Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coronavirus hypocrisy

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Coronavirus hypocrisy

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 am

From Sinclair Broadcasting... the same group that aired “news stories” from our Washington DC team that claimed coronavirus was being overblown and unfairly hurting business and personal interests. Now comes word that the company is reversing local station plans from allowing some employees to return to work.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/ ... the-brakes

The hypocrisy continues... Parrot the Trump line that coronavirus isn’t a problem, then tell your workers it’s too dangerous to return to work.

Matt

Re: Coronavirus hypocrisy

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

sinklair wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 am
From Sinclair Broadcasting... the same group that aired “news stories” from our Washington DC team that claimed coronavirus was being overblown and unfairly hurting business and personal interests. Now comes word that the company is reversing local station plans from allowing some employees to return to work.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/ ... the-brakes

The hypocrisy continues... Parrot the Trump line that coronavirus isn’t a problem, then tell your workers it’s too dangerous to return to work.
If you hate your company so much, why do you continue working there?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am

Matt: It’s a great question. Here’s another one: why should I leave? Why isn’t it the station’s responsibility to improve working conditions for its staff.

#2: If you think I’m just one disgruntled employee, you’re missing the big picture. There is a large portion of the station that is frustrated with station management and corporate mandates. They don’t care about local journalism. SBG only cares about cost cutting and forwarding its political agenda. We get paid the least in the market. We have the least number of staff with the largest number of weekday newscasts. I believe employers should listen to their employees when it comes to creating “the employer of choice”. However whenever anyone tries to address these issues to the in over her head News Director, the HR Director/Party Planner, the former GM/egomaniac/accountant in chief, you are labeled as a problem employee and are retaliated against.

#3: I have a contract with the station that doesn’t just allow me to leave as you assert. Sinclair has gone after employees for tens of thousands of dollars when they tried breaking their contracts. The company provides a financial disincentive to prevent unhappy employees from leaving.

#4: SBG/25-66 does nothing (other than grilled cheese sandwich days) to improve morale or to raise the quality of the work we do. It’s the mantra of do more with less and do it with one hand tied behind your back. Is there any wonder why turnover is so high? We don’t keep good people... in fact they’re run out the door.

#5: is it any wonder why ratings don’t improve at 25-66? Their grand idea was the idiotic “Mid-Michigan NOW!” Rebranding championed by Conklin, Giffune, Salamon, Krapohol (AKA Lame Michaelsen’s yes men). No focus on improving journalism, no increase in promotion, no outreach strategy... nothing. It’s one of the worst rebranding campaigns I’ve ever witnessed run by one of the worst management teams. I’d say shut the whole station down if it weren’t for the line workers who would ultimately lose their jobs and livelihoods for decisions we’re not included in.

I hope this helps others understand why I/we post negative comments about 25-66/Sinclair. When my contract is up, I will go to a much better run station and company. Until then, I’m going to use my voice to speak out about the bad decisions and hypocrisy here.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm

No they don’t. The station can’t fire me just because I’m a woman... or an African American... or gay... or disabled... or a veteran... or for a whole host of reasons. They can’t single handily fire me for exercising my constitutionally protected freedom of speech. Of course they could try, but it would be a very expensive lawsuit. They could fire me if I didn’t do my job... but that’s not the case. Of course the station’s simple solution (at least for most good managers) would be to improve the working conditions and to care about their employees. Because that’s not the culture at 25-66, those grievances aren’t likely to be promoted up to the mothership... since that’s seen as a lack of institutional control that would result in ineffective station management getting called out.

Mid-Michigan NOW means nothing. If you don’t know where to tune in to watch the news what good does it do? The boneheads haven’t even changed the website URL. It bounces back to nbc25news.com.

Employers are legally obligated to provide a workplace free from harassment, discrimination, retaliation, etc. so Lovin’ you’re wrong about employer’s responsibilities.

Never said I was forced to sign a contract. I’m living up to every one of my contractual commitments. It would be enlightening if you could point out where in my contract that I’ve violated any clause. You can’t because you claim you’ve never worked at 25-66 or in broadcasting (which may not be a truthful statement in your part).

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Lovin: you’re wrong. Go take an employment law class.

If you’d like to buy out my contract to stop hearing my observations/grievances of SBG/25-66, send a check payable to “Cash” for $438,712.90 to PO Box 2566, Flint MI.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

If you’d like to buy out my contract to stop hearing my observations/grievances of SBG/25-66, send a check payable to “Cash” for $438,712.90 to PO Box 2566, Flint MI.
So about 16 years and 9 months left on the ol' contract?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Nope... but that’s my price. You can take it or sit quietly in the back of the newsroom.

Try to stay on topic: please keep comments to the mixed messages broadcasters like Sinclair give when on one hand trying to discredit the science behind controlling the spread of coronavirus... while at the same time telling its employees that it’s not safe for them to return to work.

Hypocrites! (Both SBG/25-66 and posters like Lovin and R who instead of addressing the topic choose to personally attack posters.)

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:54 pm

I'm genuinely curious as to why they would want a disgruntled employee to stay...

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

At that price, why not buy one of the stations outright?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Sweet. Share some of that prostitution money with the rest of us, Lovin!

Matt: Sinclair’s stance is if they let one employee break a contract, you have to let everyone break their contract. So they take the stance that they won’t release anyone early. So your only options as an employee is to break the contract resulting in thousands of dollars in “liquidated damages” or stay and put up with the bad working conditions. I choose not to pay the money whores at Sinclair a single dime.

As Lovin says: 100% OWN!!!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Trying to form a union Sinklair for 25/66? And do you email Scott Jones from FTVLive about Sinclair and how much you dislike them move across the street to Gray or Meredith when the contract is up?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Master: a union would help equal the playing field to address some of the issues, but Sinclair will never let that happen. Sinclair has been pretty good at breaking unions and/or preventing them from getting a foothold. Local managers even have yearly mandated training on how to dissuade union activity.

Scott Jones has lots of sources. His publishing of memos, etc. is why I can comment about Sinclair’s policies since I’d no longer be commenting on “private” material. Because there’s a lot more out there that I can’t disclose without violating my contract.

And I won’t be crossing the street to 5 or 12. Our contracts have a no compete clause with a forced arbitration clause in Maryland, which has upheld similar no competes.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 am

Lovin: you’re a troll. Look it up. And off topic again.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Good use of rolling emojis. You’re about as creative (and predictable as a prepubescent teen)... and still off topic. 101% OWN!!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Oh darling, you’re not as witty as you think you are. If you have nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic