Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ABC12 and TV5 sale apparently completed

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Realist

ABC12 and TV5 sale apparently completed

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Saw a promo during the 5pm news hour on ABC12 where they were advertising a black news network nightly news program at 8pm “check your local listings”. I wondered WTF? Just realized why after watching the end of the news - news was copyrighted by their new owners “Allen Media Group”. I’m guessing that Grey now officially owns WNEM TV5.

How long before we see some changes to the on air news product on either station? Anyone going to be shit canned?

Deleted User 15555

Re: ABC12 and TV5 sale apparently completed

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 pm

It might be faster to list all the on-air talent that you all would be willing to keep at 5 or 12 rather than those you want to get kicked to the curb.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:24 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 pm
It might be faster to list all the on-air talent that you all would be willing to keep at 5 or 12 rather than those you want to get kicked to the curb.
That’s simple. While I generally don’t watch TV5 for news, I’d keep Meg McLeod, Bryan Bachman and the rest of weather team. That’s it. Not impressed by the rest of the crew there.

At ABC12, I’d personally keep everyone but Cheri Hardmon (who can’t speak coherently when on live TV). If you ask my wife, she’d get rid of Charlie Tinker. Then again, I’ve always thought that they have been way more professional than TV5 for many years.

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am

Realist wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:24 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
That’s simple. While I generally don’t watch TV5 for news, I’d keep Meg McLeod, Bryan Bachman and the rest of weather team. That’s it. Not impressed by the rest of the crew there.

At ABC12, I’d personally keep everyone but Cheri Hardmon (who can’t speak coherently when on live TV). If you ask my wife, she’d get rid of Charlie Tinker. Then again, I’ve always thought that they have been way more professional than TV5 for many years.
That's a little harsh. I think there's some good young talent here, such as Blake Keller, Jamie Sherrod, Kendall Keys. I am not a fan of John Gross though. That guy comes off as super creepy imo.

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:07 pm

From one ABC12 on air staffer:

And just like that, it's the dawn of a new area at ABC12. Ego ridden management that harassed us is out with the old company! I'm welcoming Allen Media with open arms!! Please be patient with us in this transition, but know the folks you love watching are in much better hands now 😁

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am
Realist wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:

That's a little harsh. I think there's some good young talent here, such as Blake Keller, Jamie Sherrod, Kendall Keys. I am not a fan of John Gross though. That guy comes off as super creepy imo.
As I said, I rarely, if ever, watch TV5 for news. While I may have heard those names, I’m not really familiar with their work or on air performance

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:15 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:07 pm

And just like that, it's the dawn of a new area at ABC12. Ego ridden management that harassed us is out with the old company! I'm welcoming Allen Media with open arms!! Please be patient with us in this transition, but know the folks you love watching are in much better hands now 😁
If that’s a public post on social media, wow.

TheGoodNews

Post by TheGoodNews » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 am

It is not a public post. It’s a personal Facebook page

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Didn't realize Gray was selling 12. Figured it'd be one those fake SSA setups with 5

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:31 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:15 pm
[quote=Luke post_id=679728 time=<a href="tel:1632528433">1632528433</a> user_id=313]

If that’s a public post on social media, wow.
[/quote]

Wasn’t a ABC12 manager or 2 retained by Grey to go to work at TV5?

BTW - just tuned for the end of the 6pm news on TV5. It still says Meredith Corporation

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Realist wrote:
...If you ask my wife, she’d get rid of Charlie Tinker. Then again, I’ve always thought that they have been way more professional than TV5 for many years.
Hello Realist,

Your wife had a valid sense about this, as Mr. Charlie Tinker's bio is gone from the WJRT website. Plus recent commenters on his Facebook page are wishing him well after hearing he's gone from ABC 12.

He's not seemed to post anywhere regarding his next destination. Perhaps back north, to Cadillac, as he spent time at NewsNet after leaving WWTV and before surfacing at WJRT?

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm

statmanmi wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Realist wrote:
...If you ask my wife, she’d get rid of Charlie Tinker. Then again, I’ve always thought that they have been way more professional than TV5 for many years.
Hello Realist,

Your wife had a valid sense about this, as Mr. Charlie Tinker's bio is gone from the WJRT website. Plus recent commenters on his Facebook page are wishing him well after hearing he's gone from ABC 12.

He's not seemed to post anywhere regarding his next destination. Perhaps back north, to Cadillac, as he spent time at NewsNet after leaving WWTV and before surfacing at WJRT?

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
I slept in the very last Sunday morning when he announced it was his last broadcast. She announced it to me when I got up and was happy to tell me this.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 am

Realist wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:39 pm
Saw a promo during the 5pm news hour on ABC12 where they were advertising a black news network nightly news program at 8pm “check your local listings”. I wondered WTF? Just realized why after watching the end of the news - news was copyrighted by their new owners “Allen Media Group”. I’m guessing that Grey now officially owns WNEM TV5.

How long before we see some changes to the on air news product on either station? Anyone going to be shit canned?
While Allen Media has taken over WJRT, the Meredith/WNEM sale to Gray is still awaiting FCC approval.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:32 am

The following article is a little old, but it lays out the thought process behind ABC 12’s new owner Byron Allen.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... pk#pagetop

Congrats to WJRT. It sounds like Byron isn’t afraid to invest.

Anyone willing to trade so we can get rid of our black “owner in name only” Armstrong Williams?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:36 am

I'm sure Armstrong is very happy to have another black owner in Flint since I have read some of his articles on B&C it has been a while since he has posted an article on B&C largely on mergers the failed Sinclair & Tribune merger then on Nexstar & Tribune merger.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic