Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC 10pm

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

NBC 10pm

Post by sinklair » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:45 am

NBC is floating a proposal to cut network programming at 10pm and give that time back to local affiliates.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/nbc-could- ... 01078/amp/

That plan is being met with mixed reaction at 25-66.

WSMH already has a 10pm news. NBC’s plan would mean WEYI would have to produce a newscast that would compete directly with our own FOX newscast.

NBC stations would get more commercial inventory in a 60 minute time slot than in our current 35 minute hole at 11pm.

I agree partially with their reasoning that viewers just aren’t staying up to watch an 11pm newscast.

But I also have to believe this is a problem with network entertainment divisions no longer investing in the development of new shows. There are good shows out there… but you’ll find them on Netflix, HBO, etc. — not on broadcast tv. That’s because cable and streaming channels are spending money to develop shows. That’s why NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX aren’t winning Emmy Awards.

Networks like NBC are killing their own revenue funnel by putting on cheap reality TV programming and running serials like the Chicago and Law and Order series into the ground.

Martin Stett

Re: NBC 10pm

Post by Martin Stett » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:55 pm

The all new one hour Steals and Deals!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Network primetime scripted television is pretty much dead, and I don't see it coming back. There is too much competition from cable and streaming services. The recent trends have been to re-boot old shows or go all in on a franchise, like the Chicago series. Netflix is irritating in that they sometimes pull the plug too early on a show, but they've put out some great content the last decade or so. In fairness, AMC has gone all in on everything TWD, where I'm not sure you have anywhere close to the interest of when the original show was in season 4 or 5. It will be interesting to see if anything actually happens with NBC in this regard.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:35 am

They could air the same newscast on both stations. It’s not exactly competing.
I didn’t see anything in the article stating whether NBC would require affiliates to air a 10pm news. If they keep their late-night programming schedule the same, affiliates could still do news at 11 and fill the time before it with some other show. Although, that would be a ratings killer for their newscasts. I can’t see the network requiring affiliates to fill the entire hole with news if they don’t slide TTC to an earlier time. Currently, the networks that end their prime time at 10pm have no late-night programming, so they don’t have to consider these factors.
I think there’s a greater chance that NBC comes up with some new inexpensive reality show competition to air in prime time and they maintain the traditional schedule.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic