Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Union Time

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Union Time

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:38 pm

Now that the State House has decided to repeal Right to Work, I’d encourage Erik to start a union drive.

https://midmichigannow.com/news/local/b ... ht-to-work#

Maybe if there was a union, 25-66 mismanagers wouldn’t be allowed to work their employees on all shifts.

And before the Buzzboard trolls come out… try not to twist your logic trying to justify Erik having to work the morning, early evening and late evening newscasts as the station finds excuse after excuse why they can’t keep or find employees…

And when you say no one is forcing him to work at 25-66… I agree. He should quit. But staff should also organize so this crap can’t happen again.

Becky likes to Pat herself on the back about how she got rid of the UAW representation last time. Wondering if she’ll be just as proud to bring them back???

paul8539

Re: Union Time

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:50 am

Try the Communication Workers of America Union rather than the UAW. Their representation is better.

mr v

Post by mr v » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm

Do you think CWA would be better than NABET? I realize both would be better than the UAW since that is not the UAW's specialty.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:51 pm

mr v wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm
Do you think CWA would be better than NABET? I realize both would be better than the UAW since that is not the UAW's specialty.
NABET merged with CWA many years ago.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:59 pm

Michigan should be right to work state the state house was wrong to repeal it I hope this goes to the courts and they bring back right-to-work. It should be a personal choice for workers to join a union or not you fight the union you only get $1 dollar if you win. Erik should demand he gets days off he shouldn't have to do the weather from home it's up to the staff at 25-66 if they want CWA or not.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Once again reminding the forum members that WEYI-TV was a "union shop" until NABET was decertified in 1981. I believe NABET's tenure was only three years, the length of one contract. (Thanks for the information that NABET was merged with the Communication Workers of America. I suppose I am now a lifetime member of CWA, as I left before the decertification.)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:21 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:38 pm
Now that the State House has decided to repeal Right to Work, I’d encourage Erik to start a union drive.

Maybe if there was a union, 25-66 mismanagers wouldn’t be allowed to work their employees on all shifts.

And before the Buzzboard trolls come out… try not to twist your logic trying to justify Erik having to work the morning, early evening and late evening newscasts as the station finds excuse after excuse why they can’t keep or find employees…

And when you say no one is forcing him to work at 25-66… I agree. He should quit. But staff should also organize so this crap can’t happen again.

Becky likes to Pat herself on the back about how she got rid of the UAW representation last time. Wondering if she’ll be just as proud to bring them back???
Great News for Michigan workers. Is Michigan the first state to repeal RTW?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:21 pm
sinklair wrote:

Great News for Michigan workers. Is Michigan the first state to repeal RTW?
Michigan hasn't repealed RTW. If it does pass the Senate, Whitmer will have to veto it based on her past stance. She also campaigned in freedom and her party is now looking to that away.
"I'm going to veto bills designed to cut out the public's right of referendum," Whitmer said in her first State of the State address in January 2019 when Republicans controlled the state House and Senate.

Now, after regaining control of the Legislature for the first time in four decades, Whitmer’s fellow Democrats are moving two bills toward her desk to repeal the Republican-authored right-to-work law, and each one includes a $1 million appropriation.
Enshrining union monopolies lost badly in 2012. I don't understand why the left is pushing this unpopular anti-freedom nonsense through, other than to appease union thugs.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:11 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:33 pm
union thugs.
If you ever met me you would see how absurd that term is,

5' 6" 145 lb one lame foot one blind eye.

Not the stuff thugs are made of.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:42 am

ShempLives wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:52 pm
Once again reminding the forum members that WEYI-TV was a "union shop" until NABET was decertified in 1981. I believe NABET's tenure was only three years, the length of one contract. (Thanks for the information that NABET was merged with the Communication Workers of America. I suppose I am now a lifetime member of CWA, as I left before the decertification.)
WEYI employees were represented by the UAW after this. Not exactly sure when that ended, but I know this was the case as late as 2013.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:10 am

Matt is trying to rewrite history.

Not sure why you think Whitmer will veto Right to Work when she literally promised unions she would do just that in the last election.

“Enshrining union monopolies lost badly in 2012”? Hardly. Republicans had a majority in the state legislature and they were able to force through Right to Work. Not unlike what is happening right now with Democrats.

Regardless, I’m not here for a history lesson. I just want local TV stations yo be run better. WNEM has union representation and has had it for some time. WEYI does not and is a train wreck. For whatever shortcomings you may think of unions (and I don’t disagree that they don’t solve all workplace issues), unions at least bring some balance to management-worker issues and in the Flint market that can be a positive development over what’s occurring currently at 25-66.

Union organizing at 25-66 post Right to Work can’t overcome piss poor management, but maybe it’ll put some guardrails on some of its worst practices and increase wages at the bottom dwelling stations.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:55 am

I voted no on the union prop in 2012 since it wasn't about the workers it was to enrich the union CEOs was all. The union prop was voted down in a landslide and I hope that right to work will come to a vote from the voters I'll always support right to work which the union doesn't want workers to have freedom. Which is wrong on all levels the union doesn't support the little person as they did 60 years ago.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:42 pm

Big believer in freedom of choice. If you don’t want to be in the union, no issue.

But you don’t get anything in the contract that the union negotiated and you can obtain your own benefits, vacation, etc.

If life is so good outside the union, you shouldn’t have any issue obtaining good insurance or vacation yourself.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am

Contrary to what Matt said, Mrs. Mallory did approve the right to work appeal. Instead of fighting to appeal RTW, the Unions should have increased their efforts to recruit members.

m60

Post by m60 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:32 pm

sinklair wrote:

So, you what to pay a group of thugs each month.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic