Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Goodnight and Good Luck

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Goodnight and Good Luck

Post by sinklair » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:28 pm

Matt, since I answered this question in another thread, I’ll assume you just hit your head really hard.

Km: I’m not driving down the quality of local journalism. I’m no longer in the industry. If you are truly concerned about the lack of journalism at stations like 25-66 and 12, you should blame those who are in charge… AKA the General Managers, News Directors, Sales Managers and the like who are more concerned about the balance sheet than hiring, promoting and retaining good journalists who will raise the quality of journalism… which will in return raise ratings… which in return will raise revenue. It’s a pretty simple equation that seems to confuse those in charge at Sinclair run 25-66. When they change their operational model which is currently focused on running their stations on the cheap, I’ll stop criticizing them. Until then, you might want to keep your uniformed opinions to yourself.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:58 pm

Congrats to another one of my former colleagues who today called it quits. There are a lot of people behind the scenes who make the TV magic happen everyday. One of those was Kim Willis, a Newscast Director turned News Producer. A great person behind the scenes that helped raise the quality of journalism every day. She will be missed.

Another sad example of how new News Director Karin doesn’t care to try to keep good people. She’s not the reason Kim is leaving… that’s probably a result of bad pay, high stress, lack of recognition and advancement opportunities.

Good luck Kim on your new adventure.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:05 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:58 pm
Congrats to another one of my former colleagues who today called it quits. There are a lot of people behind the scenes who make the TV magic happen everyday. One of those was Kim Willis, a Newscast Director turned News Producer. A great person behind the scenes that helped raise the quality of journalism every day. She will be missed.

Another sad example of how new News Director Karin doesn’t care to try to keep good people. She’s not the reason Kim is leaving… that’s probably a result of bad pay, high stress, lack of recognition and advancement opportunities.

Good luck Kim on your new adventure.
Okay… I’ll bite.
If the new ND is not the reason this person is leaving, then how is this an example of that ND not caring to try to keep good people?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:29 am

Herm, it’s her newsroom now. She could have tried to keep Kim. There’s was nothing more than a feeble attempt. It shows a lack of leadership on Karin’s part (well documented with her time at WNEM) about taking care of those who do all the heavy lifting. Karin has zero plan on how to address low wages, bad morale, the bum rush out the door by veteran talent. If it’s not Karin’s responsibility, who’s responsibility do you suggest it falls to?

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:57 am

Where did Kim go, a better market?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:44 pm

No, she’s doing PR at a Detroit area school district. That’s how bad it has gotten.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:09 pm

"Detroit area" is better than Flint - probably better hours and summers mostly off.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:18 am

I thought it was bean counter, oh I mean GM Becky's job to keep talent like Kim to stay at 25-66 or Armstrong Williams has he been spotted in the building at 25-66 this year since I heard he is scared to get out of his car while in Flint, so I have heard from Sinklair. Yup, it is better pay for Kim plus getting holidays & summers off is a plus as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Herm

Post by Herm » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:07 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:29 am
Herm, it’s her newsroom now. She could have tried to keep Kim. There’s was nothing more than a feeble attempt. It shows a lack of leadership on Karin’s part (well documented with her time at WNEM) about taking care of those who do all the heavy lifting. Karin has zero plan on how to address low wages, bad morale, the bum rush out the door by veteran talent. If it’s not Karin’s responsibility, who’s responsibility do you suggest it falls to?
I don’t think the ND at WEYI has as much control over wages as you’re implying. Even if they did, are they supposed to drop everything and start selling the furniture to keep a producer from leaving? A feeble attempt is still an attempt and, in this industry, it’s about all anyone in that position is going to get.
You say it’s well documented, yet I’ve seen accounts that directly contradict your opinion of this person’s tenure at WNEM.
As far as who’s responsibility it is to retain quality staff at the station… it’s a team effort. It takes a commitment from management to provide adequate compensation and a positive work environment and it takes a certain level of understanding from staff about their role in the overall operation of the station and whether or not these items align. While we may not agree on the specifics of this situation, I think we both agree that the management at WEYI has come up short on their end of the formula that I just laid out. It’s been like that since before this new ND got there. Sometimes, people are going to leave based on factors that they will only know, truly. Personally, a PR job in the Detroit area sounds way more appealing than a producer job in the Flint area, on a lot of levels.
Also, I feel a little iffy about discussing the career paths of behind the scenes employees. Like… the suits and the talent are fair game… but those of us who push the buttons in dark control rooms should be afforded a certain level of privacy on these Internet forums.

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:55 pm

Herm,
I can confirm that she is truly as terrible as mentioned. And rumors coming from WEYI are horrendous. I disagree with Sinklair on almost everything, but this ND is a disaster waiting to happen.

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:37 am

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
(takes time to self compose)...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic