Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNEM up for sale?

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
jmeltonwx

WNEM up for sale?

Post by jmeltonwx » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:32 pm

According to TVNewsCheck, several sources are indicating that four Meredith stations are up for sale, including WNEM. Second-round bids are due the week of Jan. 18th.

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/busine ... ion-sales/

MasterB

Re: WNEM up for sale?

Post by MasterB » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:49 am

Sinkclair can buy WNEM if he wants it LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if Meredith sold the whole TV station group I could see Mission Nexstar sidecar buying Meredith with Nexstar house money rumors are that Nexstar wants to buy a TV station in the ATL WGCL CBS46 what was once TBS Superstation WTBS as well, as I don't see any other TV station owners selling in the ATL kinda surprised that CBS never wanted an O&O in the ATL I think they own The CW in the ATL?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 am

Would not surprise me if Scripps buys it. It then could run ION and the Katz subchannels.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 am

I agree that Scripps and Nexstar are the two most likely options.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 pm

Scripps would make a lot of sense. They already own stations in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Lansing. Saginaw would be a good add for its statewide coverage. Plus WBEM is tops in ratings, so they could get a decent return on its purchase.

If I were David Custer, I’d be freshening up my resume. There’s no way Scripps would keep him around.

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:55 am

"Please, Mr. Custer,...

You have gotta go!"

Forward HOE! No.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:40 am

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... -sale-sign

TV5’s owner is making preliminary moves to put up the “for sale” sign.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:04 pm

I hope Dave Custer will be out at WNEM if the new owners don't want him pimping out the business that his hubby owns. I don't get why Meredith is ok with that. Not surprised that Meredith wants to sell they have been in limbo since the failed Media General merger I don't see Soo Kim buying Meredith because he backed out for the Nexstar merger. I think Byron Allen is going to buy Meredith just my opinion I can't see Gray since they just bought the Quincy TV stations.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm

What the hell is wrong with WNEM TV 5 News At 6?? I guess that Meg McCloud is having a bad night!! We'll be back in just a moment.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 pm

As much as I think 25-66 has the market’s worst management, I feel 5 is the least professional of all the stations. Why they are #1 in ratings is beyond me. Why 5 puts up with the David and Meg show is beyond me. Frank Turner is so far a better than everyone else at 5.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:32 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 pm
As much as I think 25-66 has the market’s worst management, I feel 5 is the least professional of all the stations. Why they are #1 in ratings is beyond me. Why 5 puts up with the David and Meg show is beyond me. Frank Turner is so far a better than everyone else at 5.
I could not possibly agree more. The only reason I can think of is that watching 5 is a habit handed down through generations, from when 5 was a clear and deserving number one for so many years. I wonder sometimes what will become of local news once the newest crop of adults who don't watch at all are the ones having children and thusly instilling their habits upon them. OR, is technology moving so fast that each subsequent generation won't really care what their parents did and think of whatever it was as archaic? Just something to ponder. My speculation is that many of these habits are going to die with the baby boomers and Generation X. As an example, if you were to ask every 18 year old American what their favorite radio station is, I doubt many of them would even have an answer. But, they all have a subscription to Spotify.

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:06 pm

5 is #1 for a few reasons. 12's former owners made the colossal mistake of setting up their antenna frequency to a VHF signal. You have to point your antenna to 12's line of sight to reach the ABC affiliate's signal. That's too much work for an elderly individual. 5 and 25 went to the UHF frequency. 25 has a blowtorch of a signal, but their news product is suffering. Outside of the local content, the propaganda pieces are not helping them. Some families with Nielsen diaries flat out refused to put 25 or 66 down for news when they were running those Epshteyn must run items during their reboot. By default, the whiny David Custer becomes the market's #1 anchor because there is no other option. In a few years, that will change when CW46 most likely becomes the lighthouse for the Flint market for ATSC 3.0, and the major stations will all be found on the same frequency.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

JRBlitz

Post by JRBlitz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Ian Rubin left WNEM because he thought the "Coverage You Could Count On" could never compete after WEYI revamped their news product. Boy, was he wrong!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Different News Director at the time. When Schramm was pushed out, Neille was put in charge and it hasn’t been the same. She is lost and has little respect from the news team. Until there’s a change at the top, 25-66 will be a ratings bottom feeder.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 pm

The difference between the Detroit and Flint DMA’s are amazing to me. In the Detroit one I literally have a nearly 50 channel basic cable system off my antennas, versus up there OTA is nearly useless. Most of the problem is due to Sinclair. Detroit DMA is Sinclair free, thank God.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic