Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fan Boy Custer

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Deleted User 15555

Re: Fan Boy Custer

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:00 am

Realist wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 pm
Here’s an idea - maybe his smarmy attitude and ego just come off wrong.
The guy reads the news. I’m not sure what is so smarmy about him compared to anyone else.

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:22 pm

bbb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm
The hate for David on this thread is just wild. I can't imagine what it is about him that makes you all dislike him so much compared to other (egotistical) anchors in the market. Hmmm. What could it be? 🙄

David is a lovely human. He's thoughtful and generous, he's incredibly smart and is talented (despite what many of you seem to think). News is a high pressure situation and he absolutely expects the best possible out of his colleagues, so if there are stories of him getting frustrated or angry at work... yeah, that makes sense. Show me one anchor who hasn't gotten frustrated at work. I've worked with many and I can't think of one. I've known David for 7 years and I've never seen him be unkind or cruel to anyone, unlike many of you here.

My point being, if any of you actually knew David, you wouldn't be here saying these things. And the fact that you don't know him but decide to pass such vitriolic judgment against him for things like (gasp) filming a clip at home during Covid with decorations you don't like, is actually pathetic. Take your homophobia elsewhere.
"vitriolic" :roll:

Nobody mentioned the man's sexuality, so you can stuff that strawman in the trash with the rest of them. Custer fan boys get mad and have to attack the imaginary motivations of those who criticize him. Lame of you to drag his sexuality into the discussion - it has zero relevance.

It's funny how I've laid this out multiple times but the Custer defense force can't bring themselves to acknowledge it (not that it matters to me).

The criticism is not directed at Custer for the act of decorating his home.

The commercial was presented as an example of his vainglorious egomania. Custer went out of his way to elaborately stage a 15-20 second video clip while literally every other team member just made a short impromptu selfie video, many of which were potato quality.

Custer was not given special orders to do that by the producers. Instead of a simple, heartfelt message of "We're in this together" he seized the opportunity to indulge his vanity and narcissistic impulses. It was a glaring contrast to the modesty of the other WNEM folks.

Now that's settled, as a reporter Custer is below average. "Smarmy" is a great description of his on-air presence. Custer wants to be in the big leagues but as someone wrote previously his lack of talent prevents him from making the jump. In Custer's defense he's not the worst news personality at WNEM - that ignominious distinction goes to Blake Keller.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:06 pm

tmurphy90 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:22 pm
bbb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm
The hate for David on this thread is just wild. I can't imagine what it is about him that makes you all dislike him so much compared to other (egotistical) anchors in the market. Hmmm. What could it be? 🙄

David is a lovely human. He's thoughtful and generous, he's incredibly smart and is talented (despite what many of you seem to think). News is a high pressure situation and he absolutely expects the best possible out of his colleagues, so if there are stories of him getting frustrated or angry at work... yeah, that makes sense. Show me one anchor who hasn't gotten frustrated at work. I've worked with many and I can't think of one. I've known David for 7 years and I've never seen him be unkind or cruel to anyone, unlike many of you here.

My point being, if any of you actually knew David, you wouldn't be here saying these things. And the fact that you don't know him but decide to pass such vitriolic judgment against him for things like (gasp) filming a clip at home during Covid with decorations you don't like, is actually pathetic. Take your homophobia elsewhere.
"vitriolic" :roll:

Nobody mentioned the man's sexuality, so you can stuff that strawman in the trash with the rest of them. Custer fan boys get mad and have to attack the imaginary motivations of those who criticize him. Lame of you to drag his sexuality into the discussion - it has zero relevance.

It's funny how I've laid this out multiple times but the Custer defense force can't bring themselves to acknowledge it (not that it matters to me).

The criticism is not directed at Custer for the act of decorating his home.

The commercial was presented as an example of his vainglorious egomania. Custer went out of his way to elaborately stage a 15-20 second video clip while literally every other team member just made a short impromptu selfie video, many of which were potato quality.

Custer was not given special orders to do that by the producers. Instead of a simple, heartfelt message of "We're in this together" he seized the opportunity to indulge his vanity and narcissistic impulses. It was a glaring contrast to the modesty of the other WNEM folks.

Now that's settled, as a reporter Custer is below average. "Smarmy" is a great description of his on-air presence. Custer wants to be in the big leagues but as someone wrote previously his lack of talent prevents him from making the jump. In Custer's defense he's not the worst news personality at WNEM - that ignominious distinction goes to Blake Keller.
Give examples of the below average reporting oh great one. It’s great that all of you can point to Davids ego/smarminess but never seem to have anything to back it up, except house decorations.

And you don’t know what the creative service department told him. You think you can say that comfortably but you can’t.

And you have a problem with Blake Keller too? Weird. Loser.

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:08 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:06 pm
Give examples of the below average reporting oh great one. It’s great that all of you can point to Davids ego/smarminess but never seem to have anything to back it up, except house decorations.
Try watching a broadcast sometime. You'll have the examples you seek. :)
And you don’t know what the creative service department told him. You think you can say that comfortably but you can’t.
:rollin
And you somehow do know? Here's what you said earlier:
BehindTheScenes wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am
And a good chance the Wnem creative service department told him what they wanted.
Let's see who makes more sense:

Me: "Custer is the only one who filmed his short video message like it was a primetime commercial. There is no reason to believe the producers asked him to do that and accepted potato selfie videos from the other team members."

You: "But they probably told him to do it!"

You should probably change your name from 'BehindTheScenes' to 'BehindtheCurve'.
And you have a problem with Blake Keller too? Weird. Loser.
I don't have a "problem" with Blake Keller. I simply see and acknowledge that he's not good in front of the camera. All of his morning interviews and guest discussions are so awkward. Then again, I'm a loser according to a rabid Custer fanboy. :lol:

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:09 am

The only reason Custer has a job right now is because he is on WNEM and the aging viewership has dementia and can’t figure out how to change channels. Custer wouldn’t have a job in any other Michigan TV market. Once his ratings start to dip due to the increase in obituaries of TV5’s viewers, let’s see what Cher’s superfan/sock creator does next…

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 am

TMURPHY:

Custer does not have a 'lack of talent'. He just needs some coaching.

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:41 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 am
TMURPHY:

Custer does not have a 'lack of talent'. He just needs some coaching.
It's both, mostly the former though. Plus it'd be extremely difficult for anyone to coach someone whose narcissism precludes them from acknowledging their own flaws and shortcomings.

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:19 pm

If Sam Merrill didn't die, Custer would still be stuck anchoring the little watched 10 newscast and continuing to post those demeaning memes of his co-workers promoting it without management caring or anyone noticing.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:57 am

I've talked with him several times now, and he's always come across as a genuine, caring person. I don't understand your beef.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 am

Custer's other half!! By the way, Custer & his friends went to Cancun, Mexico this week!! https://www.facebook.com/dan.buccilli

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm

Maybe Gray will understand that anything that involves Refinery Hair Company is a conflict of interest.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm

Ken wouldn’t care… as long as the Refinery was an advertiser

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm
Ken wouldn’t care… as long as the Refinery was an advertiser
Don’t know $hit about $hit.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:10 pm

smallwonder wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm
Maybe Gray will understand that anything that involves Refinery Hair Company is a conflict of interest.
David hasn’t promoted the business on TV5s airwaves.

The story you’re probably going to refer to was another reporter who made a poor choice without David’s involvement.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:50 pm

That’s not true. You can’t say Custer didn’t know about an interview with his husband. That would require us to believe Custer doesn’t speak with his husband…. It was a major lapse of ethics that Custer has never apologized for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic