Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Severe weather coverage today

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Severe weather coverage today

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Who performed well? Who struck out?

As I'm typing this, Swartz Creek, Mundy Twp and Grand Blanc are under a tornado warning.

Luke

Re: Severe weather coverage today

Post by Luke » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm

All three stations have the chiefs on. I’ve been mainly watching 25/66 because Ahmad is the best met in the market IMO. I’ve been impressed with Leslie and Ron too. They have been going non stop for hours.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Tv 5's Brian Bachman and Matthieu Mondro had the best coverage. ABC 12 was a technical mess as always. Let's cut to JR just standing there while Kevin is talking, but his mic is not on. These guys are OK phoning it in normally, but when you have to jump in during warnings and watches, they struggle.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 pm

TV5 has had a strong showing with severe weather this season. Bryan, Chris, and Mathieu have done well.

Not sure on the others but sounds like Ahmad has done a good job as chief.

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:35 am

Luke wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm
All three stations have the chiefs on. I’ve been mainly watching 25/66 because Ahmad is the best met in the market IMO. I’ve been impressed with Leslie and Ron too. They have been going non stop for hours.
Believe they were the first to call the tornado touchdown in SW Genesee County.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Luke wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm
I agree. I'm not sure when they first went on the air, I was opening the app just as I received the TOR on my phone. I could tell they'd been for a while already.

Ahmad has really come into his own in the past few years.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm

And the former GM/account in chief/egomaniac and regional News Director Lame Michaelsen didn’t want to promote Ahmad to Chief Meteorologist when Jamie Kagol’s contract wasn’t renewed. Idiots…

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm
And the former GM/account in chief/egomaniac and regional News Director Lame Michaelsen didn’t want to promote Ahmad to Chief Meteorologist when Jamie Kagol’s contract wasn’t renewed. Idiots…
Only because they didn't want to give him a raise.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:54 am

Organman: sooo true.

They say the number one reason for viewers to turn into a newscast is weather. We have Ahmad who has been with us for more than 8 years… who is willing to do anything the In Over Her Head News Director asks of him… who comes in any time of the day, night or weekend to cover severe weather… and past and current “management” treats him incredibly poorly.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:54 am
Organman: sooo true.

They say the number one reason for viewers to turn into a newscast is weather. We have Ahmad who has been with us for more than 8 years… who is willing to do anything the In Over Her Head News Director asks of him… who comes in any time of the day, night or weekend to cover severe weather… and past and current “management” treats him incredibly poorly.
I think a lot of it has to do with his wanting to teach. That is a lot of what keeps people interested is the presentation, and Ahmad doesn't just present, he teaches. The feedback he receives from views is probably a big part why he stays.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:25 am

Unlike other meteorologists who try to scare the hell out of viewers during severe weather broadcasts, Ahmad has a calm demeanor that sets himself apart. I think that’s why viewers appreciate him. Organman: you’re exactly right about Ahmad using his time to teach viewers about the weather, empowering them to take action to protect themselves and their families.

Ahmad is “on” all day and night. He interacts with viewers. He helps out in the newsroom. He’s just a good dude.

What he won’t do is cave into consultant driven gimmicks. And I think that’s hurt him when it’s come to getting the overdue promotion to Chief Met, deserved pay raises, and respect. Instead of appreciating what we have in Ahmad, management finds excuses to not do the right thing.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm

Good for him on not caving though. I think that to a degree it can degrade oneself overtime, depending on what those gimmicks are. Most are just downright stupid. I'm glad Ahmad doesn't cave or stoop to that nonsense

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic