Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Custer Hair Salon

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Custer Hair Salon

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am

How much you wanna bet that WNEM finds a way to run this story... despite the obvious conflict of interest and journalistic breach of ethics it would cause?

https://flintbeat.com/flints-refinery-h ... 0PYK4OcPng

I’m sure Custer is proud of the accomplishment... and his ego is about to get even more out of control!

Deleted User 15331

Re: Custer Hair Salon

Post by Deleted User 15331 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:29 am

What conflict of interest?
There is no conflict of interest.

Do you ever have anything good to say about anything or anyone?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Midland: I have lots of great things to say about your mama.

The fact is when people can’t defend their actions, they like to blame others. Kinda like you’re doing. Kinda like what Sinclair likes to do. If you want to defend Custer’s lack of ethics, go for it. If you’d like to defend how Sinclair runs its stations snd people into the ground, go for it. But I’m not playing that game.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 am

Once Gray takes over I hope Custer can't pimp out his pals business anymore like Meredith was ok with.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:57 am

MasterB wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 am
Once Gray takes over I hope Custer can't pimp out his pals business anymore like Meredith was ok with.
Then what would this board obsess over?
sinklair wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am
I’m sure Custer is proud of the accomplishment... and his ego is about to get even more out of control!
Someone would be proud of their significant other for being recognized something like this? On par with a war crime. :roll:

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:10 am

BTS: not a war crime… just bad ethics to use the public airwaves for a journalist to “report” on a family member where they clearly aren’t impartial. If WNEM doesn’t have rules for that, what stories of real significance are they not handling appropriately? Our reputation is determined by viewers. When they see this crap, why would they ever believe us on the big stories? Custer is an example of the problem. But those decisions to allow this crap on the air falls squarely on bad GMs and News Directors more interested in chasing ratings and social media likes than actual hard hitting journalism. So if you like the story of Custer surprising his mother, or reporting on his husband’s hair salon that he co-owns and has a financial stake in, or when he takes off during sweeps to attend a Cher concert, or when he promotes designer socks, etc. then people on the Buzzboard shouldn’t complain about the lack of real news. I think Custer is as big of diva as Ive ever met in this business and clearly doesn’t have any professional standards and needs to go.

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:46 am

I saw that story. David did not hide the fact that he was reporting about his mother, who actually was being honored.
And when has he promoted his salon on WNEM time? Quit being a whiny bitch.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:44 pm

It’s not like his mom was honored because her son works at 5. If that was the case or it took away from a breaking news story I would see the conflict.

All employees at 5 are able to take time off during sweeps so David didn’t get a special privilege. Anchors, weather, reporters, producers, you name it.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am

Cathouse: I didn’t say that Custer didn’t disclose the conflict of interest. I said he and the station shouldn’t have reported on it in the first place due to the conflict.

The salon issue has been covered extensively on the Buzzboard. You can see the discussion on previous posts.

Whiny bitch? Why the name calling? If you don’t like the perspective, then lay out your reasoning about why this lack of even basic journalistic ethics is acceptable. Maybe you’re a little too close to this issue to be impartial?

BTS: with your reasoning, can I assume that my mom’s retirement, or my nephew’s confirmation, or my sister’s graduation, or the 50th birthday party for creepy neighbor down the street will get the same coverage? The answer is no. Custer didn’t report on it because it was newsworthy. He covered it because he blew a hissy fit with the former News Director. His ego is out of control.

As for time off during sweeps, the rule was NO ONE could take off time during sweeps. It’s not like Custer’s colleagues don’t have lives and would like the same consideration. (Reread my comment about his out of control ego.)

But it’s good to see my TV5 buddies back on the Buzzboard!

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:28 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am

. He covered it because he blew a hissy fit with the former News Director. His ego is out of control.

As for time off during sweeps, the rule was NO ONE could take off time during sweeps. It’s not like Custer’s colleagues don’t have lives and would like the same consideration. (Reread my comment about his out of control ego.)

But it’s good to see my TV5 buddies back on the Buzzboard!
None of this is even remotely true. Just like the story about David demanding to be first in a commercial that was put together by a Meredith hub. The employees that put that on the air are in Phoenix.

And all employees are allowed off during sweeps, regardless of whatever story you want to believe in your head.

JRBlitz

Post by JRBlitz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 pm

It is quite interesting to see someone "behind the scenes" defend David Custer. Most would tell you that they would prefer to have Katie O' Mara back.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm

That would be an odd thing to say by “most”. How many in the building even know who that is?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Add me to “most”, please and thank you. I’ll take Katie and Terry over the current giggle-fest at the Rusty Nickel.

Here’s a scenario… Gray transfers Katie’s husband, Terry Camp (or insert any other ABC 12’er name here) and when the deal closes with Meredith they switch stations, reuniting with new WNEM News Director Jayne Hodak.

Bringing back Katie and Terry would definitely add ratings and credibility.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:43 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:44 pm
Add me to “most”, please and thank you. I’ll take Katie and Terry over the current giggle-fest at the Rusty Nickel.

Here’s a scenario… Gray transfers Katie’s husband, Terry Camp (or insert any other ABC 12’er name here) and when the deal closes with Meredith they switch stations, reuniting with new WNEM News Director Jayne Hodak.

Bringing back Katie and Terry would definitely add ratings and credibility.
If that Gray did transfers of talent to 5 from 12, I might actually start watching them again

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 pm

I hate to mention this, but I would choose Katie O'Mara. Gray likes their TV12 employees. Besides, who at 5 would you really keep?

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic