Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Layoffs

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Layoffs

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:13 am

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, HR is looking at layoffs at local stations for non-essential employees. It allows some of those employees to be eligible for unemployment. But it’s shortsighted since you need to have a plan to quickly ramp back up when business returns back to “normal”.

Beerbong

Re: Layoffs

Post by Beerbong » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:07 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:13 am
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, HR is looking at layoffs at local stations for non-essential employees. It allows some of those employees to be eligible for unemployment. But it’s shortsighted since you need to have a plan to quickly ramp back up when business returns back to “normal”.
If they’re non-essential, why is it short sighted?
When things get back to normal, you call them back, or hire new people. Not that difficult.
Quit being a drama queen.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 am

Being a drama queen is your MO.

Try talking to the workers who are the ones who lost their jobs with an uncertain future. If you believe all these workers are actually getting their jobs back, I have some swamp land in Seattle to sell you.

25-66 demands loyalty from its workers without any reciprocity from managers who so call “care” about them (sound out the big words, Beer). Hopefully the new GM has a heart, brain and a clue...

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Will anyone follow Chad to Seattle? I doubt it. Too big of a market for Dave, Ahmad, Stephanie.

Hey Stink! Remember the comment above?
You kick your co-workers in the teeth, and then expect us to believe you care about them?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 am

Manufactured crisis? People are dying. You might want to listen to our president who says to take this seriously.

But I do agree this is going to have a major, long lasting impact on businesses, their workers and our economy for a long time.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:39 am

You believe people aren’t dying?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Maybe your wit isn’t that funny for those of us working many hours covering this story and trying to educate the public about the dangers... only to be told time and time again that we’re “fake media”. The media didn’t cause this. We’re not shutting down schools and businesses. We didn’t cause a lack of protective gear for doctors and nurses on the front line of caring for patients. We are doing our best to report what’s happening and it’s impact on our viewers.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:29 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm
Maybe your wit isn’t that funny for those of us working many hours covering this story and trying to educate the public about the dangers... only to be told time and time again that we’re “fake media”. The media didn’t cause this. We’re not shutting down schools and businesses. We didn’t cause a lack of protective gear for doctors and nurses on the front line of caring for patients. We are doing our best to report what’s happening and it’s impact on our viewers.
No, it's pretty funny!

JRBlitz

Post by JRBlitz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Any truth to Scot Johnson and Jason Fielder getting the pink slips?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:53 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:50 am
This manufactured crisis is effecting a lot of people from their jobs, not just the entertainment industry.
sinklair wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 am
Manufactured crisis? People are dying... But I do agree this is going to have a major, long lasting impact on businesses, their workers and our economy for a long time.
In Italy, one in ten people who had the coronavirus has died, all because they did not ramp up social distancing and treatment plans until it was too late. I don't call this health crisis "manufactured".

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:46 pm

As someone who worked as an EMT whose job was to save lives, you seem to lack compassion for those most vulnerable to this disease. You seem to not to understand how COVID-19 is spread and kills at a rate much higher than those other disease due to the infectiousness while being asymptomatic.

You are correct about the massive impact that it’s having on the economy and the need for this to be over fast. However, the only way to do so is for people to stop spreading it (physical isolation/distancing) or to develop a vaccine (which could take 18+ months).

The media didn’t cause this. The lack of government preparation to respond to a pandemic is. Don’t believe me? Call your buddies in local hospitals who are now being overrun with Coronavirus cases that don’t have the basic supplies to protect themselves and their patients.

It’s time to stop blaming the media. We’re seeing all commercial advertising dry up.. which will likely result in massive layoffs for our industry.

We want this over as much as you do. But the solution is to follow the advice of medical professionals, stay home to prevent the spread, and start investing in our pandemic prevention and response.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 am

R Bedell wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:25 pm
What the Media DON'T tell you is, that Italy has the second largest elderly population in the world, behind Japan. Further the Media don't tell you, that Italy has a large population of Elderly that have smoked all their lives. The Media DON'T tell you, that most of the elderly deaths, were in conjunction of "OTHER" health conditions (ie: COPD, Lung cancer, Heart Disease, and Diabetes, etc).
But it still does not excuse the fact that Italy was flatfooted in their preparation against coronavirus.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:22 am

My sister in law is a nurse. I have a cousin who is an ER doc. They don’t believe the situation is overhyped. They believe politicians continue to downplay the pandemic and aren’t providing them the PPE they need. This is literally a matter of life and death for many people who are the sickest and face hospitals that are already being overrun. As a media professional, I go to primary sources, you know, the people actually treating patients at local hospitals. I encourage everyone (including R and my fellow journalists to do the same). Local media isn’t “throwing gasoline on the fire”, we’re reporting facts. Stay home and be safe so we can put this behind us faster and get back to business.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 am

What does that have to do anything with what is happening here?

Deaths are deaths. And the numbers continue to go up, way up here in Michigan.

Our local hospitals are at the point of no return. Stay home. Stay safe. Help end this pandemic faster. And if you should run into any of our first responders and health care officials, thank them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic