Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Sinclair Blackout Looms

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Another Sinclair Blackout Looms

Post by sinklair » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 pm

Because blacking out all the former Fox Sports Nets didn’t irritate enough viewers, the Sinclair corporate Death Star is preparing to pull of its local stations off Dish Network.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/dish-netwo ... 234811465/

While I believe content producers like 25-66 deserve to be reimbursed for the local programming we provide, these idiotic pissing matches by billionaires only serve to piss off viewers and result in higher bills.

Realist

Re: Another Sinclair Blackout Looms

Post by Realist » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:59 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 pm
Because blacking out all the former Fox Sports Nets didn’t irritate enough viewers, the Sinclair corporate Death Star is preparing to pull of its local stations off Dish Network.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/dish-netwo ... 234811465/

While I believe content producers like 25-66 deserve to be reimbursed for the local programming we provide, these idiotic pissing matches by billionaires only serve to piss off viewers and result in higher bills.
So will this be solved in 6-9 months after Dish Network files a complaint with the FCC (like DirecTV did) and Sinclair is found to not be bargaining in good faith?

Yes, I realize it was NBC25 and “Howard Shirk Broadcasting”, but it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that’s a sham company under the control of Sinclair

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 am

These blackouts are so ridiculous, no matter the company. Motivates more people to cut the cord.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:33 pm

Then there are those of us who just read the local newspaper and never bother with the tripe that is offered on local television news. Seriously, who gives a shit?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:06 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:33 pm
Then there are those of us who just read the local newspaper
I do, and I subscribe, in hopes of the days when MLive's local edition has a larger staff than my old high school newspaper.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:17 am

TC: since this blackout will include the loss of all programming, news and non-news alike, I have a feeling lots of people will care. Especially those who subscribed to Dish with the expectation that they would be getting all their local stations. Now, 25-66-46 will either be blacked out come August 16 or if they come to a retrans agreement, the increased costs will be passed onto viewers. It’s a lose-lose scenario for our viewers… all thanks to the greed of Dish AND Sinclair. Now, go back to reading your 4-paged local newspaper that includes more ads than actual news and now only comes out three times a week.

Regardless of what happens, the Sinclair corporate Death Star is playing with fire. The FCC has already found a pattern that Sinclair and its sidecar partners have not negotiated in good faith… resulting in millions of dollars in fines. The FCC will likely come to a similar conclusion here. Or Congress could step in and force Sinclair’s and Dish’s hands because of angry constituents fed up with losing their favorite local stations and having to pay more. This all could end blowing up in Sinclair’s face with a mandate to dissolve some of these sidecar deals which are clearly against FCC rules.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Then there are those of us who just read the local newspaper and never bother with the tripe that is offered on local television news. Seriously, who gives a shit?
Most of us don't also endlessly complain about our employers or our clients, if self-employed.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Most of us don't also endlessly complain about our employers or our clients, if self-employed.
You apparently must have a decent employer who treats their employees like their incredibly valued and with respect and dignity (like my wife’s employer).

You apparently don’t work for the type of employer that both Sinklair and I do (and I’m not in broadcasting) - treats employees, at best, so+so and if you dropped dead, would post your position before your body is cold; ignores problems and issues in the workplace by telling people to be positive instead 🙄🙄🙄: pushes and pushes people so hard that they want to quit in 5 years or less; makes people hate upper management and not want to recommend that people come work there; retaliates against employees who speak up

Not all work places are Nirvana, Matt

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:23 pm

Sinclair announces a new head of Distribution and Network Relations

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... -Relations

That seems to be the ultimate in hypocrisy. They needed a head of distribution and network relations BEFORE threatening to pull the plug on Dish Network.

I’m glad Will Bell had a chance to learn from Barry Faber — the same corporate Death Star lawyer who oversaw the failed takeover of Tribune… resulting in the FCC’s largest fine ever. Now, what could possibly go wrong???

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:00 pm

More games from Sinclair and Dish…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/202 ... 158020002/

If either side was serious, this would have been resolved already.

It is interesting that Gibber was quoted that he is negotiating in “good faith” — the same legal mumbo jumbo that was used by the FCC to fine Sinclair in the past.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Sinclair top managements statement is completely horse 💩💩💩. They played this same game with DirecTV a couple of years ago and I lost Sinclair’s NBC25 for over 6 months. Only good thing that came out of it was that they were fined millions by the FCC for not bargaining in good faith, thus screwing subscribers like me out of their programming

notebookandapen

Post by notebookandapen » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:14 pm

So pissed I can’t watch the Tigers on YouTube TV. When will this madness end? I know there are 2 sides to this but I blame Sinclair.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am

Surprise, surprise… Sinclair and Dish — after pissing off viewers for months now — have reached an agreement.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dish-sincl ... 234874259/

All this for what?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:01 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am
Surprise, surprise… Sinclair and Dish — after pissing off viewers for months now — have reached an agreement.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dish-sincl ... 234874259/

All this for what?
At least Sinclair never blacked out their stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic