Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Opinion disguised as news

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Opinion disguised as news

Post by sinklair » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 am

WEYI owner Armstrong Williams regularly writes an opinion piece on our website called "Armstrong Army Strong". (No one has ever explained to us who is Armstrong's army or why is it so strong...)

https://nbc25news.com/news/armstrong-army-strong

Now, I guess since Armstrong is the owner, he can do whatever the hell he wants to. However, 25-66's In Over Her Head News Director and the Shipped In From Out of Town New GM should not allow opinion/commentary/editorial pieces to be published in the "News" section, including segments like "America This Week with Eric Bolling" which continue to run discredited conspiracy theories that go unchecked and unchallenged by this sex starved Fox News flunkee.

These one-sided opinion articles need to be removed from the news tab of our website and a more direct disclaimer needs to be put at the top of each article like: "The following opinions of NBC 25 owner Armstrong Williams do not reflect the independent work of local journalists."

Will those changes be made? I doubt it. Apparently journalistic integrity wasn't taught in the Master's Program at Cracker Jack University in Boston.

But instead of micro-managing us, maybe Neille-Ann can take five minutes to read why the clear delineation between news and opinion is important:

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editi ... ifference/

The above commentary is strictly the opinion of everyone in the 25-66 newsroom...
Last edited by sinklair on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dudley

Re: Opinion disguised as news

Post by Dudley » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:24 pm

And your opinion that no one gives a rats ass about!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 am

Management still hounding the staff who is talking about 25-66 on the Buzzboard still?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm

MasterB: absolutely. It’s driving them crazy... primarily because they want to stop us from talking without really making any improvements. They “think” they know who we are, but they are wrong, and they can’t prove anything. Everything is being done off time, using non station equipment (sorry Mark and Chris), and contains no station insider information that is known by one person or a small group of people that they can start to pinpoint who is making the statements.

The Buzzboard has become a daily “must read” for station staff. Management occasionally posts under pseudonyms, but we know who they are. There’s a lot of people feeding us topics they think need to be addressed. So until the Shipped In from Out of Market new Sinclair GM either improves morale and working conditions and fires the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales and the HR Director/Party Planner, we’ll be here posting like we have for more than 12 months now.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 am
These one-sided opinion articles need to be removed from the news tab of our website and a more direct disclaimer needs to be put at the top of each article like: "The following opinions of NBC 25 owner Armstrong Williams do not reflect the independent work of local journalists."

Will those changes be made? I doubt it. Apparently journalistic integrity wasn't taught in the Master's Program at Cracker Jack University in Boston.
The disclaimer should precede everything the Sinclair mothership puts out, as its one-sided opinions weighed heavily on the right is affecting the work of local journalists who just want to report the news.

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:56 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:49 pm
sinklair wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm
MasterB: absolutely. It’s driving them crazy... primarily because they want to stop us from talking without really making any improvements. They “think” they know who we are, but they are wrong, and they can’t prove anything. Everything is being done off time, using non station equipment (sorry Mark and Chris), and contains no station insider information that is known by one person or a small group of people that they can start to pinpoint who is making the statements.

The Buzzboard has become a daily “must read” for station staff. Management occasionally posts under pseudonyms, but we know who they are. There’s a lot of people feeding us topics they think need to be addressed. So until the Shipped In from Out of Market new Sinclair GM either improves morale and working conditions and fires the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales and the HR Director/Party Planner, we’ll be here posting like we have for more than 12 months now.
It’s not like there are hundreds or even dozens of people that work there.

If it’s true that you work there and you’re “posting only on off hours” it would be very easy to figure out who you are. Simply see when a post is made here, look around at the person or two who aren’t working during that time and then they know who it is.
For once in her life, Lovinlife101 has made a decent point on here. Although, it’s unnecessary since management is probably already aware of who the employees are that post on this board.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am

Herm: that could be. If they already know who I am, then I suggest 25-66’s management take one of the following paths of action.

1. Fire the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales, and the HR Director/Party Planner for years of well documented mismanagement and incompetence.

2. Fire me. But without real evidence (which they don’t have), firing me will result in yet another wrongful termination lawsuit. And since they are already facing the prospect of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars due to the discrimination against favorite personal trainer/ex-TV anchor Sadie Hughes, I doubt the new Shipped In from Out of State New Sinclair GM has the stomach for the bad publicity or the questions she’ll get from the corporate Death Star about why she didn’t address the issues head on to begin with.

Or 3. Start doing their damned jobs and improving the quality of newscasts and morale on Pierson Road.

If they don’t want to do either of the three options above, there always is door #4... to keep having disgruntled employees post 25-66’s dirty, dirty laundry on the Buzzboard. The ball is in your court Jennifer.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:56 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am
Herm: that could be. If they already know who I am, then I suggest 25-66’s management take one of the following paths of action.

1. Fire the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales, and the HR Director/Party Planner for years of well documented mismanagement and incompetence.

2. Fire me. But without real evidence (which they don’t have), firing me will result in yet another wrongful termination lawsuit. And since they are already facing the prospect of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars due to the discrimination against favorite personal trainer/ex-TV anchor Sadie Hughes, I doubt the new Shipped In from Out of State New Sinclair GM has the stomach for the bad publicity or the questions she’ll get from the corporate Death Star about why she didn’t address the issues head on to begin with.

Or 3. Start doing their damned jobs and improving the quality of newscasts and morale on Pierson Road.

If they don’t want to do either of the three options above, there always is door #4... to keep having disgruntled employees post 25-66’s dirty, dirty laundry on the Buzzboard. The ball is in your court Jennifer.
They’ll probably choose door number 5. Completely ignore you and continue to run their business the way they want.
Posting on buzzboard has produced zero results when trying to enact change at 25. Whether the owners are Barrington or Sinclair or whoever, they do not care what is posted in this forum. The people in the building may take note of it, but the people who actually make the decisions don’t give a shit. They’re too busy and rich to notice.
I would suggest you openly voice your opinions to the powers that be and let the chips fall where they may. We both know how much good that will do but at least you’ll know you tried.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Correct Herm, and the union didn't help near the end. The Negotiators only wanted to get a contract to get so they would get their bonus and the company only give what they wanted. You can't change anyone or anything that doesn't want to change! Hope you are doing well! We worked together!

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Dudley wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Correct Herm, and the union didn't help near the end. The Negotiators only wanted to get a contract to get so they would get their bonus and the company only give what they wanted. You can't change anyone or anything that doesn't want to change! Hope you are doing well! We worked together!
The UAW always treated us like second class citizens, so I’m not surprised.
Happy Thanksgiving “Dudley”!
Hope you’re doing well too.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

If the station management is reading this.

SINCLAIR SUCKS.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am

Or 4. Convert WBSF to an ATSC3.0 host so it can air other DMA main .1 signals. Ones that do a better job with local news and related programming.
This is happening on 12/7 in Detroit with WMYD becoming the ATSC 3.0 “host” for our DMA. Scripps owns WMYD and is a much better run company. Evidence of that is their recent purchase of ION Media.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Ypsi: any company is automatically better than Sinclair.

I doubt Sinclair will change its approach to WBSF CW 46. Sinclair believes there will be higher value for the spectrum when NextGen TV launches. Plus for some unknown reason, Flint’s CW station outperforms nearly every other mid-sized market in ratings and revenue.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:17 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:13 pm
Ypsi: any company is automatically better than Sinclair.

I doubt Sinclair will change its approach to WBSF CW 46. Sinclair believes there will be higher value for the spectrum when NextGen TV launches. Plus for some unknown reason, Flint’s CW station outperforms nearly every other mid-sized market in ratings and revenue.
The new transmitter gives it a wider audience. 600kW at 1200ft up makes it easier to receive, even 50 miles away.
Too bad it’s a Sinclair station. Scripps or Gray would make better use of RF23 than they do.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm

I can imagine it would be better than 19kw @ 1000 ft! You could run that TX out of your garage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic