Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DNR/EGLE: Protecting mussels is more important than safeguarding human life & property

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

DNR/EGLE: Protecting mussels is more important than safeguarding human life & property

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

I would say un-fucking-believable, but given the fact the incompetence here is from State of Michigan regulators, I'm not surprised!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 228559002/

The owner wanted to draw down the water held behind the dam due to structural integrity concerns (which were voiced by federal regulators).

The State of Michigan's response? Don't do it! You're going to kill the mussels in the lake!

I think legislative hearings regarding DNR/EGLE's actions is 100% warranted.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Re: DNR/EGLE: Protecting mussels is more important than safeguarding human life & property

Post by bmw » Wed May 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for the link. That article is in STARK contrast to the piece run nationally by ABC News:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mic ... g-70799608

ABC News doesn't place any blame whatsoever on the state and instead places it squarely on Boyce.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: DNR/EGLE: Protecting mussels is more important than safeguarding human life & property

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am

While Boyce certainly deserves blame for letting the dam deteriorate in the first place, the state also deserves blame for standing in the way of implementation of mitigatory measures.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

I bet if you do some research the state was merely following federal guidelines. The state rarely gets involved in Environmental Protection they are usually upholding Federal directives.

Boyce ignored the problem for 21 years and then ran. I hope the entire executive board gets raped in prison.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am

This the is problem when you let activist lawyers and environmental wackos run state government.

Not a lick of common sense and no mussels.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu May 21, 2020 10:20 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am
I bet if you do some research the state was merely following federal guidelines. The state rarely gets involved in Environmental Protection they are usually upholding Federal directives.

Boyce ignored the problem for 21 years and then ran. I hope the entire executive board gets raped in prison.
You need to go back read the article TCT. Your research comment is baloney. I pulled the federal docs.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 am

State government once again letting the people down of Michigan fix the damn dam so a whole town doesn't freaking flood what happen in Midland shouldn't have happen. I hope everyone sues DNR/EGLE wanting to protect the mussels and not the people of Midland and the other areas as well the owner of the dam as well. I thought the fed or the states were the owners of the dams I didn't know a private company can own it?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri May 22, 2020 2:06 am

It seems that in many ways, humans have become secondary to other life on the planet. I know there are environmental problems that we need to address, but it seems to me that people should come before plankton.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 am

MasterB: you can bet there’s going to be lots of lawsuits. Tons of blame to go around.

I also find it amazing that these documents are readily available and no one reported on them before the dam failure.

There’s a desperate need for local investigative reporting, yet NONE of the Flint-Saginaw stations do it. ABC 12 and WNEM used to have a dedicated I-Team, but no more. Some good it does for residents to report the prior problems with these dams AFTER the dam failure wipes out your home.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic