Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bridge Radio 96.7

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
ChrisWL1980

Bridge Radio 96.7

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am

It looks like the Smile FM translator on 96.7 (licensed to Lapeer but tower near Goodrich in SE Genesee County) is now airing something called "Bridge Radio." Apparently the same programming is being aired on 1530 WLCO, as 96.7 is listed as a translator for WLCO in the FCC databases. I can get them faintly in northern Washtenaw County and I've been hearing continuous CCM Christmas music, a different playlist from Smile (which is airing the normal format with Christmas songs mixed in). Anyone have any details about this? Is this going to be a second attempt at a Praise & Worship type format a la the short-lived Smile FM Praise of a number of years ago, to be the Air1 to Smile's K-Love? (There is a website but it appears to be down.) I'm still surprised Smilin' Ed and Jen haven't tried to expand the Positive Country brand they run on 103.7 in the Thumb (though the fact that 103.7 is a commercial signal may have something to do with that).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Bridge Radio 96.7

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:23 am

The format is hardly my forte, but my guess is the potential audience for Christian Country is much more limited (i.e. mostly if not entirely rural dwelling) than that for contemporary praise music.

I guess I never understood why contemporary praise music is treated as a separate format from Christian AC. WJQK / Lanser Broadcasting in West Michigan programs Christian AC on its big signal (99.3 WJQK) and contemporary praise music on two translators (96.5 & 98.9).

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:28 pm

This is what my impression is from listening to, say, Air1 in comparison to K-Love. The two formats overlap quite a bit, but on Air1 you'll hear more of the Hillsong-type megachurch groups and worship leaders. Like the name suggests, praise and worship stations play the songs evangelicals sing with their hands raised and their eyes closed on Sunday mornings. Christian AC stations, while they play a lot of that, also play more songs with more obvious pop or pop country sensibilities (Nashville is also the center of the CCM industry).
Praise and worship songs also tend to be more overtly religious in their lyrics, while Christian AC songs just have to be "positive" or "inspirational." You'll notice that K-Love and Smile FM both image around being "positive" or "encouraging" as opposed to "Christian." I get the impression CCM stations are trying more to minister to listeners from outside the genre whereas praise stations are sort of "preaching to the choir" and are more for those already secure in their faith.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:39 pm

Well, it's now February and I still can't figure out what this thing is supposed to be. They're now airing continuous instrumental music, but it's not orchestral "beautiful music," it's like karaoke versions of mellow rock songs with the original instrumental track without vocal. Some of the tracks I've heard broadcast in this manner: Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy," Phil Collins' "Sussudio," even Alice in Chains' "No Excuses." A few smooth jazz tracks mixed in too. Even has RDS listing the title of the track being played.
Not sure if this is a stunt, a lengthy testing period or what; all I know is, it's weird.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:55 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:39 pm
Well, it's now February and I still can't figure out what this thing is supposed to be. They're now airing continuous instrumental music, but it's not orchestral "beautiful music," it's like karaoke versions of mellow rock songs with the original instrumental track without vocal. Some of the tracks I've heard broadcast in this manner: Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy," Phil Collins' "Sussudio," even Alice in Chains' "No Excuses." A few smooth jazz tracks mixed in too.
Like what in-store Muzak used to be -- instrumental versions of popular vocal hits.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:24 am

This is a bit different from "elevator music" though. It's literally the original recording with the vocal removed, not a re-recording by Mantovani or some anonymous European orchestra. Kinda like when you'd buy a CD single back in the day and the record company would include what they sometimes called a "karaoke version" of the song, just the instrumental track without vocals.
I like the B/EZ format as it was presented on terrestrial radio in decades past, and now on SiriusXM and a very small handful of terrestrial stations such as KLUX in Texas and WEMP in Wisconsin, but this is just bizarre.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic