Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brad Sugden out at 12 to be chief in Lansing

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Jack5o2soco

Brad Sugden out at 12 to be chief in Lansing

Post by Jack5o2soco » Tue May 17, 2022 4:03 pm

Brad posted he's done at 12 and going to Lansing to be chief at Fox47. I guess they aren't replacing him? I see two weekend spots open on abc12 website. Or moving Kevin Goff? Is that ND still causing hell there? Is she not able to be fired? Sad how far it is falling. I wonder where it stops for 12? Anyhow he was good and much better than Kirtek. I think I get fox47 on my antenna.

journalist

Re: Brad Sugden out at 12 to be chief in Lansing

Post by journalist » Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 pm

The writing is on the wall at 12. In the broadcast world the entire state knows you shouldn't go to that station. The horror stories of how that ND treats people are traveling.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm

journalist wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 pm
The writing is on the wall at 12. In the broadcast world the entire state knows you shouldn't go to that station. The horror stories of how that ND treats people are traveling.
Are you saying 25/66 is better 12 now? Not trying to start an argument.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed May 18, 2022 4:30 pm

Wow. I can't believe they let her run so many people out of there. How does that make any business sense? Guess it's 5 for us from now on

journalist

Post by journalist » Wed May 18, 2022 10:21 pm

organman95 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm
journalist wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 pm
It's a fair question. I've had debates about it. I would say yes if not on par with the overlords at Sinclair. If you talk to anyone who has survived the latest fire at 12 they'll tell you it's the worst ever.

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Fri May 20, 2022 3:50 pm

[/quote]

It's a fair question. I've had debates about it. I would say yes if not on par with the overlords at Sinclair. If you talk to anyone who has survived the latest fire at 12 they'll tell you it's the worst ever.
[/quote]

From a technical stand point, 25/66/46 are far superior to both 12 and 5.

Under New Management

Post by Under New Management » Sat May 21, 2022 10:19 am

What is with the exodus of 12’s meteorologists to smaller markets? First, Colton Cichoracki goes to WILX… now Brad Sugden is leaving for WSYM. Are JR and Denise that difficult to work with?

25/66/46 is a disaster too. To say that 12 is worse than the Sinclair run triopoly is to ignore its mass exodus and hiring of kids out of college who don’t know of its reputation.

The only place that seems to be doing a halfway decent job is WNEM. They’ve got a good GM, a good News Director, and now with Ahmad Bajjey leaving, the best Chief Met in the market with Chris.

Formerjourn

Post by Formerjourn » Sat May 21, 2022 2:29 pm

As a former 12er, the place is anything BUT a good work environment. I’ve weathered the wrath of Denise and the belittling and bullying. There’s a lot to be said when even community members and leaders know how she has treated her staff. When I left, I was the 30 something person that left under her ‘leadership’.

JR is JR.

It certainly doesn’t help matters when you have a company like Allen Media running the joint. The company is an absolute joke. Everything must go through Andy Fisher, who is contracted out through Heartland Media to literally micromanage every effing decision that’s made there and he takes forever. This means hiring and renewing contracts takes MONTHS.
The company doesn’t offer a 401K match. Benefits went in the toilet.

Pete Veto set that station up for disaster.
And now Brock has to pick up the pieces.

God Bless the people that still work there.
The best thing I ever did was leave that dumpster fire.

Under New Management

Post by Under New Management » Sun May 22, 2022 1:08 am

Brock should have fired Denise on Day 1 of his tenure as WJRT’s GM… and promoted Pat Wilson. It wouldn’t fix everything at 12, but I guarantee that this mass exodus wouldn’t have happened. 12 used to be the place to go to. Now it’s a laughing stock. 12 is still better than Sinclair’s 25/66/46, but that’s not saying much.

journalist

Post by journalist » Sun May 22, 2022 9:32 pm

There's been close to 30 people on air and behind the scenes that have left 12. She's the kind of person who blames it on other reasons not her own failures.

Under New Management

Post by Under New Management » Sun May 22, 2022 11:44 pm

EVERY TV station has seen upheaval. 12’s is on a completely different level. A good manager would have been able to stop some of the departures or at least slow it. Denise is not a good manager.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Wed May 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Under New Management wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:19 am
What is with the exodus of 12’s meteorologists to smaller markets? First, Colton Cichoracki goes to WILX… now Brad Sugden is leaving for WSYM. Are JR and Denise that difficult to work with?

25/66/46 is a disaster too. To say that 12 is worse than the Sinclair run triopoly is to ignore its mass exodus and hiring of kids out of college who don’t know of its reputation.

The only place that seems to be doing a halfway decent job is WNEM. They’ve got a good GM, a good News Director, and now with Ahmad Bajjey leaving, the best Chief Met in the market with Chris.
Brad is going to be chief and the job posting says he'll be based in GR. Seems like a better life instead of Flint. Also, Denise is the ND? Jr and her are absolutely awful from what I heard! A friend there said they told everyone they aren't allowed to go to Hr that shes immune and they'll be fired if they do go to HR

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:05 pm

It's not just radio and TV with this kind of management. The small factory I retired from last year was full of this. Lower management was nothing but a bunch of bullies. They kept bringing in people and they'd only last a week or two because they couldn't put up with all the crap. If they went to HR, they were thrown out the door. On top of that a now retired and deceased operations manager who had no idea what products the place produced. But he was buddies with the now former owners. On top of that and HR manager who was a complete nit wit. But again, she was friends with the operations manager and his buddies. There also were some outright nasty, mean, and territorial co-workers with which to deal. That was a small percentage. There were some awfully great people there. I hope they don't get run out.

Deleted User 15822

Post by Deleted User 15822 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:15 pm

Under New Management wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:19 am

I'll chime in on this one! Sorry, a coworker showed me this thread haha. Short answer, yes. But also, market isn't everything to me. It's work environment, schedule, culture, and pay. Lansing made me an offer that reflected my talent and experience quite well. I will also be hubbed out of Fox17 in Grand Rapids (as some said here). Which means I'll live and work there! I will make frequent (station paid) trips to the market. I can see how numbers in market size, assumed salary, etc., might look like it's a step down, but I assure you its not :). This is the only post I plan on making with this account, I'll let it go inactive after this.
Last edited by Deleted User 15822 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Brad , you made an excellent choice in leaving. Last two Sundays you were doing the news. That looked ridiculous. Really Denise? Can't wait to see JR Sundays doing news sports and weather. Stay true to yourself. You're major market talent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic