Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Average salaries

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Average salaries

Post by sinklair » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Anchors vary greatly but at 25-66 they are under six figures.

New reporters and producers are making about 30-35k.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Angie makes a pretty penny as well. But those large salaries are now being phased out by GMs seeking cheaper talent. The fact is anchors aren’t driving ratings like they once used to.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am

Actually most of us aren’t getting rich. Starting wages at 25-66 were under $30k for positions that required a college degree (producers, reporters). Sinclair recently announced that it would raise minimum wages to a whopping $15/hour. It’s a step in the right direction, but it’s the same minimum wage rate that other states have for jobs like fast food workers.

I’m not expecting to get paid the amount that Sinclair owner David Smith is making... but paying employees a livable wage and keeping veteran talent around to produce quality journalism go hand in hand.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:47 am

Professional journalists are living paycheck to paycheck. I know several that have to work more than one job to make ends meet. This in a medium-sized TV market. This needs to change.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Says the person who claims to be “independently wealthy.”

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:12 pm

What business is anyone's salery to anyone here? "It," from you being quoted above... If you do not plan on working in broadcasting or never had been.... MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! Fukkin yenta!
Last edited by Deleted User 15062 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:14 pm
And by the way, I made more money in my sleep last night than you’ll ever make.
Yet another totally asinine comment from the OCD Clueless. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ouch....TMI. That silk nightie and Craigslist paid off then! Talking to "It," not R B. Best to not inform us of your "business decisions."

By the way, Disability is NOT making money. You are clearly mentally handicapped. As I keep pointing out, Bipolar 1 is plainly obvious.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:34 am

When will some people realize the more they quote and discuss, the more we see the Bipolar 1? One never has to unblock, to see the idiotic quotes of "It," proving the diagnosis over and over. Maybe that's why many posters are showing dismay in many forums of this board. Being a yenta will not cure "it's" bipolar. Therapy and pills will. Maybe being off the internet might help too. I'm not trying to hold anyone down.... however "it's" passive agression is holding me down. I just cannot see it right away. See 2 can easily play the victim. Does it make life better? Definitely not. Just makes everyone who knows better see the victim as a negative person, who needs to pick on others to feel better... ie., bullying.

If "it" has an issue of me saying to mind "it's" own business, then it has other mental health diagnoses, which a qualified therapist should tackle.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am

I don’t think it’s off limits to discuss broadcasting companies that make hundreds of millions of dollars in annual profits and are responsible for the consolidation of this industry paying their employees barely above minimum wage.

Most of these companies are publicly traded and you can see the salaries top executives are making at a time when they are pushing local stations to cut costs, salaries, and potions... while asking all of us to produce more stories on more platforms.

If I agree that people need to focus on the topic and engage in a respectful discussion.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:34 pm

sinklair wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am
I don’t think it’s off limits to discuss broadcasting companies that make hundreds of millions of dollars in annual profits and are responsible for the consolidation of this industry paying their employees barely above minimum wage.

Most of these companies are publicly traded and you can see the salaries top executives are making at a time when they are pushing local stations to cut costs, salaries, and potions... while asking all of us to produce more stories on more platforms.

If I agree that people need to focus on the topic and engage in a respectful discussion.
I do. It's not any of anyone's business who makes what. And the troll who asked the question, quoted earlier, seems to admit to only being a fan. "it" has admitted to not having any broadcast experiences. "It" thinks "it" should be here, just because "it" likes to listen to the radio and watch TV. This was 2 summers ago. With that said, the question is not relevant to the OP (original poster)

Also, even stockholders do not need to know salaries. They just need a budget.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm
Fair market value is 100% on limits.

Coworkers that discuss pay will find out whether they are underpaid for doing the same job as someone else.

It’s your right to discuss pay among your coworkers, managers, and anyone else.

IT’S YOUR RIGHT!!!
ROTF - LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok Pansy.... so it's also my right for you to stop stalking me. Not the first time I said this to you "it." It's my right.... since you are screaming about rights.

Also, one needs to check contracts. Also noting trade secrets, salaries are considered a trade secret. So no... it's more than likely not anyone's right.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Actually several trade organizations like RNTDA (Radio TV News Directors Assoc) track trends in news department staffing and salaries. Most stations/HR Depts look at this information to see if they are in line with market rates. Sinclair and it’s stations have this information as do it’s employees have access to these studies. Trade secrets might not be accurate if your looking at the macro view of what certain positions are paid, versus an individual which would be private info. As 25-66 goes, we’re on the low end, but it seems my colleagues at the other two stations also make lower than the mid-size market range.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:19 pm

sinklair wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Actually several trade organizations like RNTDA (Radio TV News Directors Assoc) track trends in news department staffing and salaries. Most stations/HR Depts look at this information to see if they are in line with market rates. Sinclair and it’s stations have this information as do it’s employees have access to these studies. Trade secrets might not be accurate if your looking at the macro view of what certain positions are paid, versus an individual which would be private info. As 25-66 goes, we’re on the low end, but it seems my colleagues at the other two stations also make lower than the mid-size market range.
So you are telling me that this question need not be on buzzboard? As in being researchable?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Average salaries are absolutely searchable by market size, not station or specific market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic