Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who proofreads this crap?

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Herm

Re: Who proofreads this crap?

Post by Herm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:23 am
Herm: I’m calling out management. There is a lack of institutional oversight over these social media platforms that allow these easily correctable mistakes from being published. That clearly falls on management to fix it. We have a process in place to review stories by multiple people before it goes over air. Why isn’t there a similar process for web stories and social media posts? You worked at 25. You now work in Detroit. This crap would have been fixed by now by managers who care. The problem we have now is managers who have priorities misplaced at 25-66.
At no point in your post did you say or even imply this. You DID post multiple mistakes made by your coworkers and call their work crap.
I’ve worked in television for quite a while. In my career, I’ve learned many lessons. Some of them are... people who work in glass control rooms shouldn’t throw stones AND if you’re not offering a solution then you’re part of the problem.
Dude... call out the suits all you want but don’t start publicly shaming your colleagues. Eventually... they will figure it out and when that happens... well... have fun at work.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 am

Herm, if you’ve read my previous posts, I’ve been clear where the problems are at 25-66. There are a lot of good people doing good work, only to be undermined by management who doesn’t care about quality journalism. They only care about profit margins and cutting costs. There is no local control, hence why you get the biased corporate must runs. Their fix? A lame rebranding campaign that amounts to lipstick on a pig. Good people have been let go... others fled at the end of their contracts. Management’s solution? Grilled cheese. We make the least in the market while the accountant in chief gets bonuses for keeping wages down. We are doing more news since Sinclair took over but ratings have not improved. We are micromanaged. Ideas go to die in the corner office by a news director who is too afraid to stand up for her employees and is too afraid to stand up to the GM and group news manager. Morale is at an all-time low. As one of my colleagues say, I’m just “keeping it real...”

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:01 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 am
Herm, if you’ve read my previous posts, I’ve been clear where the problems are at 25-66. There are a lot of good people doing good work, only to be undermined by management who doesn’t care about quality journalism. They only care about profit margins and cutting costs. There is no local control, hence why you get the biased corporate must runs. Their fix? A lame rebranding campaign that amounts to lipstick on a pig. Good people have been let go... others fled at the end of their contracts. Management’s solution? Grilled cheese. We make the least in the market while the accountant in chief gets bonuses for keeping wages down. We are doing more news since Sinclair took over but ratings have not improved. We are micromanaged. Ideas go to die in the corner office by a news director who is too afraid to stand up for her employees and is too afraid to stand up to the GM and group news manager. Morale is at an all-time low. As one of my colleagues say, I’m just “keeping it real...”
Again... not what you posted in this discussion.
In THIS discussion... you publicly shamed your coworkers for making mistakes.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am

Mistakes are just that. Should we accept them? No. Things need to improve and it starts with the top. I think I’ve been very clear about that for some time now.

If you don’t like my approach, then suggest your own changes/solutions. You have some insight into how things run at 25. You know the personalities. Attacking me doesn’t fix the problem.

The fact is things won’t change until changes are made at the top.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

Herm wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:24 am
sinklair wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 pm
On 25-66’s Facebook page:

“So, what happens if you have a warrant from Art Van. We asked the question.”

First it’s “warranties” — not “warrants.” Second, they left off the question mark. Come on guys, it’s basic 4th grade grammar.

And just so you don’t think this was an isolated mistake, here are other sloppy social media posts from Mid-Michigan NOW over the last couple of hours...

Example #2: “JUST IN: A popular Fenton store has announced it will be closing.” If the Red Fox Outfitters was popular, it wouldn’t be closing...

Example #3: “The coronavirus is not the first epidemic the United States has faced.” — really?

Example #4: “Woman hits train in Tuscola County.” — should be “woman’s car” crashed into train.

And if you think 12 and 5 are any better... nope! Does anyone proof these posts before publishing? How do managers allow this to go on?
This is incredibly disrespectful to your coworkers. It’s one thing to call out bad management but to refer to the work your colleagues are doing as crap in a public forum simply because they make some mistakes is just wrong. If you’re in a position to assist them, then you should do so instead of insulting their work. If you are not in a position to assist them, then keep it in the control room like the rest of us do.
Herm makes a great point. Same point I’ve made in previous posts.
If you are as good as you claim, you could do more for your station as a mentor, instead of being a moron in this forum.
All you’re doing is poisoning the pot.

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am
Mistakes are just that. Should we accept them? No. Things need to improve and it starts with the top. I think I’ve been very clear about that for some time now.

If you don’t like my approach, then suggest your own changes/solutions. You have some insight into how things run at 25. You know the personalities. Attacking me doesn’t fix the problem.

The fact is things won’t change until changes are made at the top.
Everyone makes mistakes... even you... even me. Not all mistakes start at the top. Sometimes, it’s a simple mistake made on the ground level like a typo in a headline or a camera shot out of focus or a missed button punch. Do we let these mistakes go by without addressing them? Of course not! But that involves having constructive conversations with your coworkers so everyone can police themselves a bit. It certainly doesn’t involve pointing out those mistakes in a public forum. You can spin it into another battle in your war with the management at your station but, in reality, you pointed out your coworkers mistakes in a public forum. You even went as far as mocking them for their mistakes.
It’s not the first time you’ve done this. You pointed out a mistake made online by 5 a while ago. You were insulting in that post as well. I had to remind you then that you are no different than the people making those mistakes. I’m not attacking you, I just felt the need to remind you again.
I don’t talk to many people at 25 anymore. I can assure you this though, in my time there, we were able to give and receive constructive criticism without calling anyone’s work “crap”.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am
I’m just surprised Sinklair hasn’t been discovered and fired. It’s not like they have a lot of employees to question.
It’s simple. Stink doesn’t work there.
That will stir up a shit storm.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm

I do work at 25-66. I’ve been careful. Management’s on the war path trying to figure out who the mole is. But up to this point, they haven’t been able to figure out who I am. The fact is these are expressions felt by lots of people. Not just me. And that management is more concerned about trying to figure out who is airing out their furry laundry as opposed to fixing the problems I’ve laid out is very telling about the culture here.

Or maybe I am an ex-employee if that makes you feel better. It doesn’t change the facts I’ve laid out.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:45 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm
I do work at 25-66. I’ve been careful. Management’s on the war path trying to figure out who the mole is. But up to this point, they haven’t been able to figure out who I am. The fact is these are expressions felt by lots of people. Not just me. And that management is more concerned about trying to figure out who is airing out their furry laundry as opposed to fixing the problems I’ve laid out is very telling about the culture here.

Or maybe I am an ex-employee if that makes you feel better. It doesn’t change the facts I’ve laid out.
I seriously don’t think anyone there gives a crap who you are.

I think what they call it in the tv business is, “you’ve jumped the shark”.

Ho-hum.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Beer: you actually seem obsessed over my identity. Give it a break.

Lovin: multiple people check on air scripts. EP/producer, anchors, even the news director when there are concerns.

However, no one looks over website and social media posts... which allows for these types of mistakes to happen over and over again.

It is on both the employee who typed it wrong — and for management who puts in the systems (or lack thereof) — to get it right. It’s been discussed multiple times about the need for quality control measures, but nothing ever changes and these mistakes keep happening.

Who knows? Maybe the accountant in chief will come out of his office for more than one of his “look at me” tours of the newsroom and actually do something constructive. I’m not holding my breath, but it would be a nice change of pace.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:38 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:37 pm
Beer: you actually seem obsessed over my identity. Give it a break.

Lovin: multiple people check on air scripts. EP/producer, anchors, even the news director when there are concerns.

However, no one looks over website and social media posts... which allows for these types of mistakes to happen over and over again.

It is on both the employee who typed it wrong — and for management who puts in the systems (or lack thereof) — to get it right. It’s been discussed multiple times about the need for quality control measures, but nothing ever changes and these mistakes keep happening.

Who knows? Maybe the accountant in chief will come out of his office for more than one of his “look at me” tours of the newsroom and actually do something constructive. I’m not holding my breath, but it would be a nice change of pace.
Stink
I’ve never cared about your identity.
It’s all about what you are.
A back biter.
A cockroach.
The type of person everyone is happy to see leave the room.
Once again you flexed your journalism muscle and came up short.
I’m sure you’re use to that.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Beer: more name calling. That also says lots about the quality of your “character”.

You claim not to work at 25-66. Try talking to anyone in the newsroom. First, if they tell you they aren’t logging in to the Buzzboard daily, they are lying to you. Everyone is talking about mismanagement. They may not say it out loud, they may not always agree with my approach, but they definitely agree with the sentiment that the station is broken and those in charge are absolutely clueless about how to fix it.

And once again, you’ve had multiple opportunities to suggest changes to improve things at 25-66. You can’t, you won’t. You’re as spineless as the managers that run this place (or maybe you’re one of them?). So go on and write more insults. When management finally is fired for incompetence, I’ll be throwing a grilled cheese party at my place.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:35 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 pm
Beer: more name calling. That also says lots about the quality of your “character”.

You claim not to work at 25-66. Try talking to anyone in the newsroom. First, if they tell you they aren’t logging in to the Buzzboard daily, they are lying to you. Everyone is talking about mismanagement. They may not say it out loud, they may not always agree with my approach, but they definitely agree with the sentiment that the station is broken and those in charge are absolutely clueless about how to fix it.

And once again, you’ve had multiple opportunities to suggest changes to improve things at 25-66. You can’t, you won’t. You’re as spineless as the managers that run this place (or maybe you’re one of them?). So go on and write more insults. When management finally is fired for incompetence, I’ll be throwing a grilled cheese party at my place.
Well, there’s the problem. Instead of logging into the Buzzboard at work you should be working. I thought everybody there was so overworked, with no time for lunch, or no time to do quality work (your words).
But the “whole newsroom” has time to read the Buzzboard at work.
The more you write, the more you undermine your cause.
As someone else said earlier, have fun at work tomorrow!

Edited!

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:04 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 pm

If I don’t work there., why would I try talking to anyone in the newsroom?
Also.
If you start off a sentence with “First” there should be a “Second” somewhere in the course of your thought.
Maybe you thought you were going someplace, but obviously you weren’t.

You keep saying I’ve had multiple opportunities to give you suggestions on how to improve things there.
I have told you over and over again, not my job.
You must be dense.
Edited!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:06 am

First, you’re smart (or so you keep telling us)... not that others here believe anything you say since you can’t back up your BS.

You keep telling me to be more productive by mentoring others. In your own words, “not my job”. You may want to call 25-66 GM Chad Conklin at 810-785-8866 or email him at ahole@sbgtv.com with that suggestion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic