Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNEM News Director flees before Gray takeover

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

WNEM News Director flees before Gray takeover

Post by sinklair » Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 pm

Would it be considered the first rat to jump ship as 5 News Director Karin Movesian is leaving Saginaw for Kansas City...

https://files.constantcontact.com/143c1 ... bda863.pdf

Let’s see if Gray moves Denise Killian up I-75 when they take over WNEM.

Realist

Re: WNEM News Director flees before Gray takeover

Post by Realist » Mon May 17, 2021 12:17 am

Is Denise the person that fired Ryan Slocum and a reporter named Amy (last name escapes me right now) shortly after Gray took over?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 am

I think that was Jayne Hodak.

I think the reporter was Any Hybels.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/amy-hybels-042a636

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 am
I think that was Jayne Hodak.

I think the reporter was Any Hybels.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/amy-hybels-042a636
It was Amy Hybels…

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 17, 2021 10:20 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Would it be considered the first rat to jump ship as 5 News Director Karin Movesian is leaving Saginaw for Kansas City...

https://files.constantcontact.com/143c1 ... bda863.pdf

Let’s see if Gray moves Denise Killian up I-75 when they take over WNEM.
Kansas City is a major upgrade over Saginaw. This headline is misleading.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue May 18, 2021 6:15 am

Kansas City is a bigger TV market. It ranks 32 compared to Flint-Saginaw’s 77.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/niels ... ings-2021/

But it’s no “major” upgrade. Let’s not pretend that she is running the newsroom in New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. It’s not even that Meredith is a great company to work
for. Hell, it won’t even be a company in the near future.

The only reason Karin is leaving is she sees the writing on the bathroom wall. Gray will come in and put its own people in place.

It’s not like 5 has a superior news product. It doesn’t have superior talent. It doesn’t have a great look or graphics. It has geography and a 65+ aging viewership teed up by CBS’s Tiffany Network programming.

So congratulate Karin if you feel the need to... but let’s not make it out to be like her lack of vision or success in Saginaw has opened up a wide range of new employment opportunities. The fact is no one wants to work for a company that is up for sale, so Meredith is “promoting” Karin within.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue May 18, 2021 9:00 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:15 am

It’s not like 5 has a superior news product. It doesn’t have superior talent. It doesn’t have a great look or graphics. It has geography and a 65+ aging viewership teed up by CBS’s Tiffany Network programming.
In what little I’ve seen of TV5’s news lately, the only talent that is decent anchoring are Meg McLeod, Frank Turner and Bryan Bachman. Sports there barely gets a mention and is not only an after thought but a joke. I only know two of their meteorologists as they seem to have a continual revolving door in their weather department, along with their reporters.

Grey needs to do a major overhaul and upgrade in talent there. They further need to stop hiring barely qualified people from the UP (I still can’t believe they hired John Grossman from Marquette 😳😳😳) or Alpena.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 pm

And wouldn't Gray want their people in KC as well why make that move. Or does Karin think that Gray isn't going to let her go in KC? Congrats Karin moving on up.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

cathouse1974

Post by cathouse1974 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 am

Doesn't it seem odd to anyone here that she is leaving in the middle of sweeps?

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm

TV 5 has superior talent compared to public access channel 12. Dawn Jones has zero enthusiasm. Kevin Goff has no energy. JR acts pompous as ever. Angie and Matt working weekends after all these years. ABC 12 is where your so called career goes to die.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri May 21, 2021 1:40 am

MasterB wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 pm
And wouldn't Gray want their people in KC as well why make that move. Or does Karin think that Gray isn't going to let her go in KC? Congrats Karin moving on up.
I don't care as long as she's moving on OUT.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 21, 2021 7:40 am

I find it amazing that the worse you are as a human being, the more management opportunities you seem to get. Is there some TV management course all these GMs and News Directors go thru to learn how to make life miserable for their employees? They must go through some sort of brainwashing to forget the low pay, high stress, bad working conditions that they also had to put up with when they broke into the business. Now that they’ve made it to the corner office, you’d think they would be more willing to treat employees with more empathy. Good riddance. One down, two more to go!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu May 27, 2021 11:40 pm

It appears WNEM has its new news director already. Rumor is former ABC12 news director Jane Hodak is moving up I-75 to the Rusty Nickel to take over the top news spot as Gray TV prepares to swap stations. That will be great news for TV5 since Hodak is a Gray veteran and knows WJRT's strengths and weaknesses.

It also means that Pete Veto won't be making the trek north.

Haven't seen an official announcement yet, but it appears that it's a done deal.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri May 28, 2021 12:16 am

Will Jane fire David Custer I don't think he can get away with what current management has like pimping out hubby's business or friend's business either.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 28, 2021 6:16 am

From what I’ve seen and what current 12’ers say... WNEM will see lots of changes. Jane’s a no-nonsense journalist. All the crappy gimmicks will probably be reigned in. And the unprofessional giggle fest of Meg and David will come to an end. At least let’s hope so.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic