Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The New K107.3 Flint's Classic Hits

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The New K107.3 Flint's Classic Hits

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 pm

However, my assertion still stands about the 54 dBu. It really doesn't reach the large majority of Detroit Metro. And the 45 dBu assertion stands. There are over 2,100,000 persons in Oakland and Macomb County according to 2019 estimates. Only a handful of listeners in Oakland County would be able to complain today, none in Macomb.
True, but so what? The fact of the matter remains a highly populated area in Wayne County (not necessarily by Wayne County standards but certainly by general U.S. population standards) within WIOT's protected contour received destructive interference from Smooth Jazz 104.7.

The Martz business plan was so horribly executed on so many different levels.
Look, if you're concerned about interference, it shouldn't be sacred cow formats only that are protected.
I completely agree with that. However, I don't think interference that affects a full power station's 40 dBu or 44 dBu, for example, should be actionaable.

Interference that affects their 54 dBu or even 50 dBu should *definitely* be actionable, unless we're talking about a scenario where the dBu is calculated on the basis of phony plots that fail to consider major terrain obstructions (such as mountains).

Sadly, the FCC doesn't give a rat's ass about complaints directly filed by the general public when it comes to such matters. Only licensed engineers and radio station management can file such complaints.
I knew that. Just wanted to know if you noticed that fccdata.org has a lot of errors and limitations, like not displaying DAs properly, and still no Canadian stations in a lot of searches.
So you intentionally lied? How nice.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 pm

Why so harsh?

CK-722 might have more radio knowledge than the rest of us combined!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:39 pm

“Never explain. Your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not believe you anyway.”
Last edited by CK-722 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:22 am

Makes complete sense - I wasn't jumping to conclusions on your "I know" statement, I assumed it that you figured it out at some point before MW posted.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:28 am

Let's see - he said "I knew that" and then said "Just wanted to know if you noticed that fccdata.org has a lot of errors and limitations..." as if to suggest he was trying to do a "gotcha" on me.

If that indeed wasn't the case and I misinterpreted the intent, please accept my apologies.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 am

Actually, I figured it out before I posted. I suspected it was the 60 dBu, but I was having a hard time matching up maps without Peter's software available.

Actually, I wanted to see if ANYONE noticed. I want to warn some of you, I have contacted the FCC recently on applications that were incomplete. Not only were they incomplete, they completely skated on certain regulations, and the FCC dismissed them. I also know of certain consultants who play both sides against the middle on certain regulations.

You either must have asked Denny Moon, or you have software yourself. If so, I am curious, as I would like to find reasonably priced software (along with AM and FM field strength meters), to more accurately repudiate people like MW. Radiosoft now wants thousands of dollars to LEASE their software. I could easily afford to do so, but unless I have clients who actually pay, I feel it is unwise.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:53 am

I must have asked Denny Moon regarding what topic?

I heard the interference with my own ears on countless occasions. I read the exhibits to the Smooth Jazz 104.7 FCC applications myself, most notably the signal strength & pattern exhibits. Barring a physiological miracle, it was plain as day (at least to me) that the RF emanating from the Smooth Jazz 104.7 antenna exceeded the licensed pattern in the azimuths toward WIOT and toward the areas where WIOT delivered a reliable signal - such as the I-94 & I-275 area.

It was also plain as day to me that WIOT became unlistenable in places in Wayne County where reception was previously so strong that RDS could be decoded and the car radio's seek mode would usually land on the station.

No advanced engineering degree is necessary to recognize those basic things. :)

Highly directional patterns *are* possible - the 104.7 antenna just didn't live up to the FCC approved specs.

93.5, which broadcasts from Eight Mile Rd, pretty much performs in accordance with its licensed pattern. Reception is good where it should be good and it is weak where it should be weak.

101.5 definitely does not, at least as of a year ago when I last checked. While the null toward downtown Detroit is true to pattern, reception in places such as Livonia near Plymouth Rd and Middlebelt is far stronger than it should be. One of these days, I'll have to check reception in Dearborn.

It is curious how the FM Translator app for 104.7 ever became a "thing." Why not apply for 92.7 to begin with?

Also loved Martz's decision to put a ROCK format on 94.3 - what a fool. Many of the places where the rock audience lives were either too far away to receive a reliable signal from that translator or resided in places where 94.3 CKSY's mixes with or completely overrides W232CA.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm

How did you know that it was wrong, and was the 60 dBu, MW? That is what I expected you to answer. You didn't deny it was Denny Moon. There are a number of "activist" engineers who try to stand in the way of otherwise reasonable applications and authorizations. It's really funny then when the FCC changes the rules and makes their objections null and void. There are also "activist" owners who stand in the way of anything that would compete with their stations. It's also funny when they change the rules and all of a sudden it's OK because they have all the chess pieces to do what they objected to.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:49 pm

I never recall communicating with Denny Moon on this matter or any other.

If by your 60 dBu question you are referring to the pattern plot on fccdata.org (which was supposed to be the 54 dBu of WIOT's regularly licensed facilities), I cannot say with certainty it is the 60 dBu of WIOT's licensed facilities, but that plot comes pretty darn close at worst. The displayed contour is very close to what radio-locator.com plots as WIOT's 60 dBu contour.

It is possible that fccdata.org is showing the 54 dBu of the AUX facilities of WIOT.

I've noticed in recent weeks that radio-locator.com's plots of some directional patterns, which previously were shown quite accurately on their site, are now off by a mile and plotted as if they were omnidirectional. This is especially true of Canadian stations.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:55 pm

I have complained about the WDTK translator interfering with WRVF. The latter won’t take up the issue, even though they should. It’s clearly a mess along the Michigan Ave and Ecorse Road corridors.

I agree, not just legacy format FMs should be protected, they all should. I don’t listen to country, but I was still upset when that translator on 99.9 blocked out WKKO. Blocking the Canadian stations, while legal, isn’t good either.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic