Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Flint & Tri-Cities - random radio observations

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Flint & Tri-Cities - random radio observations

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Just traveled through the area twice over the past four days.

THE GOOD:
- Banana 101.5's processing is much improved from two years ago. I also observed some playlist changes - for the better. These must've just occurred, because the last time I checked the playlist, it was overloaded with safe classic rock. They were actually doing a new music showcase this past weekend, and it sounded GOOD!
- 94.5 The Moose: I love the voiceovers, the creative value of their production pieces in general, and the audio processing is terrific. This station sounds really, really good. Two years ago, I thought 98KCQ was the better station. Not anymore. KCQ isn't shabby at all, but The Moose is in a different league right now.
- 102.5 WIOG: The processing is CRUNK, but dynamic range and stereo separation both sounded good. Music was spot on for a CHR in the year 2021.
- Radio U 101.7/103.5: I just love the fact a Christian station actually plays some nu metal as an integral part of its playlist. :) Also, great processing on the Saginaw area translator at 103.5.
- 103.9 The Fox: Excellent air talent, processing is greatly improved from the last time I heard the station, and music choices are spot on.
- 98.5 WUPS: Station has taken on an even more pronounced classic rock lean, which I think is a good move. Mt. Pleasant, Clare & Alma deserve a reliable classic rock outlet. Coverage area & processing were both excellent. Kept a decent signal almost to Birch Run on today's drive home. Other than some minor picket fencing on the south side of the Zilwaukee Bridge, was surprisingly strong in Saginaw.
- 97.3 Joe FM: I strongly prefer the music choices and stationality on this station versus its Lansing-area sister (101.7 Mike FM).

MIXED BAG:
- 98.9 The Beat sounded good when I heard the station today, but I heard nothing but dead air every time I tuned by the station on Saturday. Cannot say with confidence that is actually what the station was broadcasting, because my OEM infotainment system in my Ford has been doing some funky things on random FM channels lately.
- Sunny 97.7: I like the localism of the station, but the mic processing sounds miserable and the music processing is simply passable at best.
- Z93: The audio levels need to be cranked up, and the nasally voiced V/O artist the station uses sucks. The playlist isn't as fun as I last remember, either.

THE BAD:
- Cars 108 still bores me to tears. Just an ultra boring listen.
- Two years ago, I thought My 96.1 WHNN was a much better station than Cars 108. I can no longer say that. While WHNN still offers the better playlist, the bush league sounding voiceover and the HORRIFCALLY flimsy and distorted processing that overkills high-end treble makes the station an unbearable listen. Even during commercials I can hear a ton of audio distortion. Did some clueless moron actually program the current processor settings willfully, or is the station enduring equipment failure of some kind?

Realist

Re: Flint & Tri-Cities - random radio observations

Post by Realist » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Interesting.

Banana had to have changed very recently as it didn’t sound like that 2 weeks ago because the classic rock was still there when I went through.

The Fox has always had some great jocks and audio. Their processing has always been spot on

Joe FM has sounded very good since they became an all 80’s station.

Z93 has been having transmitter issues and were in the process of replacing it last week, as they put this on Facebook. While out and about today, I’m not sure if they did as there wasn’t much difference. I could be wrong. Voice guy is the one that Cumulus uses for most of their rock stations.

I actually had a preset for WHNN when they were classic hits. No more. Garbage station with garbage ratings as a result now. 100K blow torch signal that is a complete waste.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:07 pm

The Fox has always had some great jocks and audio. Their processing has always been spot on
Their processing has sounded terrible at times, although it's been quite a while since it sounded outright crappy. I do agree that the DJ lineup has long been top notch!
Z93 has been having transmitter issues and were in the process of replacing it last week, as they put this on Facebook. While out and about today, I’m not sure if they did as there wasn’t much difference. I could be wrong. Voice guy is the one that Cumulus uses for most of their rock stations.
I noticed nothing unusual regarding signal range. On Saturday midday, it faded out where it normally does along U.S. 10 (between Evart and Reed City). Coming back home, was able to keep the station until about Grand Blanc.

Perhaps some audio adjustments need to still occur and will occur.

Banana still does play some classic rock, but they seem to have scaled it back a bit. One thing that bothered me about the station when I heard it today was the length of some of the commercial breaks.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 am

I agree on most of these points for the stations that I listen to. But even the playlists that have been freshened up for the better (WUPS, WMJO) are still WAY too narrow. I don't understand small playlists that give the listener the exact same experience day after day. Does anybody know why radio stations do this?

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:36 am

I’ve been listening to the Bananas for the past half hour and I guess I’m really not seeing the changes. They’re currently playing Def Leppard pour some Sugar on me. Couple songs ago, they played Aerosmith Jamie’s got a gone. Both songs do not belong on a active rock radio station. Clownsquare at its worse

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:04 am

There now playing quiet riot we’re not going to take it. Seriously?

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:30 pm

I live in Flint township. With an outdoor UHF corner reflector at about rooftop level, I can get get WUPS in stereo, but it has to be tweaked "just-so" to null out splatter from 98.7 in Detroit.

103.9 is about the only station wifey will listen to. She likes winning the contests. Frankly, I'd consider working part-time fill-in at the Fox, if only I felt better. WRSR had some pretty nasty sounding processing for the first few years after Cumu-less sold to Krol. My persistent bitching finally paid off and they got a new processor. Talent at the Fox is excellent, possibly the best in the state IMO.

WHNN... they had a great thing for a while, then it went to shit. I really don't understand their audio settings. It sounds like cell phone audio.

Flint's hidden gem is WKUF, the LP station at Kettering University. They play a mix of pop and disco with an old rock tune every now and then. They have a few live specialty shows, even a metal show. And the best part - NO SPOTS!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:30 pm

WHNN... they had a great thing for a while, then it went to shit. I really don't understand their audio settings. It sounds like cell phone audio.
That is an excellent comparison; I agree completely.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:06 pm

WKUF is great for a college station.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:30 pm
That is an excellent comparison; I agree completely.
I compared 100K watt WHNN with 38K watt Z93 today while in Bay City. Z93 was literally louder then WHNN, as I had to turn the volume up for WHNN. No one working there is noticing this???

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:12 am

Actually it is Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It" (1984) NOT Quiet Riot!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic