Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fan Boy Custer

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Herm

Re: Fan Boy Custer

Post by Herm » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:35 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:13 pm
I’m pretty sure most of the posters here who don’t have a problem with Custer posting selfies with President Biden, probably would have a big problem if he did that with former President Trump. The fact is the selfie should be off limits.

If Custer was a truly independent reporter, he would have taken a photo of Biden speaking at the event, the arrival of Air Force One at MBS Airport, etc. to reinforce he was covering this event. Instead he again makes himself the story.

Selfies are for his attendance at Cher concerts, not political rallies.
I wouldn’t have a problem either way.
Attending the event as a supporter of the President and taking a selfie with him would be an issue. That would draw his objectivity into question, but that’s not what he did here.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 am

That’s the difference between journalists and members of the tech crew. We have ethical standards of conduct that we are supposed to live up to. (Apparently WNEM doesn’t have these standards or Jayne allows David to violate them…). We are taught in journalism classes about avoiding even the appearance of favoritism in our reporting (not just the final report, but also in news gathering) through organizations like the Society of Professional Journalists, RTDNA, Poynter, Investigative Reporters and Editors, etc. which all have developed Codes of Ethics. However, according to Herm, apparently ethics be damned in pursuit of social Media engagement.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:29 am

That’s not what Herm or I are saying at all. But you just sit over there with your Sinclair gift Gard and grilled cheese and continue to cry about it.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:00 am

BTS: apparently then you can’t write a discernible post if I or others can’t understand what you’re talking about.

And since I know Herm from our days working on Williard Road, I know the nuanced point he’s trying to make. I just disagree with it. I think Custer should be held to a higher standard. He is after all working at the number one station in the market. His newscasts are the top rated for the time period. I couldn’t imagine a Sam Merrill or Bill Harris or Terry Camp posting selfies during a political rally.

And try to keep up with us. I no longer work at 25-66. I didn’t get my $50 ($35 after taxes taken out) thank you gift card. And if I want a grilled cheese sandwich, I can make it myself.

My pay just about doubled when I left 25-66. My schedule improved. And I work at a shop where my colleagues and I are appreciated, not micromanaged by a series of managers that keep getting promoted to their highest level of incompetency.

Luke

Post by Luke » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:56 pm

Would I take a picture with president biden if I was covering a visit? Yes. I would do the same with president trump.

Would I post that picture on my work social media? No.

Do I think Custer was wrong in doing it? No.

I think it’s a fair discussion but I really don’t think it’s a H*** deal. The president is the president and while maybe polarizing, he’s still the president. I remember Barbara Walters posing for pictures of people she interviewed, even if they are polarizing. Nobody ever assumed she was “fan girling” by doing so.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:13 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:00 am
BTS: apparently then you can’t write a discernible post if I or others can’t understand what you’re talking about.

And since I know Herm from our days working on Williard Road, I know the nuanced point he’s trying to make. I just disagree with it. I think Custer should be held to a higher standard. He is after all working at the number one station in the market. His newscasts are the top rated for the time period. I couldn’t imagine a Sam Merrill or Bill Harris or Terry Camp posting selfies during a political rally.

And try to keep up with us. I no longer work at 25-66. I didn’t get my $50 ($35 after taxes taken out) thank you gift card. And if I want a grilled cheese sandwich, I can make it myself.

My pay just about doubled when I left 25-66. My schedule improved. And I work at a shop where my colleagues and I are appreciated, not micromanaged by a series of managers that keep getting promoted to their highest level of incompetency.
Good for you. All those good things and you can’t let this industry go.

If David posted that he’s a big fan of President Biden or Trump, then I agree with you. But he didn’t. Luke puts it well, different strokes, different folks. This shouldn’t be an indictment on Custer’s fairness, though some on this board seem to have an obsession with his every move. Guessing there are some underlying reasons for that, but I’ll leave that alone.

And the comment from DAC saying Meg sucks is comical. Meg is one of the hardest working journalists you’ll find.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 pm

I'm not a fan of Biden, but some local anchor/reporter in a who gives a fuck market is NOT covering the president. I would absolutely take a picture with any president whether I liked them or not. It can be true that Custer is a douche and the picture is NOT inappropriate.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:07 pm

BTS: that’s one thing we both agree on… Meg is a top notch journalist.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:57 am
That’s the difference between journalists and members of the tech crew. We have ethical standards of conduct that we are supposed to live up to. (Apparently WNEM doesn’t have these standards or Jayne allows David to violate them…). We are taught in journalism classes about avoiding even the appearance of favoritism in our reporting (not just the final report, but also in news gathering) through organizations like the Society of Professional Journalists, RTDNA, Poynter, Investigative Reporters and Editors, etc. which all have developed Codes of Ethics. However, according to Herm, apparently ethics be damned in pursuit of social Media engagement.
I’ve taken journalism classes too dude so stop talking down to me. Even with my education and experience (which are both extensive) I do not see this as a violation of ethics.
He did not attend the event as a supporter of any policy, cause, or candidate. He did not make any statements of support for the President.
He took a selfie.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:52 pm

Oh, no! Custer is behaving as many Americans would! As Matt said above, I’m no fan on Biden. But if I got the chance to meet a President, I’d consider it a neat opportunity. If I got the chance to get a selfie with said President, it would immediately go on my social media too. That’s not unprofessional.

Did he post a selfie with Biden, but refuse a photo with a previous Republican President? If so, you may have a point.
Otherwise, this post is just a cry for attention.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:38 am

Not a cry for attention, just keeping it real. If you’re a journalist worth your spit, you don’t do this crap. Simple point. Not sure why so much hate for an opinion. Seems like some of y’all just want to complain.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:26 am

“Some of you just want to complain”

There is no way that was just written by you.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:59 pm

Truth hurts when it’s thrown back in your face.

I’ll be here all night long!

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:36 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:59 pm
Truth hurts when it’s thrown back in your face.

I’ll be here all night long!
I didn't know it was possible to lack self-awareness to the extent stink does.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:19 pm

Hey Matt, glad you are back in the world of the living. I can always count on you to spout BS and take posts off topic! Wishing you a very Happy Holidays!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic