Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just another f-off Friday at 25-66

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Just another f-off Friday at 25-66

Post by sinklair » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:19 pm

Ask any of the local News Directors if they would let that fly. Then ask the HR Directors. Then the GMs. Then the corporate lawyers. I’d give you the GM’s bonus if there were even one person that would agree to allowing a new employee to simply cross off the non-compete or damages clauses.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Yes, all contracted employees sign the “boiler plate” contract that includes these provisions. If you ask for the non-compete or damages clauses to be excluded, you’re told (essentially) take it or they’ll withdraw the offer and sign the next sucker in line. It’s not a fair fight. And those in charge (the GMs) who could make the exception have no incentive to do so.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:56 am

sinklair wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 pm
Yes, all contracted employees sign the “boiler plate” contract that includes these provisions. If you ask for the non-compete or damages clauses to be excluded, you’re told (essentially) take it or they’ll withdraw the offer and sign the next sucker in line. It’s not a fair fight. And those in charge (the GMs) who could make the exception have no incentive to do so.
By definition, An agreement between private parties creating mutual obligations enforceable by law. The basic elements required for the agreement to be a legally enforceable contract are: mutual assent, expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration; capacity; and legality.

The terms of the contract must have been acceptable to you or you wouldn’t of signed.
The contract, while I’m sure is slanted towards the employer, also offers you some protection. If you turn out to be a dud, and they want to get rid of you, they have to pay out the remainder of your salary to the end of the contract.
As far as the non compete. Any 2 bit lawyer with a degree from “The Trump School of Lawyering” could get you out of that.
No judge in their right mind is going to keep someone from trying to better their work situation.

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:56 am

sinklair wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:34 pm

And Lovin sounds like Mark T.

I’ve spent a lot of time with Mark T.
This statement couldn’t be further from the truth. Mark would never say some of the things that LL101 has posted in this forum.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:48 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:53 am
Beerbong wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:56 am
sinklair wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 pm
The contract, while I’m sure is slanted towards the employer, also offers you some protection. If you turn out to be a dud, and they want to get rid of you, they have to pay out the remainder of your salary to the end of the contract.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

You think an organization that forces people to pay to leave are going to pay out a contract of someone they fire?

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Only happens in professional sports, pal.
What would you know about it? You’ve never worked in the TV business. Correct?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Beer: I’m not following your logic.

You say I should leave 25-66 if I don’t like it here.

I explain why the contracts are structured where that isn’t possible without large fines and future work restrictions.

Then you say there’s nothing wrong with the contracts because they protect “dud” employees.

With all due respect, you’re trying to have it both ways.

I do agree with you on one point, however, that the contracts are slanted in the stations’ favor. I think that’s part of the problem. A little more parity would benefit both sides. Eliminating the damages and no-compete clause forces the station to work with good employees to keep them... and it eliminates barriers for unhappy workers to seek greener pastures.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:24 am

When you sign, you enter into an agreement with your employer. You can’t leave without negotiating out of the remainder of the contract. They can’t get rid of a dud employee without negotiation out of the remainder of the contract. The no-compete clause isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. Once the contract has been satisfied, you can do what ever you want employment wise. It happens all the time.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 am

Whether it’s fair or not to have to sign a contract in order to work is debatable. People do it all the time, and have long, happy careers at the same station. I’m not taking sides. Personally, I don’t like contracts.
If you’re unhappy and disgruntled you’ll just have to “adult” your way through a year or 2 of being miserable. Sound like that’s where you are. Look at it as an opportunity to work on your skills and get ready for your next adventure. Or...Stay and sign another contract.
Either way. Your station will continue, with or without you.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 am

This makes me wonder how a person moving from one station to another, owned by the same company, works? Does the contract from the first station follow you, or do you sign a new one? And would the two contracts be different from one another (besides station id)?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 am

Sinclair makes you sign a new contract when moving to a new station in the company or if you’re changing job titles (for instance moving from a reporter to an anchor position).

I’m pretty sure that’s a similar process for Gray and Meredith as well.

From what I’ve seen, Sinclair’s contracts are basically identical. The only real changes are salary, hair-clothing-makeup allowances, and outs limited to 3 makers where Sinclair doesn’t already own or operate a TV station.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 am

The contract no-compete clause is enforceable for one year after the end of the contract... even if the employee is fired. Don’t believe me, there’s a former 25-66 anchor suing the station because she still can’t find work after the GM, News Director, HR Director told her that her services were no longer needed.

Beerbong

Post by Beerbong » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:48 am

lovinlife: You’re an idiot!
lovinlife: No I’m not!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:29 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 am
Sinclair makes you sign a new contract when moving to a new station in the company or if you’re changing job titles (for instance moving from a reporter to an anchor position).

I’m pretty sure that’s a similar process for Gray and Meredith as well.

From what I’ve seen, Sinclair’s contracts are basically identical. The only real changes are salary, hair-clothing-makeup allowances, and outs limited to 3 makers where Sinclair doesn’t already own or operate a TV station.
Ok. Kristen Lowe's move from 7&4 is what made me think of that

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:58 am

I am continually amazed at how there is NOTHING that 101 doesn't know. Bravo. It's also nice to see how his/her influence on the forum has finally come to fruition. Again, BRAVO!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Not mine as well... especially since Lovin can’t stay on topic!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic