
https://rjionline.org/news/addressing-b ... ithgeiger/

Some of the study’s findings…
Pessimism about the state of the industry
A lack of flexibility, work from home options, 4-day work weeks, hybrid shifts, flex scheduling
Not feeling appreciated for their work
Dangers facing journalists, lack of trauma-informed reporting to address stress and trauma sometimes faced by frontline reporters and photographers
Rising distrust of journalists from a politically polarized public
Need for more positive culture

Full study: https://rjionline.org/wp-content/upload ... -v1.33.pdf

I’ll put the chances of companies like Sinclair actually doing any of this into the “slim to none” category. At a time when they are closing newsrooms, laying off people, requiring people to do more with less, there is very little chance they will heed the study’s findings.

What journalists don’t need are more “love boards”, hot chocolate days, or forced participation pot lucks in the name of staff morale builders:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ashley-b ... member_ios

If you look at any of WEYI’s HR Director posts you’ll find a lot of new faces. That’s because — despite her instance that 25-66 has a great company culture — they are unable to keep their staff.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:42 pm

I think getting rid of ridiculous non-competes and liquidated damage clauses for reporters and producers would go far. Even if the FTC forbids these in April it will be challenged in the courts by the companies that hate free enterprise when it comes to the labor market.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 pm

Editorcj: you are right. It would be a good start. Probably wouldn’t solve all issues, but maybe TV station managers would raise wages or improve culture if employees could cross the street.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:27 pm

fired by sinclair wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 pm
Editorcj: you are right. It would be a good start. Probably wouldn’t solve all issues, but maybe TV station managers would raise wages or improve culture if employees could cross the street.
You didn't burn out, you were fired.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:19 am

Matt: seek professional help. Your comment (again) is incorrect and off topic.

The fact is you have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion about burn out …

Keep it classy, Matt.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:17 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:19 am
The fact is you have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion about burn out …
I too seem to remember that you did not leave you job voluntarily. Maybe you consider your departure a permanent layoff?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

m60

Post by m60 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:06 am

most is all state-run media. And have nothing to offer. Why trust it or watch it.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:21 am

It's a combination of burnout, greed, and agenda. While I was a kid in the 90s, from what I have gathered from watching various news casts on YouTube, it seems the 90s was the "Golden Age" for news and tech. Then the 2000s came and it all started to go downhill.

The greed became more as large companies bought others (ie, Sinclair, although not the only one), management decided more that THEY deserve all the pay and recognition, and the list goes on.

I can definitely see where burnout is a serious issue. When you have say three different positions that are now being done by one person, it quickly gets taxing. Heck, I've left a few jobs simply because of the mountain added (I have a family, and working 60+ hours a week wasn't worth it for me). I may not know what goes on in the "back room" of a newsroom, but I have a fairly good idea of the amount of work added as jobs are cut. Some of it to save money from the lack of profit, some of it to add money to management pockets.

And I agree about state-run media. Hence the agenda part. The US may be a "free market" or whatever, but media is exempt from that. Anyone that knows the "Fairness Doctrine" should be familiar with the change in media after it was removed/dissolved. Political agendas have been pushed or threatened into the media. That's damn evident. Anyone who disagrees with that is blind to it, or doesn't care.

The problem we have with management at news stations is not going away. There is considerably way too much greed. We will only continue to see a downward spiral, unless we can somehow change the mindset of management. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic