Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Owosso barber

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Musicrewired

Re: Owosso barber

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Sure, the Governor runs the media gauntlet like a professional. Her name was linked to the governor's post years before she ran. That comes with the territory, and she's maximized her visibility. No question.

Karl's been promoting his books for years. He had a website before all the current activity got underway. His choice was to downplay that in favor of the "simple-barber-just-trying-to-cut-hair", and self-promotion isn't inherently a barbering trait. Karl, like Whitmer, knows his way around a press gathering.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:47 am

Or, he just despised what the governor was doing and decided to take a stand. That's what he said, and have not heard him mention his books.

Maybe Karl should run governor after he kicks her butt in court.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 pm

I'm sure there's a group of his customers who'd probably vote for him.

Karl has his books on display around his shop, and they're also promoted in the front window. This can be seen in news photos as well as during his press conference. He's been too busy being the barbering Howard Beale to hawk them, but I'm sure that once his story plays out, he'll be talking about them more often. He's enjoying the spotlight too much to give it up that easily.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 am

It's absurd to think he was waiting for a pandemic to promote his books - which only turns out to be a display in his barber shop (no mention of it on the air).

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:53 pm

Karl Manke has had a website advertising his books for a while. I'm seeing them dated back to 2011. This current situation fell into his lap. He's promoting himself now more than his books.

Someone has a dissenting opinion as to Karl's motives:

https://www.facebook.com/candy.higbee/p ... 6932398041

As to what's wrong with being an author? Nothing at all. More power to him there. Books are fine with me. Also, sure - Whitmer knows the spotlight. I'm not comparing Manke to her. The political arena is full of grandstanders.

I'm saying Karl, a self-proclaimed barber, is acting like he's much more than that. His primary reason for being known is for disregarding a governmental directive - not for his books or his barbering skills. That's made him an activist. This barbering thing is secondary now - it's what he's known for, but he's into the attention it's gotten him. Again, not a known trait of most small town barbers. The barber image is working for him now, but he's been promoting for years. That's why I don't buy the story the way he's trying to sell it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:24 am

The governor was very wrong in her approach, now a recall petition has been approved by the state board of canvassers and she is facing a legal fight in front of the MSC.

Karl was right for taking a stand. Nuff said.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:33 am

Amen.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:03 pm

Isn’t Karl’s 15 minutes of fame over yet?

Personally, I’d love to see Karl run for Governor. Not sure he could or should win... but it would definitely add a new dimension to these elections by focusing on real issues faced by real people.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Whitmer isn't the subject at hand ("Owosso barber" being our topic here), no matter how Karl stamps his feet and waves his scissors about her, or you choose to compare the two.

She's a typical politician, with higher political aspirations, party-based motivation, and partisan bias. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Agree or disagree with her, she's not uncommon.

Karl is a part-time author and apparently full-time barber who finds more of an audience held captive by their sitting in his barber chair. He's also fond of giving interviews while cutting hair, which either shows he can multitask, or his barber work isn't his primary interest. Barber/author/activist - not a common combination. Also, I wouldn't suggest either of the two is a phony. It's pretty clear where either one stands, even if Karl's act isn't very well-written.

Whitmer holds press conferences because that's part of the job. Karl holds one because that's what barbers usually do? Uh, sure.

Karl's more like Whitmer than she is like him. Like her, he's fond of giving his opinion, likes the attention, and wants to have things his way. She's in a position to be that way, however. He doesn't appear to have any leadership ability, since his crusade started and ended with him (and legal representation, which always seems to appear at these times). No one wants to follow him any further than getting an illicit haircut, covertly sticking it to the Governor and her crowd. He solicits donations for legal help on his website ahead of the literary items he's offering for sale. He's apparently not attracting any big money to back his cause.

He is, however, getting nice new things to put on his Facebook page, like the article titled: "Barber, Author, Philosopher, Friend... And now, 'America’s Barber'" (apparently he's twice the barber he used to be). His occupation listed in Facebook is Author, not surprisingly. Prior to his renaissance as a Barbering Icon, he hadn't posted anything on Facebook for over 18 months. Since then? Viva Karl! America's Barber is here!

https://m.facebook.com/karl.manke/

Karl's not ready for the big stage, and by this age, he's a bit behind in getting started. Perhaps he can settle for running for Owosso city council - they have 4 seats up for election this November.

Yes, the 15 minutes will hopefully be up soon. As of next week, his is just another barbershop among many open for business.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:09 am

A long winded one, too. Obviously a Whitmer lackey.

If he thinks Karl is old, what about Biden? LOL

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Lackey? You're funny. I said Karl's old to get started in politics. I couldn't care less about his age in general. Manke's the one who started referring to how old and near death he was.

Biden's old for the presidency, correct. Trump, Bill Clinton and W. were all born in the same year. Manke and Biden predate them. Those 3 presidents are from the leading edge of the Me Generation. American politics is and has been full of people who don't know (or care) when it's time to leave. Karl's late to that party, among other things.

Short-winded for your benefit. Rest those eyes, now. |I

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 am

From facebook
This is my thoughts, not up for debate. If this offends you, you may unfriend me!Scare people with a virus. Place them in quarantine. Count the number of dead every second of every day in every news headline. Send COVID positive patients directly into nursing homes to guarantee maximum death tolls. Close schools. Close all businesses. 40,000,000 out of jobs. Peak unemployment. Remove entertainment: parks, gyms, bars, restaurants, sports. No dating. No touching. No friends. No visits with family members outside the home. Mask people. Dehumanize them. Make them stand 6 feet apart. No smiles. Close temples and churches. Create a vacuum. Let depression and anxiety and desperation set in.
Then... ignite hatred and civil war. Civil unrest. Empty the prisons because of the virus and fill the streets with criminals. Drop pallets of bricks off on city streets. Send in ANTIFA and paid protestors to vandalize property as if they are freedom fighters. Undermine the law. Loot, Attack law enforcement, but tell government to order a stand-down.
We are all being baited by adversarial governments who want to destroy America - China, Iran, Russia. Have the Far Left exploit the racial wars to fuel the fires. And, in an election year where the people sit divided instead of United. They are laughing at us over seas.
Can’t take America in a war, destroy it from within.
We are being conditioned, manipulated, and programmed by multiple agendas as never before.....time to DO OUR OWN RESEARCH and MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS rather than eating everything being spoon-fed to us!
I copied and pasted to share, feel free to do the same.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Audio: there’s so much to dispute by linking the various items in your post. But I’ll leave you with one item you left out. 100,000+ people dead. The virus doesn’t care about the inconvenience to our lives. It just wants to spread and kill. 9/11 caused just 3000 deaths. Look at the outrage, the impact, the leadership that followed. Now look at what is and isn’t happening today... Our government leaders have failed us. But there’s a solution: if you’re unhappy about the COVID-19 response... you need to do your own education (not just read Facebook) and vote in November.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 pm

The only person I know that passed away from it had heart problems and COPD, despite being in his low 50's.

The FLU could have taken him out too, but that would never make the news.

Do we know if the total death rate is higher? I don't have proof that it is.

I don't think any government can fix this, it could be slowed but not stopped.

I some respects, getting It done and over with quicker might be better long term for herd immunity.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:02 pm

The media still talking to Karl I wonder if he gave the governor his books since there pals now LOL.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic