Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

More layoffs going down at Sinclair Stations including Flint

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
organman95

Re: More layoffs going down at Sinclair Stations including Flint

Post by organman95 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:33 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 am
As much as it’s terrible at 25, at least Erik has some weight off his shoulders.
How does he have weight off his shoulders? Maybe I'm missing something, was another meteorologist hired?

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:43 pm

organman95 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:33 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 am
As much as it’s terrible at 25, at least Erik has some weight off his shoulders.
How does he have weight off his shoulders? Maybe I'm missing something, was another meteorologist hired?
He was working both morning and night newscasts.

Now they’re eliminating mornings and weekends. It’s awful for the people affected but for Erik at least he’s not doing doubles every day.

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm

So who got laid off at 25/66? And which newscasts are going away? Is 10 p.m. staying?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:02 pm

WWMT is the number 1 station in West Michigan from their promo thanking the viewers they and Wood TV fight for the number 1 spot in West Michigan. Number 3 is WZZM which largely has to do with legacy maybe it's Fox17 that is number 3. Glad Erik gets some time off and isn't doing doubles every day I hope Sinclair paid a lot of OT to Erik for all the work he has had to do for 25-66.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:22 pm

WWMT is not the number one station in West Michigan. That is WOOD. You need to look closely at the fine print for the time, counties and demos they are using to say they are the most watched. If you look at DMA households for all dayparts, WOOD is still the top station by a long shot. WWMT is historically dominate in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek but has nearly zero viewership in Grand Rapids, Muskegon or any other metro county.

As far as overtime for Erik, that’s a joke. He was made to work all shifts and didn’t receive any overtime since he’s salaried.

That’s how incredibly cheap the station is.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:58 am

I’d suggest that anyone let go by Sinclair not to worry about Ashley’s threats about the existing non-compete language.

First, they let you go for no fault of your. Secondly, they did it to save money — so it’s unlikely they will go through costly legal process that they will likely lose. Third, the FTC has already indicated (although it hasn’t made a final determination) that these types of non-compete restrictions are not legal/not enforceable. So if there are any of my former colleagues looking for jobs and want to cross the street (12 and 5 both have openings), please apply.

WNEM Jobs: gray.tv/careers
WJRT Jobs: https://allenmediabroadcasting.com/careers/wjrt.html

From ABC News:

FTC's new rule could end noncompete agreements for millions of workers

(ABC News)

Noncompete agreements are clauses in employment contracts that bar an employee from working at a rival company, usually within a certain geographic area or for a certain amount of time.

In a sweeping step earlier this year, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) proposed a rule that would void noncompete clauses and ban their use in future contracts. The agency said the move would affect 30 million Americans, roughly one out of every five workers.

"This would say not only are all of those clauses unenforceable, but employers have to tell their workers, you no longer have a noncompete, you're free to leave," FTC Director of Policy Planning Elizabeth Wilkins told ABC News. "Effectively, that would mean that all of a sudden those 30 million workers could leave their jobs and find a better one for them tomorrow."

Wilkins said the rule would boost wages and promote competition by allowing workers to move more freely between jobs, pointing to the widespread use of the agreements in low-wage service industries.

"People think this is about folks in the boardroom, but it's not," she said. "It's also about hairstylists. It's about security guards. It's about journalists. People all across the income spectrum, all kinds of job descriptions have noncompetes."

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:39 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:58 am

First, they let you go for no fault of your. Secondly, they did it to save money — so it’s unlikely they will go through costly legal process that they will likely lose. Third, the FTC has already indicated (although it hasn’t made a final determination) that these types of non-compete restrictions are not legal/not enforceable. So if there are any of my former colleagues looking for jobs and want to cross the street (12 and 5 both have openings), please apply.

Hmm. Working for Gray seems to be the best bet here. With that said, they were a pretty lousy company when they owned 12.
I really don't think there is much benifit or upgrade from 25 working for 12 now, unless you desperately need a job.
I would bet that 12 implodes in the next year or so.

While I don' like "no competes" I think you are naive thinking that getting rid of them will force companies to pay more.
If nothing else, it will create a revolving door.
There will still be markets that pay well and markets you go to when just starting out. Flint.
No mater how you slice it, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City is not a place you come to when you're looking to get ahead in your televison career.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:11 pm

Soundchaser: I’m not disagreeing with the premise you’re laying down.

Gray seems to be the best of our local broadcasters. We all know how I feel about Sinclair. Allen Media isn’t setting the world on fire. Gray seems to do a competent enough job, so much do that News Director Jayne Hodak and Assistant News Director Pat Wilson made the jump from 12 to 5.

I think getting rid of the non-competes is a better option for workers, than let’s say unions. It at least gives workers options to go to a station they want. I disagree with company’s theory that a MMJ, producer, photographer, etc. has competitive secrets that they would hurt without non-competes. These no-compete clauses are just a power play by companies.

If getting rid of non-competes create a revolving door, that’s something station managers can do something about: improve pay, improve working conditions, etc. so workers don’t go to another station across town.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:45 pm

Local newscasts are highly profitable, surprised they are dropping them. Usually stations add more and more local news since they can pack them full of local commercials.

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:06 am

So who got laid off besides Bill Harris?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:43 am

High Fidelity: you are correct. Local newscasts are extremely profitable. 25-66 is a profitable station… even with lagging newscast ratings we brought in a ton of cash during the last campaign cycle.

But Sinclair is betting that with its national newscasts running in place of morning and weekend news — and the elimination of dozens of positions in front and behind the camera, hubbing news operations out of WWMT and with only a token number of local positions left in Flint — they can save even more money and there won’t be a significant drop off in revenue. They are using their Toledo station as the blueprint (which is hubbed out of South Bend).

News and operations took the biggest job cuts (again). But all the business, promotions, engineering, traffic, programming, creative services staff will be next. All that will be left locally when Sinclair is done is a few anchor/MMJs and a couple of local account executives. Everything else will be cut and transferred to Kalamazoo.

I’m sure there will be the usual naysayers… to them I say call up WNWO and ask them about the hubbing experience there.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:45 am

More details about layoffs happening at other Sinclair stations across the country where they are cancelling morning and weekend newscasts at WEAR and WPMI: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/ ... ues-to-cut

One of the news directors being let go is the market’s only African American female news leader who served in the board for the Radio Television Digital News Association advocating for improving local journalism. You can’t say she was unqualified. This is simply a money grab by Sinclair.

If you want to know how Sinclair runs its stations and people into the ground, you have to read this post by (now laid off) photographer/MMJ: https://twitter.com/colincahill13/statu ... 2528670722

“I feel for all my friends at
@mynbc15
that were given up on by Sinclair Broadcasting.
A station that has been gutted for years and now a knockout blow to a newsroom that hustled to tell amazing stories on a daily basis.
A newsroom that when I entered had eight full time photographers, ten reporters, and six producers when I arrived in 2016, not to mention a slew of anchors only to see people leave and jobs not get filled because of budget cuts.
I was told in 2020 that I should be happy that I "just have a job" through the pandemic. When I had to continue coming in to work everyday, to tell 2 stories on two different subjects per day and sometimes pickup a VOSOT and be live at noon, 5 and 6.
I worked through protests, hurricanes and a pandemic all in 2020, all to be told you don't get to complain because you should be happy you have a job.
In 5 years, my hourly rate increased by just 92 cents.
I made less than $15 an hour when I started there as a photographer.
I grinded my way onto air. Saw a sports department decreased to nothing because it didn't move the needle.
I signed a sheet of paper that stated I would not ask for an increase when I took over our 15-minute Friday night high school football show.
I was treated like an MMJ, but labeled as a photographer.
I was expected to have stories to pitch on a daily basis for when other reporters were out.
It was a mindset at the station of pull the most out of someone. I was not the only one.
I couldn't take the Monday off after my wedding, because my absence put my station in a "bind". I took Friday off before my wedding as the only day off.
On one out of town trip, my ND asked if I could stay with a friend to save money.
In 2020, I covered hurricane Sally for 25 hours in a 33-hour span. 8 hour break in between a 12 and 13 hour shift
I answered phone calls at 2 A.M. to be called out to a house fire 2 hours away or a shooting that had happened hours earlier.
I hit deadlines everyday. Deadlines that thousands of journalists are required to hit every day.
I put stories together in minutes because of drive time, logistics in meeting, interviewing and filming individuals for stories.
And was expected to get a lunch everyday.
Overtime was cancelled after my first year. The idea to eliminate overtime gained through the week,
Wait till Friday to tell reporters and photographers to come in late, but still be expected to fulfill the same duties.
Less time to work for the same amount of content.
All this for less than 30k a year in one of America's fast growing counties.
Average rent in Baldwin county, close to $1700. And it's probably gone up.
Mobile was a top 70 market at the time.
I lived paycheck to paycheck. One full paycheck paying for the entire month's rent. The other. Paying utilities and then groceries.
Only way to survive and make ends meet was to have roommates.
Myself and the family of Journalists at NBC 15 in Mobile went above and beyond on a daily basis to bring accurate, credible and sometimes life changing news to those on the Gulf Coast.
They didn't ask for much. Just a little gratitude every now and then.
This is a problem in so many newsrooms. Unfortunately, it won't be getting better any time soon.
I say this not as a spiteful person, but as someone that realized that there are greener pastures. This IS NOT and SHOULD NOT be a norm for future journalists entering this career.
I got lucky to be where I am now. I only hope that the other journalists that were let go today end up as lucky.
I enjoyed getting to work with some amazing people, learning from some of the best, and getting to do what I loved, telling people stories that impacted communities.“

The News Director who was spared the pink slip is Bob Noonan, an old white dude. I guess when you run your news team into the ground to save cash, you get to keep your job.

I also find it interesting that Mid-Michigan Now’s Dave Bondy wrote Colin to “message me”. Maybe Dave should do a story on the working conditions at Sinclair stations on his personal social media channels and email newsletter. Just sayin’…

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:58 am

When I think of WNWO I think of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall & Eric Bischoff just take the W off NWO The New World Order.

The business for local news is low pay got to love it and have a passion for the business in order to work in it, the only highest pay is for those that were anchors for 10+ years or more and those days will be over sometime soon. Wood TV 12 years ago didn't do a farewell to Sueanne Geha LIN didn't renew the contract MLive was one that reported that Geha was no longer working for the station, WZZM took out an ad in the GR Press thanking her for her decades in GR.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:31 pm

Damn sad day in broadcasting

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:08 pm

WWMT is not the number one station in West Michigan. That is WOOD. You need to look closely at the fine print for the time, counties and demos they are using to say they are the most watched. If you look at DMA households for all dayparts, WOOD is still the top station by a long shot. WWMT is historically dominate in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek but has nearly zero viewership in Grand Rapids, Muskegon or any other metro county.
For news, channel 8 (WOOD-TV) is definitely number one overall. You are certainly correct about that.

From sign on to sign off, WWMT more often than not is number one in the market. Over two or three straight decades, WWMT has offered better daytime and prime access programming than WOOD.

In terms of annual revenue, WOOD is #1 and WWMT is #2.

WWMT's newscast promos have been absolutely rotten for many years, dating back to prior ownership. Extremely tacky.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic