Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MrJeffrey2020

WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Post by MrJeffrey2020 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:53 pm

I purchased a Zapperbox which allows me to receive ATSC 3.0 signals.
12,25,46,66 all work fine but WNEM has theirs blacked out. On a Zapperbox it shows you the signal level which is 71 which is pretty good so it's not poor signal. And there is no lock on the channel saying it's encrypted, yet it's blacked out, any ideas?

On a side note, I am able to receive the 1.0 signal of WNEM just fine, but that's not the point. I bought an ATSC 3.0 for a reason.
I wonder if there is anyone with any broadcast connections with WNEM to answer this on this page.

Jason Kragt

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:15 pm

MrJeffrey2020

Post by MrJeffrey2020 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:29 pm

Jason Kragt wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:15 pm
Could it be this?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=62463
On a Zapperbox there is usually a lock next to encrypted channels. There isn't one on 5, it's just blacked out.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:31 am

It's encrypted again since a few days ago at least. My HDHR can't decode it as of yet either.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Keep in mind that all of the 3.0 signals are coming from WBSF on the WEYI tower. WBSF is the only 3.0 station in the market.

WNEM, WJRT, WEYI, WBSF and WSMH primary channels are broadcast on channel 46 (RF 23) on 3.0

WNEM 1.0 has not changed and is broadcast from the tower in Indiantown on channel 5 (RF 30).

Those stations are working together to get 3.0 started in this market. If it's blacked out on 3.0, contact WNEM or WBSF to see why.
Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:19 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:25 pm
If it's blacked out on 3.0, contact WNEM or WBSF to see why.
He's talking about WNEM's 3.0 signal, and it's "blacked out" because they encrypted it. ONLY a tv set with an ATSC 3.0 tuner can decrypt it at present. Neither the Zapperbox, OR the HDHR 4k tuners can decrypt encrypted 3.0 stations at present.

YES, it's possible for JUST Wnem to encrypt their 3.0 signal, without the others doing so at present. However, the plan is for ALL 3.0 stations to eventually encrypt. See this: https://a3sa.com/

djb

Post by djb » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am

I have a feeling this is going to be fun. X.509/TLS w/CA?

I'd expect TVs to have a shorter lifespan, due to advances in TLS encryption over time. Get ready to help your parents/grandparents with firmware updates! (Assuming firmware updates would be delivered via the air - so do broadcasters have to keep a file library of all manufacturers' tuners? Do they forward requests to a centralized CDN? Do TV's/Tuners require internet access?)

Hopefully broadcasters insure their certificates don't expire on holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc; or at least renew them prior to going on vacation!

Just random thoughts; I haven't read deep enough - and I can likely find the answers to my questions by researching more.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:02 am

djb wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am
I have a feeling this is going to be fun. X.509/TLS w/CA?

I'd expect TVs to have a shorter lifespan, due to advances in TLS encryption over time. Get ready to help your parents/grandparents with firmware updates! (Assuming firmware updates would be delivered via the air - so do broadcasters have to keep a file library of all manufacturers' tuners? Do they forward requests to a centralized CDN? Do TV's/Tuners require internet access?)

Hopefully broadcasters insure their certificates don't expire on holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc; or at least renew them prior to going on vacation!

Just random thoughts; I haven't read deep enough - and I can likely find the answers to my questions by researching more.
From my understanding, tv sets have MULTIPLE certificates embedded within their closed architecture. The theory being, if one or even a few certificates get breached by "pirates", they'll just switch to using a different one. Since devices such as the Zapperbox and the HDHR type tuners are NOT closed architecture, they will have to be delivered certificates over the internet, and the A3SA encryption group will be able to verify that individual tuners are NOT hacked. If they are, they can shut those ones down remotely.

djb

Post by djb » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Interesting. Glad to hear they're "assuming numerous possibilities". Although, truth be told - EVERYTHING is vulnerable.

ReallyStoked

Post by ReallyStoked » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 am

Lately I haven’t been able to connect to any of the local ATSC 3.0 broadcast. It’s like every time I try it takes to their ATSC 1.0 broadcast using HDHR. I wish my tuner wouldn’t do that, as I would prefer as weak signal or some other message.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic