Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

More News on TV5

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MasterB

Re: More News on TV5

Post by MasterB » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:20 pm
Many TV stations are adding a 4pm newscast. It's not just 5. 9&10 in Cadillac have one and 8 in Grand Rapids as well.
There is no news in Northern Michigan which can't support a 4PM Newscast that is a rehash to begin with. Wood TV I understand since GR is bigger than Northern Michigan WXMI Fox17 has been doing 4PM news since 2014.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:17 am

ABC 12 News At Noon is now a half hour (30 minutes) instead of a hour (60 minutes) till 12:30.

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:21 am

matt1 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:17 am
ABC 12 News At Noon is now a half hour (30 minutes) instead of a hour (60 minutes) till 12:30.
!2.30 - 1:
New courtroom show We the People with Judge Lauren Lake in 95% of U.S. broadcast syndication markets for a fall launch, Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios said today.
https://deadline.com/2022/07/we-the-peo ... 234779517/

m60

Post by m60 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:43 pm

AuburnViewer wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:39 pm
As seen on Facebook: EXCITING NEWS! TV5 is launching a one-hour newscast at 4 p.m. on Sept. 12! It will be anchored by our very own Colette Boyd. Starting that week, you can watch Colette at noon and 4 p.m. We hope you'll tune in!
Colette Boyd? nope she is fake. can't stand her

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:08 pm

m60 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:43 pm
AuburnViewer wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:39 pm
As seen on Facebook: EXCITING NEWS! TV5 is launching a one-hour newscast at 4 p.m. on Sept. 12! It will be anchored by our very own Colette Boyd. Starting that week, you can watch Colette at noon and 4 p.m. We hope you'll tune in!
Colette Boyd? nope she is fake. can't stand her
+1

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm

Colette is a real person with real feelings, people!

She must be doing something right. She keeps quitting only to be hired back.

But then again, she just got demoted off the important morning show to the little watched midday and new (no ratings yet) 4pm newscast. Not sure the show can sustain her sizable paycheck nor her sizable ego for too long if she doesn’t start bringing in the ratings. Just ask Frank Turner how the midday experiment worked for him…

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:59 pm

Colette's morning show phoniness doesn't work in the afternoon. Her eyerolling, overenthusiastic reaction to high school football was so over the top proclaiming that Mid-Michigan has the best athletes in the state. The newscast has no identity, as they ran last week's football plays of the week reel just randomly. And, 5 must not care about Dr. Phil being on at 3 as the 4 in the morning airing on 5+ is the one for the upcoming day. There's no need to watch it in the afternoon.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:02 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm
Colette is a real person with real feelings, people!

She must be doing something right. She keeps quitting only to be hired back.

But then again, she just got demoted off the important morning show to the little watched midday and new (no ratings yet) 4pm newscast. Not sure the show can sustain her sizable paycheck nor her sizable ego for too long if she doesn’t start bringing in the ratings. Just ask Frank Turner how the midday experiment worked for him…
You should apply the same logic to all of your former colleagues that you shit on. They are real people too...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:34 pm

Matt, you should apply the logic you insist I uphold to every post you spend obsessing over me.

First, observations are not the same as sh*tting on people.

Do I criticize management and other journalists when they fall short of upholding high standards? You bet I do.

If that is abhorrent to your delicate sensibilities, I’d recommend a 12 step program that starts with you finding another outlet other than the Michigan TV and Radio Buzzboard.

You can’t find fault in any of my observations. If you did, you would surely call me out on it.

The facts are these: Collette was demoted to the midday shows. She makes one of the highest talent salaries at WNEM. The midday shows do not generate nearly the revenue that the morning or evening shows do. If the ratings in midday continue to be anemic under her (just like they were under Frank), Collette should expect the same result. If I were her, I’d be updating my resume. This is a clear sign from GM Ken and News Director Jane about Collette’s lack of value.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:16 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:34 pm

The facts are these: Collette was demoted to the midday shows. She makes one of the highest talent salaries at WNEM. The midday shows do not generate nearly the revenue that the morning or evening shows do. If the ratings in midday continue to be anemic under her (just like they were under Frank), Collette should expect the same result. If I were her, I’d be updating my resume. This is a clear sign from GM Ken and News Director Jane about Collette’s lack of value.
LOL. Or maybe Colette is a mom who values being home with her kids and wanted the schedule? You don’t know the things you think you do. Just like that 18 an hour you are so sure that everyone in the building got.

Frank Turner not being at 5 is because of Frank Turner and no one else.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 pm

There’s no doubt that Frank was responsible for his own demise. However, if he was generating ratings and thus revenue don’t believe for a second that WNEM management would have kept him around.

But he didn’t. Frank’s ego combined with dropping ratings in a daypart that couldn’t support his salary… sound familiar?

I don’t doubt Collette thinks this is a good move for her personally. It’s a bad move for her professionally… whether she knows it or not. But good for her, I guess?

And yes, those few under contract who were making less than $18 an hour were given raises. Plus the increased vacation time. Plus the increased 401K company match. Plus the $0 healthcare option for 2023. So yes, I still stand by my assessment that Gray is better than Sinclair and Allen Media. If you don’t believe so, I can send you a job application for 25-66 to not make $18 an hour.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:05 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 pm
There’s no doubt that Frank was responsible for his own demise. However, if he was generating ratings and thus revenue don’t believe for a second that WNEM management would have kept him around.

But he didn’t. Frank’s ego combined with dropping ratings in a daypart that couldn’t support his salary… sound familiar?

I don’t doubt Collette thinks this is a good move for her personally. It’s a bad move for her professionally… whether she knows it or not. But good for her, I guess?

And yes, those few under contract who were making less than $18 an hour were given raises. Plus the increased vacation time. Plus the increased 401K company match. Plus the $0 healthcare option for 2023. So yes, I still stand by my assessment that Gray is better than Sinclair and Allen Media. If you don’t believe so, I can send you a job application for 25-66 to not make $18 an hour.
Ask the contracted employees at 5 if they’ve got that raise. You’ll feel pretty stupid after. Stick to your own former station.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:23 am

WNEM and 12 each have 8 openings posted. 25-66 has 5 job listings. The stations are down about a quarter of the newsroom.

Most contracted employees were making over $18 an hour. Stick to what you know…

I find it amusing that you’re actually trying to criticize a company that is raising entry level wages. I’m less concerned that David Custer didn’t get a raise than the kid barely able to pay for food and rent. Plus some of the other benefits (vacation time, 401K, health care) impact every employee.

Why aren’t you criticizing Sinclair, Allen Media and others that are raking in record levels of political dollars, yet aren’t doing what Gray TV is doing… sharing some of that wealth with its employees?

I will stick to what I know. These major broadcasters need to follow WNEM/Gray’s lead in focusing on hiring and keeping its good workers.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:04 am

Not talking about David Custer or any of the talent that’s been there a long time. TV5 is covered by a union contract which Gray excluded from their “generous” offer.

So how about you and your grilled cheese sit in a corner and stick to your own former stations problems.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am

The unions can renegotiate with station managers anytime they want. It’s literally their one and only job.

We used to have a Union at 25-66. It went away because it was ineffective and union members stopped paying and participating. Sound familiar?

If 5’s union doesn’t want to talk to station managers about getting all their members to $18 an hour and some of the additional benefits… then maybe union members should abandon the union.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic