Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dam failures

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
organman95

Re: Dam failures

Post by organman95 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:52 am

DAC wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 pm
AND, not one of those stupid fuckers at 5 know how to pronounce "Tittabawassee." C'mon, really? It is NOT Tib-ah-dah-wasee. But they say it that way. Every. Fucking. Time. I guess they better stick to one syllable words, like "Cher."
My grandfather used to say.. "stick with what you're good at." And 5 is really good at fucking things up.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 am

SaginawSid wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 am
Good Morning America led their broadcast this morning with coverage of the flooding. CNN did an extended piece too. 7 and 4, aren't they northern Michigan, like Traverse City area? Good for them, shame on TV 5, 12 and 25.
Yes, but 7&4 and 9&10 typically do overlap coverage into Midland, sometimes into Mt. Pleasant. Y'know, because nothing goes on north of Traverse City...

But anyway, hell, the BBC even aired it in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52735170

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm

DAC wrote:
AND, not one of those stupid fuckers at 5 know how to pronounce "Tittabawassee."to one syllable word C'mon, really? It is NOT Tib-ah-dah-wasee. But they say it that way. Every. Fucking. Time. I guess they better stick s, like "Cher."
During almost the first ten years of my life I lived in the Tri-Cities, and I learned how to say "Tittabawassee" from local TV and radio. I take it no one at 5 these days were born and raised in the Tris -- nor were there long after they got the job.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri May 22, 2020 2:20 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
DAC wrote:
AND, not one of those stupid fuckers at 5 know how to pronounce "Tittabawassee." C'mon, really? It is NOT Tib-ah-dah-wasee. But they say it that way. Every. Fucking. Time. I guess they better stick to one syllable words, like "Cher."
During almost the first ten years of my life I lived in the Tri-Cities, and I learned how to say "Tittabawassee" from local TV and radio. I take it no one at 5 these days were born and raised in the Tris -- nor were there long after they got the job.
And it gets worse. Most of them, particularly the weather underlings, have extreme trouble pronouncing a hard "T" if it's in the middle of a word. They can't say "mountain," but instead say "Moun-ehn." Same with "button" becoming "buh-ehn." Worst for the weather people is when they tell us the temperature in "Hoe-ehn Lake." They sound like 14 year olds. Shouldn't it be a minimum requirement for on-air personnel to at least know how to speak?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 am

DAC: you’re absolutely right. Stations used to have training materials for new journalists to acclimate them to a new market, which used to include pronunciations for unusual town names. Sadly, these days journalists are lucky to get a five minute tour of the station where they’re shown the bathroom and break room before being thrown on air. It’s bad management. It’s bad that reporters don’t take their responsibility to learn their communities more seriously. And it’s bad for the stations that lose all credibility that they can’t get the little details right.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 am

sinklair wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 am
DAC: you’re absolutely right. Stations used to have training materials for new journalists to acclimate them to a new market, which used to include pronunciations for unusual town names. Sadly, these days journalists are lucky to get a five minute tour of the station where they’re shown the bathroom and break room before being thrown on air. It’s bad management. It’s bad that reporters don’t take their responsibility to learn their communities more seriously. And it’s bad for the stations that lose all credibility that they can’t get the little details right.
Yes, I remember a few meteorologists in both Tri-Cities and Northern MI that had to "be trained" in the pronounciation of towns in MI. I remember Mark Watkins at 7&4 being told how to pronounce names like "Peshawbestown" and "Cheboygan" between commercials.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 am

Common sense would dictate that you’d make one document that could be shared with every new employee. How hard is that?

Also not hard... not taking selfies at the scene of a dam failure.

https://www.facebook.com/MeteorologistK ... 62/?type=3

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Lovin: true not nine feet... but with the amount of damage the flood waters caused in other locations, better safe than sorry. But emergency management officials that came up with the nine feet assessment might want to review the data down the road. There’s probably not good modeling for eight inches of rain in 48 hours leading to multiple dam failures.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 am

Who is "Four Lakes Operations" and what is their role in all of this?

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/article ... 947027.php
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0NqkcwHO ... -agreement

Seems to me the dam sites were under an Asset Purchase & Sale Agreement and that maintenance and ownership was in process of being transferred to some sort of regional government board.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 25, 2020 8:09 am

This company most likely has access to plenty of financial records of Boyce Hydro; they appear to be a financier:

http://www.thomasusaf.com/transaction-s ... power-llc/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

From what I understand Four Lakes is a regional governmental agency comprising of several counties that basically are the receivers of the Damn after Boyce abandoned it. I read in one article that they were going to have to create a special tax assessment for the region to fix the damn.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 pm

After reading this site and many others with public comment sections, I am astounded at how many people don't know the difference between "Damn" and "Dam."

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm

DAC wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 pm
After reading this site and many others with public comment sections, I am astounded at how many people don't know the difference between "Damn" and "Dam."
To demonstrate the difference: What happened in Edenville and Sanford were dam failures, while Gretchen Whitmer and Dana Nessel are damn failures.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon May 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm
DAC wrote:
To demonstrate the difference: What happened in Edenville and Sanford were dam failures, while Gretchen Whitmer and Dana Nessel are damn failures.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:36 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm
DAC wrote:
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Get a life, stalker.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic